OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new ar15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7mmfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new ar15
    Posted: March/10/2015 at 14:36
I am planning to buy a ar-15 to coyote hunt with. My budget is 1000.00.I would appreciate any help or input. Thanks. I plant to put a scope on it also.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 14:54
What distances are you planning on shooting at?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 19:56
Colt 6920. Double duty. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 21:18
I'd recommend just building one, their like Lego's for adult boys, built this 300 blk carbine while I wait for the paperwork of another toy!

Once done, this may go to my daughter, if she can get it past my son! Wink
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
637mase View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 637mase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 21:27
Hey 7mmfan,

I've been researching this topic also and the ArmaLite Defender DEF15 with a Burris 1x4 MTAC and an 

American Defense ADRECON1 mount, is on my short list. It pushes the budget but that was gonna happen 

anyway.(lol) I would really like a mid length but the DEF15 is still a good option for me, as far as budget 

goes. think it would be a good 50 to 200 yd. gun. Also looking at PSA rifles, but the price goes up a little. 

Looking forward to see what the real hunters on the forum come up with for you, as I only punch paper 

and ring steel.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 00:31
I have been very pleased with my Rock River AR15s.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 06:33
If you watch PSA's website closely you can get a good deal, right now they have their 16" mid length CHF upper with bcg and charging handle on sale for $399, their MOE SL lower build kit for $129, and you can get a blemished lower for $59. That gets you a quality rifle for $600 plus transfer fees for the lower.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 10:17
I think I paid 48 bucks tax included for that Anderson stripped lower. Mil spec is mil spec. Trigger pull is 6.5lbs. But crisp. It's easy to polish up the trigger engagement points for smooth trigger. Have about 1100 in it as she sits.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 11:30

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I think I paid 48 bucks tax included for that Anderson stripped lower. Mil spec is mil spec. Trigger pull is 6.5lbs. But crisp. It's easy to polish up the trigger engagement points for smooth trigger. Have about 1100 in it as she sits.

I agree with you, I can get lowers cheaper locally, not sure where the OP is, but I am sure he can.  My post was just to point out that he can put a quality rifle together for well below his budget.  I put the same upper on the first lower I built and it now has close to 6,000 trouble free rounds though it, including three carbine classes.  There are lots of deals out there on AR parts if you look.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 16:01
Colt 6920.....Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 16:17
They sell the Colt 6920 at Walmarts for $900.  My walmart always has one or two of them in stock. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sgav8r View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 14:35
If you haven't already, check out the ATH (Advanced Tactical Hunter) by RRA (Rock River Arms). A lot of fun for the money and would make a great lighter weight varminter. I think you can find them in the 1100 range.
SGAV8R
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 15:25

Hold the phone, this may stretch your limits but this is a smokin' deal.

http://opticstalk.com/fathers-day-sale-billet-match-grade-ar15_topic41706.html

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 18:07
Agree with Steelbenz.  Stretch the budget $300 if you can and get twice the quality and superior accuracy potential.  This is a deal on a carbine that can be configured for all possible uses.  I have several items from Seekins and quality is first rate.  You won't be sorry if you can make the leap.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic