OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$100 vs. $700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paramountsurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $100 vs. $700
    Posted: March/18/2015 at 18:04
What is the major difference between a $100 optic and a $700 optic? The view is longer, more clear, more durable, but is it really worth it?

Can someone please explain to me the extreme price difference?

Edited by cheaptrick - March/18/2015 at 21:25
www.paramountsurvival.com
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2015 at 21:13
I have never heard if these. There a lot of people buying binoculars overseas and branding them to a house brand. Not being able to document the history and specifications of a product or its true manufacturer would scare me away. How does the importer stand behind the product? That is a big question that can only be shown over extended time. Does the importer have a brick and mortar address or is it a web phantom.
  If you want to bet on a race horse. You had better know its record. In today's global market place, It is always best to know who you are dealing with. They had better be able to provide information as to the specifics of what they are selling. Buyer be ware.
 Please be sure to re read the rules of the Forum. Especially Rule #3 You agreed to them upon joining.
Welcome to the OT and hang around to learn a lot. I have found more education here than any place else on the web when it comes to sporting optics.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 07:03

The glass quality does get better as you ride up the money scale. Judging by the nature of your question, you would probably be best served to stick with the $100 stuff. If you use the entry level products regularly, you'll be able to look through the $700 stuff and know the difference, and  make an educated decision on whether you want to spend the extra money.

I have been surprisingly happy with a pair of Carson XM 8x32's that I picked up a couple years ago for under $100 (hunting binos).  I have also had the pleasure of looking through a pair of $1800 Swarovski's, and if I made 2-3 times more money then I do, I would probably own a pair.  If my primary passion in life involved looking through binoculars, I would own a pair on my current salary.  Collectively I log a couple hours  per year looking through my binos, and an upgrade may be desired, but not a high priority.

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 07:42
Its always a judgement call where you weigh cost vs features. Keep in mind that warranty service cost the manufacturer something so buying name brands with a known history of service after the sale means you are paying more but you are getting more long term. As price goes up glass quality and features go up. The question is do you need the better one or do you want it, and if you cant afford it you go with what you can.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic