OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Springfield 1903 Scope and mount question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield 1903 Scope and mount question
    Posted: December/19/2014 at 22:09
I have a sporterized 1903 springfield.  It has the Redfield scope base and a vintage Weaver K4 scope, looks to be a 30mm scope.  The weaver scope reticle is just to fine for me and I have trouble seeing it against anything but a very bright back ground.  I also would also like a bit more magnification than the x4 power offers.  (As my monicker points out I'm in Idaho, and the space can be a bit wide here).  So a variable scope would be nice.  (I have a 3-9 x 40mm on my other rifles).   

My problem is that the action and the scope mount does not leave much clearance for a scope with a rear bell much bigger than what is currently on the rifle.  maybe a few mm wider.  I measure the bell to be at 1.44 inches.   

Do they still make higher rings for that mount?  If I raise the rings, I am going to need a cheek pad for the stock. 

What are my options? 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 13:40
Leupold has small eye pieces. I would look at some pf them as a place to start
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2014 at 22:33
The current Weaver Classics still have the same size oculars as the old days, so do the Redfield Revolution scopes.  The earlier Nikons used to have slender oculars, but they started to get fatter in the late nineties.  Leupold, as Supertool mentioned...

Your old Weaver would be a one inch K4 with a 32mm objective lens.  

Whenever I had a 4X scope already mounted on a rifle, and I wanted to take a guess as to how a 3X9 would fit in those rings, I used to slide a 22 bullet under the objective bell between the barrel and scope and see if it fit in there.  If the 22 bullet slid in there, that usually meant that there was enough height to handle a 40mm scope objective.  Depending on how tight it was would indicate how close to the barrel you might be when you were done, however. 
Visit the Ed Show
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 07:57
Can you post a photo of rings and base? A. 2-7 leupold might be a good fit.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
IdahoSkies View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2014 at 12:26
Here is a photo of the rifle and scope. (Bolt handle down)

Here is the front objective bell.  A .22 lr fits generously between the bell objective and the barrel.

Here is the area I am concerned with.

This photo shows the clearance of the bolt handle.  It really is just a few mms. 

So what scope will fit here?  I really dont want to put taller rings on.  1) I don't know if taller rings exist for this base, and 2) the mount is just slightly taller than I would like for the stock already. 

Any variable scope recommendations for the space I have?

biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2014 at 21:30
The Leupold VX2/3 scopes have fairly trim oculars as well as the Sightron Big Sky series. I think the safe bet would be the 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX3.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2014 at 22:13
Any of the scopes that still have the old skinny oculars....    Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic