OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a Scope
    Posted: February/09/2015 at 12:31
Hello, I have been shooting since I was a kid, but I was never much on hunting. I think I am going to start hunting White Tail and Turkey here in WV. I just bought a Winchester Model 70 Fajen 30-06 NRA Edition.
I will obviously need a scope, but I am completely ignorant where hunting optics are concerned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried looking through a few Nikon scopes, but I quickly realized I didn't know enough on hunting optics to make an informed decision.
My gun is the same as the one in the link below.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1491-limited-edition-winchester-model-70-classic-featherweight-nra-commemorative-bolt-action-rifle-38308/
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 12:43
Budget to include mounting system?

Welcome to optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Tomdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 12:46
oh, sorry, I would like to keep it under $500 give or take a hundred. Although I'm not sure if that much would be needed.
Thanks! looking through the forums, this seems to be exactly where I need to be.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 15:19
Gonna carry it up many hills in WV? Hunting in close woods or on green fields and clear cuts?
Tomdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 11:00
Yea, hills and woods of WV, where I will be hunting there is a field that runs the length of the property that is at most a 300 yard line of sight. But other than than that 100 yards hilltop to hilltop
Tomdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 11:02
I noticed that some scopes of the laser range finding option, that is very nice. I was looking at some Leopold, but I didn't know which had the rangefinder option.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 13:14
The Burris Eliminator III is the likely experience leader in this field. Just realize when you add a lot of electronics in a rifle scope you do increase the chances of a failure.  You will also increase the weight. I prefer to keep my electronics separate from my glass for these reasons. You can search on the OT for the Burris Eliminator and find several favorable reviews.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 13:23
I'm really warming up to my Leupold VX-R 3-9x with the Firedot.
Given your application, I'd recommend it with the #4 Firedot or whatever it's called. Within your budget too. Get some Tally lightweight rings and your set, my friend.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 16:18

Here is a good resource for budget/application recommendations. Compliments of Ilya.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=90

Here is what I would use for rings, simple, lightweight, and inexpensive.

http://swfa.com/Winchester-C2623.aspx

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 16:36
That is one nice rifle!

I would put something that matches well on top.

I think a Euro scope like one of these would look good and perform great:

or a gloss scope that would look just right on top:

I know the first two options are over your stated price range, but they are fine scopes for your fine rifle.
-Matt
trentsmill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trentsmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 16:56
I bought a Nikon Prostaff 5 new last year. It is a 4.5 to 18 power BCD $500. The BCD type scopes are most popular for hunting as you can quickly hold on one of the range dots based upon your range from target. You might save some money with a lower power zoom or a fixed power scope. I find that I am usually on max but I hunt groundhogs mostly.

This scope is a Secondary Focus type scope. This means that as you zoom the recital stays the same size. That means that those dots will change range as well. Nikon has a free smartphone app you can use to quickly see what range each dot represents or you can use their website and print out some charts and pictures. I keep a laminated table in my butt for fast reference. Butt, i.e. butt of the gun Bucky

I highly recommend that you do not buy a cheap scope and there are many. The cost of time and ammo will eat up any savings if you like to shoot with some accuracy. $300 or more and a good brand will do nicely.

You might consider a fixed power 4x or 6x scope if you are going to hunt deer. I think we sometimes make life too complicated when it is not necessary. Besides, giving the critters a little chance just adds to the sport of it.

I live in VA and the terrain here is very similar. If I am sitting, I first check some ranges where I think a critter may appear and determine the best low power of my scope for a sudden near shot. Then I get the iPhone table and memorize the dots/ranges, it is only two or three numbers.

Most likely you will, as you stated, be hunting within 75-300 yards at target zones of 10". This means for the longest range you could just aim at the top of that target zone or a few inches higher and the bullet will likely hit that zone.

I went with Nikon as I have been a Nikon camera buff for decades. Two years ago I dropped my rifle, sent the scope back to Nikon and they fixed whatever was messed up for free. They have a lifetime warranty.

I am getting ready to by a new scope and looking very hard at the SWFA Classic with MilRad for more long distance shots at groundhogs and targets.

A good friend loves his SWFA scopes so there are some things to consider.

Ok, too much information? Sorry. But it is complicated and not easy to reverse your decision after purchase and use.

Best of luck
Trent M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 17:52
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I too am a fan of fixed power scopes...in some circumstances, but for big game hunting, I'd opt for a variable, with a $400 budget.  

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 19:29
Leupold Vx-3 2.5-8x36... Small, compact, bright, good warranty, 400 bucks. For mounts Talleys one piece are good to go.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 20:22
It is very important that you mount the scope with a strong, durable mounting system. Being as yours is a pretty rifle, you'll want something to compliment the looks. SWFA sells Talley and Warne mounts that would look good on that rifle. There are also double dovetail mounts from Leupold and Burris. Other than the split vertical type and Burris Signature series you will want the rings lapped to prevent scope damage.

For your hunting situations, a rangefinding scope or even a rangefinder is not necessary. You will most likely find that shots on standing animals in calm conditions beyond the point blank range of your rifle are rare. With a scope that has accurate turrets most of the common deer rifles can be used with a zero dead on at 100 yards. This is nice in the woods so you can shoot through gaps in limbs, etc. If you sit on that field you just crank up 2" and hold dead on, usually out to around 250 yards. Which is about as far as you're likely to get a good shot. I find such shots on deer do not require lots of magnification.

Most of your shots are likely to come closer and on animals that don't stand around waiting. Such shots are easier with a wider field of view. If you figure a deer right under your stand could be viewed end to end with about 4' field of view, that translates to about 40' at 100 yards.

This is a long winded way of saying something like the post just above suggest is right on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic