OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new gun needs some glass.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new gun needs some glass.
    Posted: February/03/2015 at 19:22
I just purchased a new rifle for trapping this year(any excuse to buy a new gun). Its a Savage 93r17 BVSS in 17HMR. This is my first rim fire outside of .22LR. I was thinking of putting a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 in Silver on it. Im curious to suggestions on potential optics on this rifle. I personally feel that a 2-7x scope would be ideal but that is not offered from what ive found from Leupold in Silver. I may have overlooked one. I'm open to suggestions. I plan on having this as a "truck gun" so maintaining zero after bouncing around for a few hundred miles would be preferred. I'm not dead-set on having a silver scope on a stainless rifle although it is more aesthetically pleasing but we all know looks don't kill animals. Thanks in advance.

-Brad
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2015 at 21:05

I am not sure what you are using this rifle for.  The .17 is not a long range

rifle, so any 3-9x40 would be a good choice.  I have a Savage .17 with a

Vari-XII 3-9x40, and it is good match.  I have a new VX-1 that I just

purchased, and the new model is better and brighter.  It depends on your

budget, and so your VX-2 would even be another step up.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2015 at 21:06
http://swfa.com/Weaver-25-7x28-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P600.aspx
I would just put the Weaver 2.5-7 on it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2015 at 21:37
NDHunter Dont plan on using in long range 100yds tops on an animal. Anything longer I have a different gun for. I just want it for checking my traps if I need to dispatch an angry animal or the ever resilient fox. A 22 does the job but its still hard to find ammo and most places I can get 17hmr. I didnt really set a budget but im sure it will be $200-300. The gun does not have iron sights so id like to stay on the lower power end. I put a 2-7 vortex that I had laying around on it to see how it looks and I think thats what it will end up with. I was curious what others on here would run for 100yds or less with a moderate budget. I dont want to over glass the gun if that makes sense.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2015 at 06:38
My .17 HMR wears the 2-7x Weaver Wes recommended. 

But of late, the tree rats are winning the battle of the bird feeders and I'm contemplating moving that scope to my .22 LR Marlin 60 "Squirrel Interdiction Rifle"....."SIR". 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2015 at 06:51
Well I was going to suggest the 2-7 Vortex, but I guess I don't need to nowSmile
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 12:56

Personally I prefer an AO on a rimfire for ultimate short range accuracy. Take a look at a Leupold EFR 3X9X40......Leupold VX2 4-12 AO..........Weaver V16.......

Just read the budget. Look at rimfire scopes that will have parallax set at 50-60 yards. It won't matter if you are just plinking or hunting but if you want to shoot bug holes at short range an adjustable parallax is helpful.

Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2015 at 18:42
R H Clark, I was at a local sporting goods store today looking at potential scopes. I do see where it would be advantageous to have an AO scope or adjustable parallax scope, personally i dont like AO scopes but am ok with Side focus. After looking at several scopes varying in price I was leaning towards this scope.
Nikon 2-7x32 ProStaff RiflescopeNikon 2-7x32 ProStaff Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6719
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Fully Multicoated Optical System
  • Precise, 1/4-MOA Hand-turn Adjustments
  • Generous, Consistent Eye Relief
  • Zero-Reset Turrets
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
$149.95
After comparing side by side with different leupolds, weaver and vortex scopes, I personally just found this scope better to me. The store did not have a Zeiss terra 2-7 to compare or my choice may be different but from what i experienced at the store today and the price point i think this is what will go on the gun. 
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2015 at 15:04

Brad that 2-7 Nikon is a good scope for what it is, a hunting scope. If hunting is what you want then even one without parallax adjustment will be fine. A Parallax issue shouldn't cause you to miss a squirrels head if you have good repeatable eye-head-cheek weld position. It might cause to miss the eye.

I also don't like the 1/4 MOA adjustments because I am more target oriented with my rimfire guns but in that case I would want more magnification anyway. Just decide if you want a target scope or hunting scope or one that will serve dual purposes. I like the Weaver V16 and Leupold VX2 4-12 for a dual purpose scope. 4X is low enough to hunt and 12-16X is high enough to shoot bug holes.

If looking at just a hunting scope the Nikon will work but I would also compare it to the Weaver 3X9 or 2-7 rimfire scopes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic