OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light rifle scope recommendations (NEWBIE)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RILEYONTHEBAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light rifle scope recommendations (NEWBIE)
    Posted: January/12/2015 at 09:53
Let me first preface this post. I am a NEWBIE, first time poster and the info I am wanting, may already be available? My apologies if that's the case as I am not confident with searching within the forums.
Question?
I have a $600 budget for a rifle scope. I hunt in a lowlighted food plot off a swamp in lower Alabama. The food plot is 145 yds long by 40 yds wide. It is surrounded by hills on 2 sides and lined with 100+ foot tall pine trees. The light goes quick. I am looking at 3-9x50 and 3.5-10x50. Reason that magnification is I need longer shots on some of the secondary plots I hunt at 200-300 yds. The five scopes I have it narrowed down to in no specific order are:
Leupold VX-3
Zeiss Terra 3X
Zeiss MC Conquest
MeOpta MeoPro
Vortex Viper
Again, my primary need is lowlight capabilities. I am wanting to hear what people recommend and specifically why? Thanks in advance for your input and I look fowrward to your replies!
THANK YOU!
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 10:23

If you can stretch your budget a "little" this Meopta Meostar off the sample list would be perfect.  It's built specifically for what you want -- great low light capabilities, great glass, great reticle, and the right mag range.  

http://www.samplelist.com/Meopta-3-12x56-Meostar-R1-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P78875.aspx

RILEYONTHEBAY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RILEYONTHEBAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 10:45
Thanks for the info. I have found subject scope for $599. Thanks for your input.

Edited by cheaptrick - January/12/2015 at 10:58
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 10:59
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Can't link other optics vendors sites here, per our Rules Of Engagement, my Friend. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 11:26

Originally posted by RILEYONTHEBAY RILEYONTHEBAY wrote:

Let me first preface this post. I am a NEWBIE, first time poster and the info I am wanting, may already be available? My apologies if that's the case as I am not confident with searching within the forums.
Question?
I have a $600 budget for a rifle scope. I hunt in a lowlighted food plot off a swamp in lower Alabama. The food plot is 145 yds long by 40 yds wide. It is surrounded by hills on 2 sides and lined with 100+ foot tall pine trees. The light goes quick. I am looking at 3-9x50 and 3.5-10x50. Reason that magnification is I need longer shots on some of the secondary plots I hunt at 200-300 yds. The five scopes I have it narrowed down to in no specific order are:
Leupold VX-3
Zeiss Terra 3X
Zeiss MC Conquest
MeOpta MeoPro
Vortex Viper
Again, my primary need is lowlight capabilities. I am wanting to hear what people recommend and specifically why? Thanks in advance for your input and I look fowrward to your replies!
THANK YOU!

These questions are asked often and as you get familiar with this forum you will be able to locate tons of comments addressing them.

But don't hesitate to ask because that is the purpose of the forum. To help narrow the field, share hands on experience and save some money (when possible).

I have Leupold VX-3 and compared to most low budget scopes it is an improvement in low light. That said it is not one I would choose with your budget.

Ziess is my go to for most hunting but not what you listed or in your budget. I have a real dislike for the Conquest series and have no experience with the Terra. Majority of folk I know who have tried the Conquest have been disappointed. There are better options in your budget.  

Meopta has a good following in my area and for the money is a good choice for your wants.

Vortex Viper has some of the most precise tracking I have seen but I have not had the opportunity to hunt with it yet to speak concerning glass/ coatings quality and low light performance. If their glass/coating are the same quality as it turret components it may be a good option as well.

This is a good one to consider. I think it is the same one mentioned before. Make them a offer in your budget or offer something in trade. you may swing a deal. These are used or demo scopes. Be sure to check for sales and deals on new ones also. (SWFA)

http://www.samplelist.com/Meopta-3-12x56-Meostar-R1-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P78875.aspx

Because your budget is only a half or a third of what you need to get into a used Ziess Victory or Diavari you are limited to what you can do with a quality Ziess.

My only other thought that my be surprising is to try a Nikon Prostaff. They have proven to be remarkable in low light conditions and their turret design is also very good. This is well in your budget and based on my experience and customer replies as good as many high end scopes for low light work.

http://www.samplelist.com/Nikon-35-14x50-ProStaff-5-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-A-P73119.aspx

Good luck in you search and Welcome to the OT!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RILEYONTHEBAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 14:11
FYI - the gun the scope will be mounted on is:
Remington model 700
Mountain SS BC 7M-08
If anyone wanted to know?
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 14:50
The SS Mountain is a darn nice out of the box rifle. What ammo do you plan to use, or are you gonna reload?
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 15:33
How close a shot might you take? Is weight of the scope a concern?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RILEYONTHEBAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 19:35
URBANERURALITE
The closest shot could possible be 10 yds, most probably 100-150yds and possible up to 200-250 on occasion.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RILEYONTHEBAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 19:37
Sgt. D
I had not really thought about ammo at this point. I am have not started reloading either. I would be purchasing off the shelf. Do you have recommendations on ammo? Thanks in advance, if so.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 22:37

I recently built a 7mmwsm for long range comps' my daughter and I are attending. But, having a terrible time finding brass for reloading. Fortunately I had a few boxes of Federal 150gr Power-Shok hunting rounds left from some old inventory. So I hunted with the rifle this yr so I could use that brass for loading in the competitions. All that to say, They didn't group near what the comp loads will but plenty good for huntin. A decent moa but, the impressive thing was how well they put the deer down. As I recall everyone of em dropped like a rock. I didn't have to track a single one. Just don't take a neck shot on anything you want to mount. I took a young buck that had been shot up by some sneaky stop and drop hunters that paid us a visit toward the end of the season. A young 6 pt I had passed several times wantin him to get grown. Anyway he was limpin and had most of one of his ears shot off. Not sure how bad off he was decided to take a neck shot and try to save the meat. Blew all the hid off the exit side of his neck. He was eat up with buck shot so didn't try to keep the meat. This is the same round in 7mm-08.

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 7mm-08 Remington 150 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point

Average retail $27.99

Friend of mine hunts with FED 7MM08 140GR FUSION in his Ruger 7mag and has proven those to be darn good as well.

Average retail $27.99

So these are some to consider but the main thing will be what is available in your area. What ever you find that works for you I suggest you stock up. 7mm ammo has been kinda tuff to get around here. Hope the shelves are stocked better where you are.

cdb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2015 at 06:59
Of the scopes on your list I own all but the Terra. For my eyes my MeoPro with German #4 reticle is the best in low light.
God prefers kind atheists over hateful Christians!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic