OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox ZA 5 HD TAC Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox ZA 5 HD TAC Scopes
    Posted: January/15/2015 at 11:16
Hello,

I am looking for feedback on the Minox ZA5 HD and ZA5 TAC scopes.  I am looking for quality varmint rifle scope w/o breaking the bank.  I've found no reviews of these anywhere.  Although, I've seen reviews of the ZA5 line that preceded the HD version, reviews of that line did not inspire much confidence. Particularly, I'm looking at the 30mm scopes in the higher magnifications.  While I see that they come with a lifetime warranty, I tend to find the warranties that you never have to use to be the best...  The rifle will be used primarily to hunt woodchucks and occasionally p-dogs.  
kingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2015 at 18:43
I'm surprised by the scarcity of quality reviews on these.  Either way, I went ahead and bought a Minox ZA 5 HD 5-25x56 SF TAC.  A super discounted price on a "demo" closed the deal.  I've got a new Cooper 54 in 22-250 coming and couldn't decide between the numerous choices out there.  I was looking in the $1500 +/- $500ish range, but couldn't pull the trigger given all the competition in that price range.  While I was really attracted to the Leica ER and ERi 3-15x models, without handling the scopes, an option not available to me in my area, I was deadlocked. The Minox might not be what ends up on this rifle for the long haul but, I'm going to give it a shot, no pun intended...  

Edited by kingston - January/17/2015 at 19:14
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2015 at 09:56
Let us know how what you think of it.
kingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2015 at 20:20
It looks like the one that I was sent has a problem. The scope's magnification is way off. When comparing the image it delivers at 10x to several other scopes, it is significantly smaller. Even when I crank up the Minox to 15x the image is still smaller than two different Leupold Mark 4(s) (a M1A Ultra 10x and a 3.5-10 M1 set at 10x), a Kahles CL 3-9x42 set at 9x, and a Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 set at 8x. I posted pics on another forum. Feel free to google them. I was perplexed. The scope also had a ring of red light bleeding out around the inside of the scope tube when the illuminated reticle was turned on. It did this on every setting. Aside from this it delivered a nice sharp image and had a super generous eyebox at the lower settings. Although, this doesn't mean much given the magnification issue. I spoke with Minox USA, and they were very helpful. They communicated that these two issues were not typical. It looks like they are sending me another scope and a shipping label.   
kingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2015 at 20:57
This is how I solved my problem for now...

kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2015 at 17:32
Wondering about this scope as well. I really want to know what the difference is between last years ZA-5 and the new ZA-5 HD? The glass on both is Schott and they both have the same coatings. Soooo.......??
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2015 at 17:37

My apologies....Hello all

Right now I'm using a Swaro Z5, but it only has about 58 total moa. That gets me to about 600yrds. I'm wanting to shoot near the 1000yrd area, so I need more moa and want to keep the phenomenal German glass that the Swaro has. I was also looking at the Sightron Siii. My understanding is they source they're glass from the same place NF does, but I think I'd prefer German glass over Japan 

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2015 at 20:27
You need to take a look at the SS 5-20 HD. It compares favorably to my Kahles 3-10 CL when set side by side. It also has almost double the adjustment as the Swarovoski to help you reach out and touch at long range.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 00:29
I've never gotten to look through a SS since they don't sell them in stores. The Kahles in the other hand is a nice piece. I still want to know if Minox did anything different to the new line of ZA-5's or just added the "HD" onto it and raised the price?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 02:41
Originally posted by kickin45 kickin45 wrote:

My apologies....Hello all

Right now I'm using a Swaro Z5, but it only has about 58 total moa. That gets me to about 600yrds. I'm wanting to shoot near the 1000yrd area, so I need more moa and want to keep the phenomenal German glass that the Swaro has. I was also looking at the Sightron Siii. My understanding is they source they're glass from the same place NF does, but I think I'd prefer German glass over Japan 

Howdy kickin45 and welcome to the forum.
Is a 20 MOA base an option for your rifle? That's one way to keep looking through your great z5 glass.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 09:55
A base really isn't an option for me. I'm running an MDT Tac-21 chassis, so the scope already sits 2.6 inches above my bore.
kingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 13:52
Kickin,
I posted my follow up on another forum where I included photographs etc. Either way the second (replacement) scope had the same issues as the first. My application was a relatively lightweight 22–250. I opted to go with the Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 BT 4W. It cost three times as much, but is a much better fit for my application. I was hoping the Minox was going to be sleeping superstar and once they work out a couple of the details, it may still be. Ultimately, it was not going to live on the Cooper, but would have wound up on an AR platform after shuffling a few optics around. The build quality was good, minus the flaws that were noted. I kind of felt like they were trying to do too much with the scope, packing in too many features, appealing to a broad market-- kind of trying to make everyone happy. I would've been satisfied had they focused on the basics and left the illumination component out. What I mean by this is, had they focused on getting the mechanics working spot on, in a really reliable, repeatable, robust way, combining that with really solid optics and proven such a platform/design, all in an optic that could be efficiently manufactured with consistent quality, they would have something. I'm not in a position to remark on how the mechanics were going to hold up over the long-haul or even in the short term as the two flaws I documented prevented me from keeping either scope and putting it through the paces. The magnification issue is still a complete mystery to me. I requested Minox let me know what they found after evaluating the scopes, but have not heard back from them yet. The illumination issue is either a poor design or sloppy execution or both. This was my second go with Minox in 18 months. The first was with the ZEi and involved the two-piece turret caps separating the first time I touched them. I had limited time, as I was getting a rifle put together for a rapidly approaching hunt. Not having sufficient time or motivation to get into involved with the ZEi any further, I opted to go another direction. It was regretting not having had an opportunity to really use the ZEi that motivated me to look at the ZA5 HD TAC. The ZEi had some pretty nice glass and the illumination was very useable in extremely dim conditions.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 14:59
@ kingston-
Thanks for the write- up on the Minox(s). I've been curious about the new HD models. also and hadn't found one locally. Your experience mirrors what I've been reading around the web and let's me think that Minox isn't quite a player in the quality optics game, yet. As far as the bleeding illumination, that appears to be quite common on many brands. I've noticed that many illumination schemes are also visible through the objective lens, being therefore visible down range.

@kickin45-
I think (don't quote me) that the Tac-21 chassis has a built in 20 moa rail. Have you tried shooting that far and ran out of elevation, or just push a pencil up to this point?

You didn't state your caliber/load...
Here's a purely speculative example, assuming a 20moa rail... a .308 running 168SMK@2750fps and sight height 2.6" zeroed 50/200 yds has  ~36 moa drop @1000 yds. That should be within the realm of possible for your Swaro on a 20 moa rail, as I think you'd only need ~6moa (+2.6"+1.4" hi@ 100yds) to get to that zero, giving you ~43moa to play with (58/2+20-6=43)

You young guys and your good eyes, i swear... some of us can't hardly see anything at 1000 yards with a whole lot of help.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 09:28
Awesome right up, thanks for the info. I run the exact same Swaro scope.

The Tac-21 chassis is a bit more than 20moa. I think it may be around 40? Don't quote me on that. I actually am shooting .308 168 and 175 grn out of it. I have the ballistic turrets that are set up in 100yrd increments. It tops out 17 clicks above the 500yrd setting. I Know I have quite a few wasted moa below my zero. Was thinking of using the old aluminum can shim trick to get another 5 moa out of it. I'd love to stick with the Swaro, but pulling another 7 or 8 moa out of it may not be in the cards.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 14:28
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I'd based my estimation on 'come up' to zero based on one of my rifles with a bit more height above bore than yours, which took 2 mils up to zero. I never dreamed yours would use so much. Even if you went with the beer can method, that would probably only get you to 700 or so.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 23:57
Ya, I'm thinkin a Sightron SIII 8-32 is in my future
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2015 at 16:38
the day has come. I'm buying either the Sightron S3 or a Burris XTRii. Opinions on the two scopes competing with each other?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic