OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Older Nikon Bonocular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older Nikon Bonocular
    Posted: December/31/2014 at 13:10
Though new to this board, I am not new to the world of optics.

I have read thru many threads and am delighted to see the depth of knowledge regarding FOV, light transmission, etc. and an appreciation of quality glass. Also impressed with the general knowledge of history of various  products and manufacturers, thus the following questions;

Let me give you some back ground info... I have an older Nikon binocular. It has been on countless hunting trips and has suffered drops, kicks, bangs and general unintended abuse that is inherent with life in the outdoors.

I purchased this binocular in 2004, probably made in 2003 or earlier. Then a few years later a plethora of lesser models were available from Nikon. My binocular is simply a Nikon Monarch. No additional descriptive nomenclature on the product nor paperwork accompanying it.

When I purchased a Swarovski CL three years ago I thought it would replace the Nikon, however, the more I compared the two the more impressed I was with the old Nikon; clear, bright, sharp, solid low light delivery and only a bit of fuzz around the edges... now my question;

Did Nikon elevate this old binocular with the "X" and later 5 or 7 nomenclature while innovating a slew of lesser models under ATB label? I have yet to find anything its equal on the low side of Monarch 7.

I paid approximately $350 for this binocular in 2004.

Thanks for your assistance and I wish a blessed 2015 for all.

Wf

May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 11:12
The original Monarch was a grey armored binocular and was not phase corrected.  I believe it was phased out for the Monarch ATB, which is a green armor binocular.  I had the first green ATB I got in 2002.  Decent binocular, but I'd sure never in a hundred years think a Swarovski was not as good.

Nikon did all sorts of pretty meaningless "upgrade" permutations of that ATB design.  There were a couple where the addition was only one of dielectric prism coating.  Then there was the Monarch 3 then the 5 that seemed to offer not much more than marketing psychoanalysis.  Seemed to me they were going to get all the mileage it was possible to get from that ATB design.

The X was a different animal.  I always thought that whoever put that incredibly stupid rod in between the barrels need the woodshed treatment.  It was narrow fov as were all of the Nikon stuff.

As far as I'm concerned there is most anything in its price range that is as good or better than the original ATB.  Mine gave way to a Vortex Viper and I now have more 8x42 binoculars than I can shake a stick at.

The 5 is the first decent upgrade in my opinion.  The Monarch 7 is the upgrade Nikon should have done in the first place.  It upgrades the original ATB in all ways.

Sorry for not responding to a legit question sooner, but somehow I simply missed seeing your post.  While I'm at it welcome to OT.

Edited by Klamath - January/18/2015 at 11:18
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2015 at 22:03
Thanks Kal, Good information. This particular binocular seems to be good in all respects, including durability.

It seems that you are confirming my notion that it is a pretty decent optic and later iterations offered little if any improvement.

Now,, to qualify my Swarovski comment, the Swaro is indeed better, however, side by side with the Nikon (which apparently is an ATB without a label, the Nikon is quite impressive.

Many thanks for the reply,

Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2015 at 16:12
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

As far as I'm concerned there is most anything in its price range that is as good or better than the original ATB.  Mine gave way to a Vortex Viper and I now have more 8x42 binoculars than I can shake a stick at.

No. sorry for the mis-impression, I do not think the Nikon Monarch in any iteration below the Monarch 5 is able to stand up to the across the board competition from other brands.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic