OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for .223 LTR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for .223 LTR
    Posted: July/13/2004 at 18:35
I just bought a Rem 700LTR in a .223.  I will use the rifle mostly for benchrest, but also for varmint hunting and possibly whitetail as well.  I am looking for a scope that covers all of those areas suffieciently, but don't want to spend a great deal of money.   I was set on a Springfield 4-16X42, but after hearing about the hold up from SA, I don't want to go down that road.  Are there any scopes on the market similar to that model for around the same, or a lesser price?
ak nix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak nix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 04:23
Have you checked out the Burris Ballistic Plex Reticle? Good price for a good scope! The lighted reticle version is awsome in lo light. I like it so much I want to get another one.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 09:27

ditto. i think the 3-9x40 is not going to be enoguh power for you, but they have the burris FF2 4.5-14 with the ballistic plex, and a free 12-24 spotter for $319.95. its a great deal.

cory

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 17:39

Thanks guys, I'll look into the Burris.  Any opinion on a V16 Weaver?  I have a Tasco World Class on another Remington bolt action that I like fairly well, but think I would like something a little better.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 17:48

i would stick with the burris for the reticle, and becuase i dont really like weaver. no particular reason, but i just dont like them. i think there's better scopes for the money out there.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 18:10
Weaver is good but it does not have the ballistic reticle or the free spotter.  Optically the Fullfield II and V series are very similar.  The V-16 has low profile finger adjustable windage and elevation and is a quad power scope (4-16 instead of 4.5-14), so you will get a broader power range.  The Fullfield II does not need target knobs because the reticle does all the work for ya.
LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 18:20

Good to know Chris.  I like the comparison.  I sure appreciate the help you guys are giving me.  I just got swamped looking at all the scopes out there.  There are tons of choices, and I just didn't have the time to look at all of them.

Thanks again, and you guys are running a great forum.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 18:24

no problem, and dont take my thoughts about the weaver scopes into you considerations, becuase i have only looked through them, and have never tried one, i was just saying that becuase it was my opinion, and for some weird reason, i jsut dont like the weaver name.

cory

yeah... i know... im odd

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 18:45

Hey Cory, not a problem, a reason is a reason, and an opinion is what I was looking for. 

Chris, can you say when the offer expires on the Burris FF2 w/ the spotting scope?  I don't want to miss out on it, but have to work a few more days after the dent the LTR made in the reserves!!!

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 15:23

The free spotter deal will last as long as our inventory does.  They are stacked two deep BTW.

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 17:51

Ordered the Burris yesterday.  I will let you all know what I think of it as soon as I get it, and get it mounted.  Thanks once again for the advice. 

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2004 at 13:47
Take one down........ship it all around......nine hundred and ninety nine scopes on the wall.
LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2004 at 18:07

Hey Chris, got the scope today!!  I really love the clearity.  I'll let you know more after the sight in....I was wondering one thing...The scope seems to have the wrong covers, they fit a 40mm well.  And also, was the spotter suppost to have a base, legs or something?  If not do you guys sell those separate?  Really appreciate the work you guys do.  And love the forum. 

Thanks

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 10:05

Glad to hear you like your new scope.  Can't wait to hear your range report.

Did you buy Butler Creek flip ups with it?  If so, what sizes did we ship ya?  Or are you talking about the Mickey Mouse Burris covers?

The spotter does not come with a tripod but have lots of them for sale plus window mounts.  Check them out here.

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 11:23

I did not get the flip ups, as of yet...The Burris covers are the wrong size.  The 42mm end is too small.  It fits a 40mm scope I have very well, but drops inside this one.

Thanks again

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 11:55

We don't have any of their covers to exchange for ya.  You can send it to us and we can send it back for exchange or you can send it to Burris for exchange.

Burris 970-356-1670

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 17:34

Alright.  That is what I needed to know.  Greatly appreciate the help.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 20:41

Glad you like it.

Cory

LTRhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2004 at 17:41

I contacted Burris via E-mail concerning the lens covers.  For future reference, I got the following reply.

"The lens covers that were supplied with the scope are the correct lens covers we are shipping with this particular model.  Since this is the only scope we offer with a 42mm objective we opted to use the included lens cover rather than the next size up which is made to fit a 44mm-50mm scopewhich is too large and will not supply ample coverage for the objective.  Our engineers felt it best to use the close 40mmobjective lens cover."

Just thought this info might help someone else in the future.

Thanks a bunch again to everyone that helped me out.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2004 at 15:00

if it wasnt for the awesome deal they have with that scope, and the free spotter, i think i would have to rant, lol.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic