OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suppressors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suppressors
    Posted: December/16/2014 at 17:50

I apologize if I am posting this on the wrong forum.

I am in the process of creating a Gun Trust with the intent of purchasing a suppressor.

I am interested in finding out what others are using, and what they recommend for an AR 5.56 . I have a budget of around $1K ,preferably less , but could go higher if necessary.

Thanks

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 17:54
I went with a Thunderbeast 30p1.  It is titanium, so it is light.  With a 30 cal can, I can use it on my .308, 6.8, 300 blk, 223 and anything in-between.  If you are just getting a single can, getting one you can use on multiple calibers is a good thing IMO.  I would definitely go titanium.  ALl the weight on the end of your gun is very noticeable. 

There are a lot of good cans out there, just gotta pick.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2014 at 16:05

I know little or nothing about suppressors.  I see more people out at our gun club using them, and Gemtech seems to be one of the more popular products.

Thanks for Thunderbeast info, I hadn't heard out that one. Looks like a viable candidate.  Is there a downside to having a single can that spans .30 - .22 caliber?  Versatility seems to make since

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2014 at 16:20
It is bigger and heavier than if you just bought a dedicated .22 cal can for your AR.  Also some claim using a 30 cal on a .223 may not be as quiet as a .223 can on a .223.  I have no way of testing that myself as I just have the one.  Then on the other hand I have heard the longer 30 cal can will be quieter because of the added length.   

There are several members on this site that run Thunderbeasts.  From all the research I did, they are a good can. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 07:00
Thunder beast is a great can, the 30P-1 would work great with what your wanting to do with it. The 30 cal will be a tad louder on a .223 but its is nothing you will notice with your ears as it is only like 3-5db.

The Saker762 is a really nice can. you will need a Muzzle Brake Mount for each rifle.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 09:13
Would it be going on other caliber guns?

I have a Thunderbeast as well, they are great suppressors, very quiet, very well made.  Gemtechs aren't bad, I have a sandstorm on a trust, but it is mostly used by another trustee, they are similar to Thunderbeast in weight and length but show a bit more point-of-impact change when the suppressor is removed - compared to the 30P-1.

An important component in the conversation is QD vs thread-on.  If it is to go on one rifle and stay there, thread-on is fine.  If it is to be swapped between multiple rifles, a GOOD QD is preferable - but a BAD QD is the worst possible solution.  I say that because Gemtech's QD is among the worst I have used.

I have also had great luck with Yankee Hills Machine suppressors, their QD setup is actually a more course thread and it works great, very secure, very well aligned with the bore.  Their Phantom series steel suppressors are heavy as hell but are relatively inexpensive.  My first personal suppressor was a YHM Phantom 7.62 and I still use it, still love it - much heavier than the titanium cans, but its on a 17 pound rifle, so another pound makes very little difference.

If only shooting 223, I would get a 223 can.  I've done some side-by-sides with a Gemtech 5.56 Phantom QD and the 30P-1 (thunderbeast) and was surprised they were so close, given that the YHM is so much smaller.  If shooting multiple calibers, a good 30-cal can works well and offers lots of versatility that a caliber-specific can will not.

Hope that helps.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 09:44
Out in the country, one can almost always tell the difference between shotguns and rifles fired by distant shooters because a rifle's supersonic shot makes two distinguishable pops, while a shotgun just makes one. Ka- pow vs pow.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 16:17

quote: Would it be going on other caliber guns?

Maybe!  I may eventually be looking to buy/build separate uppers in different calibers. I really doubt I would want anything bigger then .30 caliber. With the cost of these things, it certainly makes sense to have versatility.

I have read where some of the manufacturers claim that their "cans" help with accuracy. If true, would a caliber specific model be more desirable ?

Thanks for the help .

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 16:20
I can shoot half inch 100 yard groups with or without my can on my AR or my .308. 

SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2014 at 14:52
I think a  legitimate claim is that a 'can' reduces recoil and suppresses sound, resulting in an opportunity for better accuracy.  If you flinch less, you should have improved accuracy.  The trigger puller has to do their part correctly whether suppressed or not.

Supertool is a perfect example that if you do the proper mechanics you will have equal results.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2014 at 15:48

Semo / Supertool:

That is kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. I do seem to recall Browning marketing a tunable/adjustable muzzle brake on some of their rifles.  I have also seen some older (Winchester 52?) .22 caliber bench guns that used harmonic tuners.  I thought that maybe the suppressors were utilizing something like this to enhance accuracy (hey! maybe I'm onto something here Big Grin).

Thanks for all the good info.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2014 at 21:18
Get a Thunder beast 30P-1 and threaded uppers for all 30 and below cals. after you shoot with a suppressor some you will be buying more.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2014 at 07:48
If you KNOW that you will only want to shoot 556 then get a 556 can as they are smaller and lighter.
However, most people will advise to get a 30 cal can as it's more flexible.
Some 30 cal can's are quieter than their 22 cal equivalent due to the increased volume, case in point the Saker.

I am friends with the guys from the SilencerShop and we do a lot of testing with them with $10K DB meter and I can tell you that the actual real sound difference (both DB meter and human ear) between cans of the same size (say full size 9" cans) is damned near irrelevant truth be told. 

Cans are like everything else, there are some tradeoffs.

I like lightweight cans and have two Templar Tacticals.
Both are titanium with a monocore baffle stack.
One is a direct thread 9" and the other a 6" that uses their PMS setup that allow it to be mounted on their flash hider/mount, brake/mount, direct mount (basically no function other than the suppressor interface) and JEC brakes makes a killer brake (the most popular brake in the PRS) that doubles as a mount.

Their mount does not have index points or clicks and does NOT come loose with shooting and is every bit as accurate as the direct thread on.

I have two more of his cans coming, another 6" and a 7.5", both will be PMS for more flexibility in using on varying rifles.

The longest can is the quietest, but the short can is nice because it is just more manageable in blind, getting in and out of a truck, etc..

The downside to these cans is they are not cheap, but even the little can is 300 win mag rater and when used with a brake is full auto and SBR rated as the brake takes the brunt of the initial blast.

Thunderbeast makes great cans, SilencerCo, Griffen is coming on strong, Surefires are expensive and LOUD but tough, I would avoid AAC like the plague.

Really it comes down to what you want to do with it and what is the most important to you and how much you are willing to spend to get everything you want.

My advice, call Jeremy at the SilencerShop and give him your parameters, they make it easy.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2014 at 07:10
Thanks ccoker, I appreciate the info.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2014 at 13:55
Anytime..
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic