OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Parallax Adjustment needed for 500 yard shots??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is Parallax Adjustment needed for 500 yard shots??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailblazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Parallax Adjustment needed for 500 yard shots??
    Posted: December/29/2014 at 18:25

I’ve been searching this site for information about the effects of parallax, and I have read the post in the FAQ section.  While the general consensus seems to be that parallax adjustment isn’t  need on lower magnification scopes, I am not finding much information about using relatively low power scopes with no parallax adjustment (like a 3-9x) at medium ranges (500 yards).

I am trying to decide on a scope for my T3 which I intend to use as an “all purpose” rifle (if there is such a thing), which includes deer hunting as well as plinking steel and groundhog hunting out to the 400-500 yard range.  I want a relatively small, compact scope in the $600 and under price range.    I’m looking at several  3-9x scopes that have no parallax adjustment and I’m concerned about using these scopes out to 500 yards.

The post in the FAQ  section says “A 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.”  There is no mention of what the affect would be on 9X at 500 yards.  To my way of thinking, even with a shooter/ rifle combination that together are cable of making 1MOA shots at 500 yards, that is still a 5.25” group.  Add another inch or more to that due to parallax, and that could mean the difference between missing a groundhog or taking him out.

So my questions are:

-How much worse does the parallax get at 9X?  It is stated elsewhere in the FAQ post that it becomes more of a concern in scopes above 9X, but is that because at 10X and greater the problem becomes appreciably worse, or is it really because people generally use scopes above 9X to shoot longer distances?  In other words, is it just as much of a distance problem as it is a magnification problem?

-Would I be better off considering a slightly higher power scope like a 3-12X that DOES have parallax adjustment if I want to shoot to 400 or 500 yards?

Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 12:21
You put your right foot in
You take your right foot out
You put your right foot in
And you shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about

You put your left foot in
You take your left foot out
You put your left foot in
And you shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about

That's how I do it anyway. 
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 13:23
Comparatively few shooter/rifle combinations are capable of making 1MOA shots at 500 yards at field conditions and the problems are usually not the scope.

That having been said, i would get a scope with adjustable parallax, something like the SWFA SS 3-15x42.

Why limit yourself when you do not have to?

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 19:41
No, parallax adjustment is not needed to shoot 500 yards or further.  It doesn't hurt though.

When shooting a fixed parallax scope at long range, it helps to have a repeatable cheek weld and your eye centered behind the exit pupil.

This article says that parallax error is not affected by magnification at all:

The last time we talked about it here, I beleive Koshkin was going to proof the math... but I never heard the results.

Wink
-Matt
Trailblazer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailblazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 20:40
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Comparatively few shooter/rifle combinations are capable of making 1MOA shots at 500 yards at field conditions and the problems are usually not the scope.

That having been said, i would get a scope with adjustable parallax, something like the SWFA SS 3-15x42.

Why limit yourself when you do not have to?

ILya

I agree.  I'm not claiming to be a good enough shooter to hold 1MOA groups at 500 yards with a factory rife (or even with a custom rifle), so to me every little bit of help counts!

In regards to your scope recommendation, I want hunting turrets and a ballistic reticle of some sort, and preferably a smaller 1" tube.  I intend to practice enough at different ranges to be consistent with  knowing how my loads match up to the reticle so I won't need to dial in shots in hunting situations.

My dilemma now is that my first choices in scopes are all 3-9's with no parallax adjustment.  To stay within the above listed parameters but have parallax adjustment, I am having to consider scopes that previously were not on my list of choices.

Any input appreciated.

Scopes I originally considered (no parallax adjustment):

Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 BDC reticle
Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 HHR reticle
Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x42 HHR reticle
Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x42 with Illuminated Ballistic E1 reticle
Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 DOA 600

Scopes that I would consider to get parallax adjustment:

Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 Dead Hold Reticle (Are these scopes decent??)
Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 BDC reticle (Don't care for the Nikon circle reticles)
Weaver Grand Slam 3-12x42  EB-X reticle (I know nothing about these but don't like the eyepiece design)

Trailblazer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailblazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 21:55
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

When shooting a fixed parallax scope at long range, it helps to have a repeatable cheek weld and your eye centered behind the exit pupil.

I certainly don't disagree with your statement.  Not so sure I'm consistent enough to minimize it on skill alone, and I also don't know if I can expect to have a consistent cheek weld in hunting conditions and/or when I'm shooting from various positions on various terrain at steel and groundhogs. No doubt I could minimize it while shooting at targets off of a bench, but I'm not confident in other conditions.  Just trying to minimize as many variables as I can so if I miss I know it's my fault.

This is a tough choice.  If only we could mix and match all the features we want into one scope...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic