OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Adjustable Objective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walstien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustable Objective
    Posted: July/19/2006 at 12:50
I'm thinking about putting a Burris Tactical 3-9x40 on my ar-15 SPR build.  Up until know, I've been an aimpoint guy, and don't have much experience with magnification.  Should I be worried that the Burris Tactical 3-9x40 doesn't have an Adjustable Objecive?  I'll be shooting from 50-300 yards.  Will this be a problem?  What should i be expecting with a fixed objective?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 13:49
Adjustable objective is only useful above 10x, or so, magnification.

With a lower magnification there is really no need for separate parallax adjustment unless you are an airgunner or rimfire shooter shooting at very close ranges (less than 25 yards).  Most centerfire riflescopes have parallax set at the factory to about 100-150 yards (of course this settings changes a little depending on temperature, humidity, etc.).  That setting works pretty well for your intended range of 50-300 yards.

For your intended application, you should be happy with the 3-9x40 Burris FFII Tactical.

ILya
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 21:26
I'll be shooting from 50-300 yards.  Will this be a problem?  What should i be expecting with a fixed objective?

You can expect to see issues with stray shots for no good reason at longer distances ( for that scope, 200-300 is long
with regard to lack of parallax).
Having a fixed parallax isn't a handicap if you're aware that consistant cheekweld and head position are alittle more important than on an adjustable unit.  No big deal at all, you just have to know it's there as a potential issue.
Knowing that wil help you consciously be more consistant in the things that make a good shooter a better shooter.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 21:57
I'll generally defer to Mike on this issue, although I am surprised to hear that it will make a practical difference until you go a bit further out than 300 yards.

ILya
walstien View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walstien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 22:05
Two heavy hitters weigh in... anyone else?

What does SWFA have to say?

I appreciate the info guys.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2006 at 07:59
Koshkin,
we're pretty much onthe same page.
The lackof an adjustable para can move a bullet a couple inches at 300 yards if head position is inconsistant and the scope is parallaxed for  100 yards.  That 2 inches at 300 would drive me nuts.  It's all in the perspective 

Make sure you properly focus the reticle for your eye and alot of this is mitigated.
David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2006 at 08:58

Originally posted by walstien walstien wrote:

Should I be worried that the Burris Tactical 3-9x40 doesn't have an Adjustable Objecive?  I'll be shooting from 50-300 yards.  Will this be a problem?  What should i be expecting with a fixed objective?

If your hunting large game, you will have a fairly large kill zone to work with, so impact shift will not be an issue.  If your trying to hit the same spot at different distances, then an AO, or side PA would be needed. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2006 at 12:26
Mike, that's what I typically do.  I try make sure that I have a consistent cheekweld and that the reticle is focused for my eye, and I seldom have problems until I start shooting quite a bit further out. 

Once, I start missing badly at longer ranges, I kinda need to be able to blame parallax.  Otherwise, I'd have to admit that I am a lousy shot.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic