OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

XDS 9mm help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XDS 9mm help
    Posted: February/06/2015 at 12:28
Picked up an XDS 9mm 3.3" and I'm looking for what carry ammo would be best. I have heard they don't like critical defense or critical duty ammo. This is my only 9mm so I am not familiar with what ammo is best. I was told Corbon 115gr dxp or federal 124gr hst would be best. Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Preston - February/06/2015 at 12:33
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 12:38
Never had any problems with gold dot in the one I had for a little while.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 12:52
I carry some Winchester Rangers in mine. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 15:09
I hear they are picky due to the angle of the feed ramp and they don't like the polymer tip hornady ammo?
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 17:54
Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll look into those.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 18:14

Haven't tried the Win Rangers but, the Gold Dot has always done well no matter what I was feeding it to.

Let us know what you find out with yours.........

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 20:03
Sounds good. I plan to try out the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr since I already have a box I better not let it go to waste. I would like to pick up something in 115 or 124gr that isn't a +P if possible to try out. I like gold dots in my .45 might give those a go. Have always been a fan of winchester silvertip and federal hydra shok may try both of those as well.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 20:46
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I carry some Winchester Rangers in mine. 

+1 I carry 147 gr Winchester Black Talons in mine. I think they are one and the same.
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 23:10
Does anyone think it makes a difference going to a +P with that short of a barrel? Also I'm wondering if a heavier bullet like the 147gr would be better due to how short the barrel is or if the lighter faster 115/124gr stuff would be the better route. Opinions?
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2015 at 03:48
Gun Tests magazine ran a test on short-barrel 9mm pistols in their February 2015 issue.  They gave your pistol an A rating.  They did experience a few problems with lockback after the last round and the magazine release, but these cleared up during the test.

They did a short-barrel 9mm ammo test in their September 2013 issue.  They liked the Black Hills, Winchester and Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p's, with the Gold Dots getting the highest ranking.  They used a Sig-Sauer P290 for this test with a 2.9 inch barrel. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2015 at 11:41
Originally posted by Preston Preston wrote:

I have heard they don't like critical defense or critical duty ammo.

Who is "they" and what do they not like about it? I really like Critical Duty 135 +P. Good stuff!

I also like Speer Gold Dot 124 and Federal HST 124.

All of the above consistently perform well in all the testing I've seen, they shoot well in my guns, and the recovered bullets I've managed to find from my own testing through plywood have all expanded reliably and stayed together relatively well.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2015 at 21:09
By "they" I mean I heard the xds 9 mm doesn't like the critical duty 135gr. I hear it is one of the best round made for a 9mm but had several people tell me the xds doesn't feed 100% reliable with the Hornady ammo like it does with other ammo. I did have a local sheriff tell me all he runs is the hornady critical duty 135gr in his duty gun which is a sig p226 and he swears by it.

Edited by Preston - February/07/2015 at 21:14
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2015 at 21:12
Sounds like the Gold dot and the Federal HST rounds are very good choices. I will probably test both out with the xds and see if I prefer one over the other.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2015 at 22:06
Let us know how they run in your XDS, Preston. You can't go wrong with either.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2015 at 19:48
Thanks rifledude. I will report back with findings as soon as I test them out. I appreciate everyones help and suggestions. Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic