OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need sage council...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 13:17
I have never heard about the Reaper cartridges, but I just looked them up and they look very interesting.

All right, so the front runners for now are 6mm BR and 375 Reaper.   Decisions, decisions.

Since I am stubborn enough to want to stick with a short barrel, I think a moderate case capacity is the way to go.

There are Savage barrels available for both calibers in any length I want, so that should be easy.

6BR or 6BRX is a little simpler from a component standpoint, but both should work fine.

Good suggestions!

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 13:29
I have a 6BR. Great cartridge, with benchrest level precision potential and long case life!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 13:33
Comparing 6BR and 243, the 243 has a higher velocity and a shorter barrel life (all things being equal.)  If velocity is your main concern (and with a short barrel, it should be among the top few), the 243 - and especially the 243AI - have an advantage.  

Let us know what you choose.

I have done a fair bit of load workup for 243AI and can share my experiences and recipes.  My gun is as accurate with virgin Lapua brass (for fire forming) as it is with recipes for the AI case - just a little slower.

The Reaper looks awesome to me, might need a new suppressor!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 13:49
I do not know if velocity is my primary concern.  
In terms of accuracy with a good barrel, I do not think there is any difference between 243AI and 6mmBR.
I will have longer barrel life with the BR and it will be a little less loud with a short barrel.

As far the Reaper goes, I sent an e-mail to the company that makes it regarding the headspace gauges.  Everything else seems pretty straightforward with that cartridge.

I am sure it is not going to be as accurate as the 6mm BR, but it certainly has the "cool" factor going for it.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 16:52
After some consideration, I converged on the following:  if the 375 Reaper people make it easy for me to get one (i.e. answer my e-mail and do not BS), I will go that route.

If not, then 6mm BR it is.  

I will just need to decide which barrel to get.  I am leaning toward Criterion for now.

ILya
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 17:27
.243 or .243 AI would be good choices, splitting the difference between .22 and .308 calibers.  The Grendel is interesting and I considered re-barreling a CZ carbine but my 6.5 Grendel/.264 LBS is so accurate I decided not to do a bolt gun.  Since you indicate you would consider a bolt head change look also at the ballistics for .204 Ruger with 40 grain bullets.  Quite a few high volume varmint hunters have moved to this cartridge and bullet weight from .22-250.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 17:46
I've considered 204Ruger, but that is more interesting as a semi-auto cartridge.  If I were to go with that, I would just get another AR upper.

As the Grendel goes, me Grendel AR is sufficiently accurate to not make me miss a bolt gun.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 08:33
have you looked at the 6 or 22 creedmoor?
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 18:44
I looked at the Creedmoor cartridges, but I am not sure what they would get me considering that I want to use a 16 inch barrel.

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 19:10
Maybe go different and do a 25 WSSM or similar.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 20:28
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Maybe go different and do a 25 WSSM or similar.

I do not think it will feed out of a 308 AICS mag.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 21:01
300 H&H… with a 3lb hammer and a cutting torch you can make a piece of metall do anything you want it to… 
The 6mm sounds interesting...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 23:44
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

300 H&H… with a 3lb hammer and a cutting torch you can make a piece of metall do anything you want it to… 
The 6mm sounds interesting...

With a 3lb hammer and a cutting torch, I do not need to butcher the Savage.  I can find someone who owns a 300H&H and politely ask him to turn it over.  I suspect with a 3lb hammer in one hand and a cutting torch in the other hand, it will work like a charm.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 23:52
Good, VERY good...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2015 at 00:09
i used to have a 358 winchester that should make the most silenced energy with factory loads available.i am afraid i do not  stray far from common factory rounds.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2015 at 12:59
I I'd some reading on the Reaper cartridges and while I like the concept, the guy behind it seems to have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.   Lack of load data is also a turn off.

Could be fun though.

ILya
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2015 at 22:47

After reading over your goals again you should build a wildcat .375. You could take a 220-Swift case and cut it like the 300-blackout. Have a set of dies made along with chamber reamer and go, no go gauges. It would be an impressive hard hitting medium range round to be sure.

The 300 AAC Blackout plastic tipped, left, compared to 300 AAC BLACKOUT 125 match, 300 AAC BLACKOUT 220 subsonic

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2015 at 00:06
Not a bad idea on the .375 caliber or another JDJ Whisper calibers might be interesting.  Most have been around long enough with a pretty loyal following that load data should be readily available along with dies and reamers. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2015 at 07:33
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

After reading over your goals again you should build a wildcat .375. You could take a 220-Swift case and cut it like the 300-blackout. Have a set of dies made along with chamber reamer and go, no go gauges. It would be an impressive hard hitting medium range round to be sure.

...and, in so doing, he'd essentially have a clone of the .375 Reaper he's already considering.

Another option is the .338 Federal. It fills a similar niche as the Reaper, yet it's not a wildcat, it's a better match for your magazine length and a bolt action in general, and it would still work ok with your short barrel. Since it too is based off the .308 parent case, you can easily make brass for it with expander dies in a pinch if .338 Fed brass is in short supply.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2015 at 18:22
no one liked 358.OH WELL Whacko it thumps you purty good in the ol savage.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic