OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax DCF SP Glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax DCF SP Glass
    Posted: July/14/2004 at 08:34
Does anyone know what type of glass is used in the Pentax DCF SP line?
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 15:34
i believe it is "ED" glass. they also use aspherical lenses. i just got a pair. SHARP!!!! EXCELLENT LIGHT TRANSMISSION!!!!
gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2004 at 08:35

You've probably researched their website already just like I have and it doesn't really say anywhere.  I'd be cautious before jumping to the conclusion that it's ED glass, though.

In side by side comparison with other binoculars in the field, the Pentax are surely brighter than all except the Zeiss Victory II's, Minox BD BR's (with large objectives), Swaros, and Leica's (fill in the blank)vids (I haven't ever gotten a chance to use either Nikon Venturers or Superior EII's...)--whatever "Penta-Brite" technology is, it seems to work on making the focal image lighter.  It does appear to my eye that it pushes colors toward the yellow spectrum, though...

In addition, its been my experience that the fine detail and chromatic abberation on the SP's is good but not great.  The few glasses that I've gotten the opportunity to use that were labeled "ED" glass (Swift Audubon 820ED porros, for instance) seemed to outperform the SP's in those areas.

Which begs another point--Pentax goes to such great lengths to point out all of the performance aspects of their optics in their advertising literature that it's difficult to believe they'd miss the opportunity to trumpet their use of ED glass.

Just my two cents...

Take the long way home.

Edited by gremlin
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2004 at 12:34

At least one major supplier heavily advertises them as ED glass.  They are very good.

ranburr

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 16:14
I called Pentax, they use on their SP and WP a "high quality optical glass".  ED glass would be a step better than their glass.  Pentax "makes up for" or uses 7 multicoatings 9instead of the usual 3 or 4 coats) to aid image quality.  I have noticed a fair amount of color fringing with my WP's.  They are still pretty good for the money.
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2004 at 14:26
Just an update on this (my final one),  Pentax Emailed me and stated that the DCF-WP & SP use : premium quality crown lanthanum extra low dispersion glass.  Well, I'll be, they do use ED glass after all.  The Pentax tech on the phone needs to get up to speed. 
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2004 at 20:02
I was under the assumption that only the SP had the high end "ED" glass.  If this is true what is the difference between the WP and the SP.  The SPs sure cost alot more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic