OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR scope 10-11" for around $200-250 range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR scope 10-11" for around $200-250 range
    Posted: July/11/2006 at 11:35
In the last few month I just completed two AR builds, both 16" barrels. One will get a Aimpoint or ACOG and the other a basic 3x9 or fixed 5-6 power scope. My buget is about $200-250. The problem is I'm looking for something that is only about 10-11" long. It will mainly be used to shot paper at 100-200 yards. Thanks for any help full info.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 12:12
Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 is the right size is well below $200 and it is available with a a few different reticles.  I have one with Ballistic Plex on Keltec SU-16 in 223 Rem (hard to get an AR in California), and it works great.

Burris Short Mag scopes would also fit the bill but their long eye relief requires a more expensive mount that is offset forward.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 is only an inch or so longer than the 2-7x35, but I prefer the smaller scope, personally.

Sightron S2 has a couple of scopes that fit your requirements: 2.5-7x32 and 2.5-10x32.

There are a few good 6x scopes in your price range, but I think they are all around 12" long: Burris Fullfield II 6x40, Nikon Monarch 6x42, Sightron S2 6x42.

ILya
bigboye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 12:17
Thanks for the info. This will be my first scope ever so I have no clue. How are the Burris as far as quality. I was looking at a ATN scope but I saw a few bad reviews.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 12:33
Burris is one of the better manufacturers out there.  There are several reputable makers like Burris, Nikon, Weaver, etc that make reasonably affordable and good quality scopes.  ATN scopes are not made well at all.

ILya
bigboye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 14:05

What about

Leupold 2-7x33 Rifleman Riflescope
$174.95

or

Nikon 2-7x32 Monarch UCC Riflescope

$$289.95

Getting out of my range but still only 11"

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 14:09
Monarch 2-7x32 is a nice scope if you can afford it.  For my money, I went with a Fullfield II which is slightly worse optically, but is also a lot less expensive.

Rifleman is an overpriced piece of dung that is an embarassment to Leupold's name.

ILya
bigboye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 15:04
Koshkin you have any pic. of your Keltec. Thanks for the info. The Nikon is more than I want to pay. I looked at the Sightron S2 and they seem nice also. The Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 maybe my choice but I just want to se what it looks like. Your Kaltec may help.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2006 at 15:47
I have not made any pics of it, I am afraid.  However, AR is a very different design, so I am not sure how helpful it will be.  Either way, I'll try to remember to snap a picture when I get home tonight.

ILya
Fla.Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fla.Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2006 at 03:14
ATN Is A very large hunk of JUNK!I have A leupold 4-12-40 Rifleman on my AR15 bushmaster.supermatch triger,free floating target rifle.It shoots great with that scope.When I shoot At longer range I take off the Leupold,and put on the SuperSniper scope,it makes pinpoint shots far out.The Leupold shoots great up to 200yards,after that the SuperSniper is in its zone.
bigboye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2006 at 10:06

A friend said to take a look at this scope any input on it.

Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2006 at 11:43
It's a decent scope, but I think that either Fullfield II or Sightron S2 would be a better choice.  Both have better glass than Elite 3200 and offer more versatility.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic