OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me pick a SS for my SPR.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanO20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me pick a SS for my SPR.
    Posted: January/22/2015 at 15:08
I just finished my 18" AR build in an 'SPR' style. I put in a good trigger, and a good 1/2 MOA gauanteed barrel. I've made up my mind I'm going with a SWFA SS for the glass. But now I'm I need of some help from you all. I'll be doing mostly longer range (250-700 yards) shooting. I've considered 3 models; 3-9x42, 10x42 HD, and 3-15x42. Of these three (and maybe the 10x42M?) which would you suggest?

Thanks!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2015 at 15:15
One of the variables, makes for a much more versatile rifle
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RyanO20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanO20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2015 at 18:33
Of the two variables, which would you suggest?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2015 at 20:49
If you are not planning to go over 700 yds the 3-15X42 would be my pick. Less weight and extra lower end would be more valuable to me. I have the SS 5-20 on my RR Varmint and have bought the 3-15 to replace it. Much of the time in the heat around here the mirage would not allow the use of the upper end. The glass on the 5-20 is of a lot higher quality. It just depends on your needs.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 07:30
The 3-9x42 doesn't have a parallax adjustment, so if fast shooting is a little more important than precise shot placement, then the 3-9 may be the way to go.

If you have the time to adjust the parallax for your long range shots, then the 3-15x42 would be my choice.

I have both and like both.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RyanO20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanO20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 08:19
I find myself drawn to the HD glass. I've shot the classic SS 10x42, and it was a fine scope. I've also shot Luppys and Swarovski glass, and I can see (no pun intended) the value of high quality glass. I love the idea of the 5-20, but like imaginaryfrnd and others said, it's a bit much for a 5.56 gun under 700 yards. If they made a 3-15 HD, I'd be all in. Or a 3-9 with parallax, because precison is my objective. It's sounding like the 3-15 unless something awesome was/will be released at SHOT.

How is the upper end (10-15x) range on the 3-15? I've used some scopes that are essentially useless at the upper end of their range. Not that I suspect poor quality from the SS, just curious.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 08:37
I have noticed that the 3-15 gets a little darker on the upper end, but it's barely noticeable and not anything that would be a problem except in failing light.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RyanO20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanO20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 08:44
Thanks, BeltFed. I think I've made a decision. I'm going to wait until after SHOT (you never know what new goodness may be unveiled) and then get my hands on one of these. I'll give my impressions when I can.

Anyone try the zero stop kit the guys on the hide are making for the 3-15?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 10:02
I would get the 3-9x for the better glass quality.  I would not worry that much about the parallax.  I dare bet most of your shooting will be within 400 yards and for those longer shots, just make sure you line up behind the scope right and you will have no issues. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 11:23
The 3-9 will save you a little weight. The glass is better, but the 3-15 glass has never been a detraction for shooting at those ranges. Either one will work well. The parallax adjustment on the 3-15 will allow you to focus down to 20 feet, which is nice for dry-fire practice indoors or mounting the scope.
Reaction time is a factor...
RyanO20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanO20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 12:59
If the 3-9 had a parallax adj. it would be no question about picking it. I guess ultimate, do I go for better glass, or the parallax?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 13:10
I have a LOVE the SS 3-9x. It will serve you well. As Ufriend stated, the 3-9x was developed to be a SPR scope. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 13:18
I don't believe a 3-9 needs parallax adjustment. ILya or Rifledude may be able to explain why.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 13:33
1/2 MOA guarantee on an AR barrel?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RyanO20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanO20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 14:07
Well I'm now a little ticked off, because when I bought this Mega claimed a 1/2 MOA guarantee, but it looks like it has been upped to 1 MOA. I still have email correspondence with a tech guaranteeing 1/2 MOA that I'll pull out if it doesn't perform....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/655940_Mega_Arms_556_Barrel___18_.html
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2015 at 12:10
I love accurate barrels as much as the next guy, but I found that once the distances open up, I am a much bigger source of error than a 1MOA barrel.  YMMV.

On SS scopes, here is something of a background statement: considering what I do I have played with just about every scope out there and at any given time I have a dozen or so scopes just lounging in the safe waiting for their turn.

I have six different SS scopes: 
-6x42 Classic (currently on my airgun)
-10x42 Classic (on my 8mm Mauser)
- two different 3-9x42 variables (both have been on everything, but right are on 308WIn boltguns)
- 3-15x42 (currently used for load development on a super accurate 6.5x55 Tkka)
- 5-20x50 (set up on my Grendel for now)

If I had to choose only one of these to use on every gun mentioned above, it would be the 3-15x42.  For an SPR, this would be just about the perfect scope.

ILya
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2015 at 23:28
I have ran the 10x42M out to a bit past 1000 and never felt under equipped. I feel those are THE biggest bang for the buck optics going today. Especially now that they can be had with mil based turrets.

That being said. I am planning on 2 5-20x50mm illumes this year. Whew! Just plain sexy!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic