OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remove cross slot lug in Leupold PRW ring?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove cross slot lug in Leupold PRW ring?
    Posted: January/07/2015 at 04:13
Looking at photos of this ring online, it appears that Leupold once used a screw to secure the cross lug from a hole "inside" the ring:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/prw-mounting-systems/prw-1-in-low/

I think Leupold press-fits the recoil lug nowadays and the hole in the ring no longer exists.

I'm not sure which version of the ring the original poster of this old thread had, but has anyone ever removed the cross slot lug in a PRW ring (using a press, punch, or otherwise)?
http://www.opticstalk.com/leupold-prw-rings-cross-slot-lug-height_topic7863.html

The reason I ask is I'm mounting a scope on a Ballistic Enterprises BE#1 base for a Benjamin 392 pumper airgun (somewhat of a niche application).  Without going into details, I'll get the best fit possible by running one ring without the recoil slot cross lug and locating the ring on top of one of the base's grub screws instead of on the slot . I could mill the lug away, but I hate to make a permanent change to the ring.

I searched all over the web and this forum is the only place that I even found any discussion of the removal of the recoil lug on a PRW ring.

Thanks for any advice.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2015 at 07:32
I'd suggest PM ing Rifledude (Ted) or Cheaptrick (Mark) for their opinions.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2015 at 09:41
I don't know I even understand the question. I'm sure Rifledude will though. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
calinb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2015 at 14:09
Thanks, I'll try PM.

cheaptrick, You know how Weaver and Picatinny mounts and rings have a cross-screw or lug that sticks down into the rail slots to resist recoil and the ring must be located over a slot?  Sometimes this recoil lug is simply the tightening cross screw but other times a separate bar is built into the ring. If it's a separate bar, it could be removed, by machining it away, if necessary. Then the mount or ring could then be tightened anywhere on the rail (it would not need to be located over a slot). It would lose the recoil resistant feature of the lug, however.

My air gun weaver rail only has two slots and milling a new slot where I need it is not an option, because the rail to gun attachment grub screw is right where I need the slot (perfect scope fitment is very tight). If I make a Weaver-style ring without a lug, I can put it wherever I want it. The air gun is a multi-pumper and doesn't recoil much at all so I don't need the lug, I'm sure, but I like to make a reversible mod to the ring, if possible.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2015 at 15:19
Hey, Calinb --
If memory serves, I believe the lug/key is held in place by a screw, which should be accessible from within a counter-bored hole inside the lower ring half, but I haven't seen a set of PRW rings in some time to recall.

If it's not held in place by a screw, then it's press-fit into place in a slot. If that's the case, you would just have to remove the moveable side of the dovetail clamp and pry it loose. If it's glued in place, you can heat up the bottom of the ring to break the glue loose and pry it out.

Let us know if that works. I'm just relying on memory here, and my memory betrays me more and more as I get older. Ha!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
calinb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2015 at 15:23
Thanks, RifleDude!

I'll report back about my progress.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2015 at 08:58
Be careful with heating (if required).  "more" is not better...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
calinb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2015 at 00:41
I thought I'd have to remove the recoil lug from one ring but I got a set of Leupold PRW rings and, by milling a new slot in my mount, I didn't need to fuss with trying to remove the lug from the ring. I lucked out, but I knew a new slot would close to an existing grub screw on my mount. It barely fit!

If anyone is interested in what motivated my question, I posted about scoping my Benjamin 392 multi-pumper on  the Crosman airgun forum here (with photos):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/thread/1420871149/My+392+-+BE%231+-+BSA+2-7x32+installation+w-+photos.

calinb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2015 at 00:42
Oh--and thanks for all the assistance here. I dodged a bullet (pellet ?) this time!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic