OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons parallax problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons parallax problems?
    Posted: July/13/2004 at 19:00

I have a Simmons .22 Mag on an Anshutz .22 LR.  I could really drive tacks with it, but the last few times I have taken it to the range, I could not get the target and crosshairs to both stay clear at a 25 yard distance. I called Simmons and am confused with the answer I recieved.  They told me that I was at too close of a distance for the parallax setting on that model scope.  I frequently use my .22 at distances closer than that, and am concerned.  Have had the scope sent back to the factory a few years ago, they fixed it and sent it back, good as new.  I  have always been able to  use it at 25 yd clearly, so I know something is different.  CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME?....What should I do, send it back  again?  Or is it time to take my losses and get a different scope.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciatted. Thanks

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 09:37
have you tried focusing the eyepiece??? most of the time, that will clear the scope up quite a bit.

cory
LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 17:34
I have tried adjusting everything.  The eyepiece,  the power, I just wish I had an adjustable objective on it.  Not much else I can do to fix it.....I think something inside has changed
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 17:37

Sounds like Simmons rep. just gave you a standard response.  Send it to them with a letter explaining that the reticle and image will no longer focus at the same time at 25 yards.  Don't mention it being on a rimfire.  If it did focus at one time and now does not then something has gone wrong.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 17:44
i agree with chris. i would send it back, and either ask them to repair, or ask for a replacement, they might not refund it though, but i think its worth a try.
and you could buy a scope to replace it, if your up to it, and put that one away as a back-up. becuase everybody knows, you cant have to many.

cory
LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 18:02

That is what I thought too.  Thank you for taking the time to help me out.  I just wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks again.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 22:04

I believe this is just your rifle rebelling because you put a Simmons on an Anshutz!  Come on now, a rifle like that desearves something that cannnot be bought at Walmart!

ranburr

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 23:42
I agree completely.  I was young when my father bought the rifle for me, and the Simmons was a step up from the open sights for hunting (emphasis on the WAS.)  I think I will send it in just because it is broken, and look into an upgrade.  I have to admit though, for a cheap scope, it has served its purpose well until now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic