OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Vintage Golden 5 Star ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gapi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Vintage Golden 5 Star ?
    Posted: January/15/2015 at 09:53
I have a Redfield 2-7x33 Golden Five Star from the 1990's when they were made in Colorado.

Its done countless hours on a .22 and .22WMR.

Can it handle a springer? 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2015 at 07:39
Not 100% sure but ... my gut says probably not for very long.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2015 at 15:31
Check the Sightron line. They have some nice A.O. scopes that can handle the springers.
               Anomymous
gapi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gapi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2015 at 15:49
Quote Check the Sightron line

Thanks, I tried but nothing indicates an air rifle version. Terrible site to navigate. You go in a couple screens, try to back up one and wind up starting all over again. Ugly. But thank You all the same.

[quote]Not 100% sure but ... my gut says probably not for very long.[quote]

Heh! My gut will not let me go for it. A nice little scope. I called Leupold and when they took over they just got the brand name, not the building, none of the staff, nada, so there is no one from those days to ask.

I give up. I'm a Leupold man, every time I stray to save a dollar I regret it, I'm spoiled, ruined, but eye happy.       
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2015 at 16:50
I talked to the Sightron folks. Their scopes are rated to handle springers!
               Anomymous
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2015 at 17:43
All Leupolds will handle them too.
Doug
gapi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gapi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 21:49
I guess I'll close on the matter here with a show and tell saying she will stay where she is at.

It's on an old friend that has served severe duty for more than 10 years in the woods truck, ATV scabbard and handle bar racks, back floor boards, you name it, if I was not carrying a deer rifle or bird gun she was at least in the vehicle near by.

The link below will show you a cross between an AMT Small Game Hunter II and a Ruger 10/22. The AMT receiver started failing soon after purchase and gave us a fit so I swapped in a lighter and faster cycling Ruger 10/22 receiver. I am a machinist so believe me the fit is exact. 

She is not dolled up and shows her miles but will drive tacks and light matches. Heavier than a 10/22 but lighter than her original form she shoots amazingly consistent or I would not lug it.

You will see air under the rear mount. Those are shims from Brownells to get the elevation near center in a bore sight before making adjustments.
With out them it took all of the elevation up and still not reach center. I re-centered the reticle and placed shims till she was close before making final adjustments. I fitted longer screws to compensate for the amount of shim.

The AMT receiver had machined dovetails on and the Ruger is as you can see. Somewhere in there the dimensions made for the elevation struggle. I didn't dwell on as to the root cause, I just fixed it. The scope rail has no torque on it. I form fitted it to lay there like that before fastening it. It has never came loose.
The rear but pad removes to expose a nice storage space. The bbl is fully floated.

My Old Friend

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2015 at 16:38
Excellent Very nifty I'd say.Congrats.
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic