OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kimber 84M Pro Varmint 22-250 Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jester74011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint 22-250 Scope
    Posted: January/08/2015 at 09:25
Hello, I just recently purchased a new Kimber 84M Pro Varmint 22-250 and I'm currently looking for a quality scope for the rifle. I have a Zeiss Conquest Z800 4.5-14 on my Weatherby Accumark 30-378 and love it. I have also been looking at the Nightforce scopes as well as the Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and the magnification would also be very helpful. The intent for this rifle would be Prairie Dog and Coyote hunting.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2015 at 09:35
Welcome to Optics Talk. Can you provide us with a drop dead $$$ budget you've allowed for this rifle?
Also, what mounting system are you considering? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jester74011 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jester74011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2015 at 10:33
I will honestly tell you I don't really have a budget in mind but I also don't want to pay 3500 for a scope when a 2500 scope will do the exact same thing. I will probably use Talley rings and bases like I have also done on my 30-378 Weatherby Accumark. I hope this answers any remaining questions. I am by no means a sniper so 1200 yard shots are no even an option, but with that being said I would like for the setup to have the capability.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2015 at 18:52
Nice rifle!  I would think Nightforce's 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 would work well for you.  I've never owned any Nightforce scopes, but from those I've handled  I'd say their design emphasis places repeatability and reliability and bullet-proof toughness a bit over glass quality, so if that's in line with what you want from this scope, either of those models should work.  (I don't intend this as a knock on NF scopes, as I believe they have very good glass in their scopes, but I also believe there's better glass out there for similar $...)   They (especially the 5.5-22 models) are very popular with competitive shooters, so the scope is more than capable, and the MIL-R or MOAR-T reticles would fit your application well.  For a varmint rifle, the Nightforce may be a bit "overbuilt" (and heavy ) for what you want to do, so you're probably paying for some ruggedness features you're likely to never use.  For a typical varmint rifle, I'd probably trade some of the "heavy, ruggedness" features of the Nightforce for a little better glass elsewhere.

I know very little about Trijicon other than its reputation for low light applications.  After looking at their website, their reticle choices don't seem in keeping with what you described as the primary use for this rifle.  They may make great scopes, but probably not on the top of my list as a varmint scope.

If you like your Zeiss and their z800 style of reticle, why not just jump to their HD5 series and get the 5-25x50 with the Varmint Z reticle and target turrets?  It's pretty much made for what you're describing, and the Varmint Z reticle is sized better for prairie dogs (you'll find the Z600 and Z800 reticles too thick on a prairie dog that's 300 yds out)...  Also available in that reticle style and with lower mag range options are the Meopta MeoStar R1 4-16x44 w/ their McWhorter reticle, and a couple different Swarovski Z5s with their BRX reticle.  If you want more than that in a scope and can jump into the $2k+ range, look hard at the March Tactical (SFP) 2.5-25x50 and pick a reticle to your liking. 

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2015 at 20:34
I have a first version of that rifle in .22-250 from the early 2000s with the walnut stock.  These rifles are capable of consistent sub .50 MOA five shot 100 yard groups with quality commercial or hand loaded ammo developed for the gun.  I'm running a several generation old Leupold Vari-X III 4.5 to 14 with target turrets and any of the above mentioned scopes will outshine its optical quality.  I'd recommend this magnification range or the next levels up such as a 3-18 or 5-20/25 due to the accuracy potential and ballistics of that caliber.  Check out the Leupold VX 6 also, a big step up in optical quality from the VX 3 and Mark 4s.  Based on experience with several Kimber rifles friends and I own, check the torque on the action screws either before shooting or if the accuracy with quality ammo is not what you expected. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jester74011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 12:55
Thank you everyone for your valuable information and great tips. Based on Maverick 2's post I have narrowed my search down to 3 scopes. Swarvoski Z5/Z6, Zeiss HD5, Nightforce ATACR/NXS. Now I just have to decide the magnification 4x14 or 5.5x20/25. Again thank you all very much. I will post pics as soon as I get it put together. Rainman what did you find to be the best grouping hand loads? I found that 24 grains of Benchmark with CCI #400 primers in new Nosler brass with 55 grain Nosler Varmageddon FB tipped bullets in my Remington 700-VTR shoots a .372" 5 shot group at 100 yds.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 13:49

This is a pretty good thread for info as well -- may help you decide between scopes and on a mag range.

http://www.opticstalk.com/varmintpd-scope-1k15k-range_topic41031.html

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 17:54
Jester, the all around varmint load I settled on was Winchester cases, Fed 210 primers, 30.5 grains of IMR 4064 with 55 grain Hornady V Max bullets.  It consistently shoots into the low .30s.  IMR 4064 is a pain to meter so I trickle the last few grains on the scale.  .22-250 is accurate with many powder, bullet and primer combinations so if you are shooting volume go for an easier metering powder.  My volume centerfire varmint calibers are .223 and .204 both of which I load on a progressive.  Although .22-250 is pleasant to shoot it will take its toll on the shoulder over a three or four day period in a PD field.  My son uses it more than I do so I just make sure he doesn't cook the barrel.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jester74011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 08:02
Rainman, thanks a million. Good to know about metering 4064. My dad and I don't have a progressive press yet so we have to RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale and trickle all of our hand loads. It is a very time consuming and pain staking process to make a 100 rounds but in the end everyone shoots the same. I have not shot a 22-250 yet so I'm not sure what to expect from recoil but I have shot my 30-378 with 116 grains retumbo and a 210 grain berger vld bullet and its like a shoulder cannon. Providing I don't over heat the barrel on the rifle what is the projected life out of a 22-250 barrel. Weatherby says I should get between 300-400 rounds out of my 30-378 barrel before its a boat anchor.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 09:59

Swarvoski Z5/Z6, Zeiss HD5, Nightforce ATACR/NXS.

All top end great options but check plenty of reviews. I have used Ziess and IOR for yrs and recently tried a very nice Nightforce. I've had hands on some Swarvoski enough to know they are pretty even with Ziess in quality and function (imo). I post this to offer caution with the Nightforce. They have great turrets and tracking but in my experience their glass/coatings are not on the same level as your other choices. If I were making a choice out of your list it would be Ziess because (again imo) you will pay more for the same features for the Swarvoski brand.

Good luck and good huntin! and Welcome to the OT!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 13:01
I have a number of those scopes in different flavors & as a hunter I owe it to you to mention Leica ER3.5-14x42.If you don't need the illumination this might be the way to go.Another excellent scope that I'm using now is the new Minox made in Germany 3-15x56 illum & 2-10x50 illum.Put both these scopes along side my S&B couldn't tell them apart other than S&B was 2x the price & their warrenty was no were's near as good........Just food for thought,Ernie

Have you looked at any of the high end Super Snipers?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 13:07
.22-250 is not a heavy recoiling round and very pleasant to shoot...until you shoot a couple hundred rounds in a day and repeat for two or three consecutive days.  We hunt PDs in MT and WY on private land.  We use .22 Magnum and .17 HMR for shots within 200 yards, depending on wind conditions, or so and .204 and .223 for shots out to 400-500 yards.  My longest kill is just shy of 700 yards using my Kimber 84 .22-250.  There are many documented kills beyond 1000 yards but none by my group of mostly old guys.  I have a very accurate AR in 6.5 Grendel that I will be trying this year for some longer shots with a range finder and dialing my SS 3-15x for elevation.  We only use the rimfire calibers in ID for ground squirrels.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 16:46

Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

I have a number of those scopes in different flavors & as a hunter I owe it to you to mention Leica ER3.5-14x42.If you don't need the illumination this might be the way to go.........

I think that Leica (I own one) would make an awesome scope on a PD and coyote rig and was going to recommend that as well, but the OP references wanting this scope to be capable of 1200 yds should he want to play at those ranges.  In my opinion, that's the one limitation with the Leica -- the target turret limits the elevation adjustment to about 22 MOA so won't let the shooter reach out that far.    

Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 17:11
1200 yards with a 22-250?  Is that even a realistic possibility?  Mine was pretty good out to about 600 yards, but I never tried it beyond that range. My  scope (VXIII) ran out of elevation @ about 500 yards, and I had to hold over a tad @ 600.
I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 17:42

Originally posted by Skytrash Skytrash wrote:

1200 yards with a 22-250?  Is that even a realistic possibility?  Mine was pretty good out to about 600 yards, but I never tried it beyond that range. My  scope (VXIII) ran out of elevation @ about 500 yards, and I had to hold over a tad @ 600.

I don't know how far out the accuracy of the 22-250 starts to fall apart, but I'm guessing it's well south of 1200 yds.  I took his statement to mean he'd like this to be his designated scope for long range play (whether it be this rifle or another) and wanted the scope to have the capability to reach out there. 

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 21:08
Went back & read that he said he wasn't a sniper therefore he wasn't going to shoot out to 1200 yds.I don't know how far out he would be shooting but I think it should be no problems out to 650 yds even with a hunters turret!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jester74011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2015 at 07:15
Gentleman, thank you all for your very valuable information. After much consideration I have finally chosen a scope. I chose the Zeiss HD5 with the varmint z reticle in a 5-25x50. @Maverick2 you are correct even though the 22-250 would not be accurate out to 1200, I would like for the optics to be good enough for that distance. @Stickbow46 I would feel comfortable with a humane kill out to a maximum of 500 yards. Even though the gun and optics have greater range than that, I am not that confident in my shooting yet. With that being said I would still like to have a combination with greater abilities than what I currently posses. Again thank you all for the great information and welcoming me into the opicstalk.com family.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic