OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reichs-Jugendf端hrung binos - WW2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miliuskus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reichs-Jugendf端hrung binos - WW2
    Posted: February/12/2015 at 08:31
Hi,
New on the block here. I have a set of 6X30 field binoculars stamped with: "Reichs-Jugendf端hrung" [Reich or Hitler Youth Leadership]. There is an umlaut over the second '端'. They were brought back from Europe by a very dear friend of mine who is 93, who fought as a machine gunner with 'Big Red' during WW ll. Very interesting story as to how he actually acquired them in Belgium..

The binoculars perform pretty well for it's age. I would say that they are of good condition, both optically and mechanically with good clarity. Diopter adjustments are very tight on both sides. Certainly have seen some 'battle' time with loss of paint /scratches to outside but not on lenses. Also stamped on the bins are the numbers "2838" into the one end of the focus wheel and "6 x 30" on the end of the objective.

I've looked all over the internet and emailed back and forth with several other folks with interests in WW2 militaria for info on another exact pair like these without any luck. I've found and been sent pics of other binos that were made by Leidolf in Wetzlar and they are a near exact match. Has anyone seen a pair like these? It's time that I part with these and find someone who would appreciate. Do you have an idea who the manufacturer may have been as they are not marked as such? Might you be able to recommend someone who is a collector of militaria optics whom I might speak to? Any ideas on collectibility and value?

I was told by a collector in Germany that they are 'Leidolf' and that they made 2500 of them special production, for issue to the Reich Youth. Apparently Leidolf did not put their makers mark on them when made. Any thoughts?
Hey thanks everyone for their time!
Mark (below link to photos)
http://s659.photobucket.com/user/Follyhil/library/Reichs%20Jugendfuhrung%20binoculars%20WW2%20German
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2015 at 09:12
Very interesting. I don't know how much help I can give you, but I'll try.
First, if your friend has a story of how he came into position of the binos, get it down on paper and have him sign it. It will add value to the binos.
You may also want to look on this sight:http://www.mg42.us/index.php?sid=69597e17504d98b659586cbffbced067

I'm sure there is more than one person on there that can help you.

I know there is also a gentleman in New Jersey that specializes in WWII optics, but I don't have any info on him at this time, but I may see him at the Show of Shows Military Collectors Show at the end of this month in Louisville, Ky. Fair and Expo center.

As for the manufacture, Germany dropped manufacturer names during the war and adopted codes. There are books that have the codes and manufacturer names.

I'll try to get more info for you as I can
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
miliuskus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miliuskus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2015 at 09:30
Thank you BeltFed! That looks like a great site and I am going to inquire there about them as well. Unfortunately my father-in-law just passed and the binos were given to me by him. Never thought about getting something like that fromhim. LocoHe explained to me that he removed them from a German officer about January of 1945 in Belgium during the Ardennes Counteroffensive ("The Battle of the Bulge"). This great American went on to be a guard at the Nuremberg Trials!
I'll let everyone know if I uncover anything along the way. Tks again for your help.
Best, Mark
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 06:31
Holy mackerel!   

I was gonna say that the manufacturers did not put their names on things during the war so the Allies wouldn't know who built stuff, so they wouldn't know who to bomb!! But BeltFed already said that.....

Sounds very neato!  

Visit the Ed Show
miliuskus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miliuskus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 09:10
Yes, and these also do not have any identifying numbers on them which I guess they went to during the War. From other pictures I've seen of what few binos that Leidolf in Wetzlar, Germany built, they sure do look like one of theirs.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 20:38
There was also a more or less illegal "cottage industry" in Germany after the WW II to rebuild used military binoculars.  There were lots of old binoculars and people needed something to sell.  SO there can be some re-manufactured stuff with markings that match nothing.  I have a really nice 6x30 Individual Focus binocular.  That has a name plate that is almost certainly Zeiss.  Nothing else matches anything found on any 6x30 IF Zeiss binocular.  It looks like a Silvarem/Silvamar.  Nice view, kind of narrow fov, but from the image, the overall build it acts like a Zeiss, but I really have no idea what it is.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

miliuskus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miliuskus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 21:55
It's so great to know what's really out there as far as optics anomalies and to be able to learn about them right here on Optics Talk makes is even better! Thanks for sharing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic