OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger AR 556

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger AR 556
    Posted: December/15/2014 at 09:41

I recently acquired a Ruger AR 556.  I'm quite impressed with this as an entry level AR, I thought it was a good value @ $600. I have run around 500 rounds through it without a single malfunction. When I get some extra $, I might upgrade the trigger. The only other thing I might replace is the rear sight, it has only a single peep hole, and I would prefer having the option of switching to a smaller peep for longer range, although I may go ahead and put some sort of optics on it.

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2014 at 10:21
Good to know. 

Are you asking what sort of flip up rear sight you need to run a scope with? I have a Yankee Hill flip up sight and it isn't compatible with a scope. Meaning, it doesn't lay low enough to the charging handle to allow a scope to sit over the top of it, if that makes sense. The YH is still a pretty good BUIS in it's own right though. If I need to slap a scope on the rail, I just remove the sight. 

Rancid here has one that works, but I can't recall the make of it.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2014 at 11:11
Midwest industries makes one that folds very low.  I have several of them and they work well.  Most of the fold down sights will not have an good BDC built into them like a carry handle sight will.  But where they are intended for backups, they work well. 

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=173
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 14:57
Ah yes...that's the one! Thank you, ST.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 17:33

Most of the AR rear sights I've used in the past had a larger aperture for short range/night shooting and a smaller one for longer range. The Ruger has a single one that's kind of in the middle. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and I don't see doing a lot of longer range shooting with open sights. The rear sight will work fine inside 100 yards, and will probably be back up to something else.

The $$$ question is what sort of optics to put on it.  I'm torn on this question, I keep vacillating between a holographic red dot sight and a magnified 2-3x (something like a Trijicon).  I'm even looking at something like a 1.5-6x30 scope.

I would like to be able to quickly engage targets (varmints/zombies) from 10-200+ yards with a single system.  Budget?   $500 (give or take $200)

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 17:41
I much prefer magnified optics to red dots.  I am a big fan of low powered optics.  I own a 1-4x Trijicon, SWFA 1-4x SS, 3x Acog, 1.5-5x sightron big sky, 1.5-5x Leupold VX3, 4X IOR, 1.5-6x Burris, 4x Leupold. 

I would take a look at the new SWFA SS 1-4x.  Its $400.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic