OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Your Advice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Your Advice!
    Posted: January/24/2015 at 18:09
So I just sold my really nice rifle today and I have about 3000 dollars burning a hole in my pocket. I have a Vortex PST 6-24x50, SFP, just sitting around, how much could I sell it for? How much do you think Sample list would give me?
 I'm looking into upgrading optics. What would be your choice for a extremely accurate rifle scope combo for about 3500 dollars? Options:

4-20x56 Nightforce SHV 
 5-25x50 Zeiss HD5 
 Leupold VX3 or Mark 4?
 Trijicon 5-20x50 accupoint

Weatherby Mark V
 Sendero
 Sako Finlight or A5
 Browning X bolt Long range hunter
 Savage LR Hunter
 CZ 550
 FN SPR

I want to keep my old cartridge which is a 7mm Rem Mag. I plan to hunt with it, my family enjoys shooting at 1000-1200+ yards when we get together on camping trips and reunions. I would like a .5 inch gun with my reloads.

Edited by Thefieldster1 - January/24/2015 at 18:15
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2015 at 22:22
Anytime someone posts that one of their rifle choices could be a SAKO, that's the 1st one I recommend. I don't have experience with any of the specific scope choices you list, but would be inclined to say the Ziess will be the best.
 All the hunting we do here in SW Alabama is inside 200 yds, and in a 30 minutes before to 30 minutes after sunset time circle. So we look for scopes with good clarity and excellent light transmission capabilities.
I most of your shooting will be in good daylight, then most of the selections you have listed should be fine, but if you hunt in dim light, be ware that high magnification scope for long range shooting typically don't have the best light transmission capabilities in lower light settings.
Did I say I like SAKO ???Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 04:14

I am some what of a CZ fan. I own 4 of them, and they tend to be the best shooting rifles in my safe. For the money, they are hard to beat.  The one thing I don't like about the CZ rifles is the dovetail mounting system they come with for optics.

I envy your dilemma.

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 05:58
Originally posted by Skytrash Skytrash wrote:

The one thing I don't like about the CZ rifles is the dovetail mounting system they come with for optics.

I envy your dilemma.

Nor the backwards safety.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 08:46
Take a hard look at the new rifle offerings from LAW (Legandry Arms Works). Both the Closer and the Professional look exceptional... especially at their price points. Scopewise, my favs are most any Swaro and the Leupy V6.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 09:30
Montana Rifle Co. makes some VERY nice rifles for decent $$ too. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 12:07
The Trijicon 5-20 is a decent scope for some applications, long range isn't one.  They are very light on elevation adjustment, around 45 MOA total elevation, if I recall correctly.  A canted base will get back some of that, but you can run into other problems.

The reticle, at least the mil dot version, is thick. Very thick.  That can be an advantage for some and a disadvantage for others.

On the rifles, Sako makes a great gun.  Another option is to buy a Tikka T3 and strip the bottom metal and stock, but replacing those can get you close to the price of a decent semi-custom.

If you go with the Zeiss, you have about $2k for the rifle.  With that, I would seriously consider a Tikka in a Manners stock with their chassis system (bottom metal integral.)  

I have shot rifles from most of those mentioned here (all yours except the FN and CZ) and would take a Tikka (in custom stock, their stocks are among the worst) over most options.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 19:35
Tikka they (Sako) make a Picatinny rail and I would put the 34mm tube Nightforce ATACR 5-25 on it with the La Rue qd set up with three levers for 50Cal. The stock doesnt bother me but if you got to where you want a different stock. My first pick would be McMillan. Agreed the Accupoint 5-20 is not a long range optic Think its 50 total moa internal adjustment not enough. The other route is to go with a Super Sniper 5-20x50 and put more into the rifle like a Kimber Montana, or the base model hunting rifle from GA Precision. That way you could use the Samplelist trade in form to trade your current scope toward the SS or a USOptics.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/25/2015 at 19:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 21:40
I have a very accurate Sako, but it is kinda perty and I baby it, not that it still doesn't take a whoopin' when I hunt where I hunt. Something about beautiful rifles- they add a whole different dimension of awareness to a hunt, as one tries to keep them beautiful. Other than that, I really like Sako actions and attention to detail and wouldn't hesitate to call them a fine rifle by any standard.
There is also a thread here talking about Sako synthetic stock failures, so that is something to think about.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2015 at 00:50
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

There is also a thread here talking about Sako synthetic stock failures, so that is something to think about.

I thought that was limited to the A7s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic