OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

low light scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: low light scope
    Posted: December/11/2014 at 20:44

Fellers , 

what  do ya'll  guys  think of these scopes I have listed?WHICH  IS BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK?Bucky

vortex  viper  3.5 x10 x50

zeiss conquest 3.5 x10x50

meopta  meostar  3.5 x 10 x50

countryboy appreciates
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 14:26
Howdy countryboy,
I sure grew fond of you Tarheels and your state when I was at Ft. Bragg/Fayettenam about 45 yrs ago.

I'm also fond of the Conquest 3.5-10x44 which I ended up giving to my son and it is one fine scope. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll give it back if he ever wants something different.

A guy could go so far as to say that all of those scopes are great for their price points and it would all boil down to what reticle would suit you and how much you wanted to spend.

Ps Is the Meopta a 3.5-10, or a 3-10? Their German #4 is the bees knees.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 14:50
My answer to the "best bang for the $" question depends entirely on how much you can buy the Conquest for, since it's a discontinued scope.

Per Alan's comments, the Meopta Meostar is indeed 3-10X rather than 3.5-10X. It's a very nice scope, and an exceptional value for the $!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 15:04
I'd say optically you would be hard pressed to find a difference in the Meopta and Zeiss.   I believe they are a toss up to personal preference.  I believe they are both better, ever so slightly, than the viper
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 17:37
Originally posted by countryboy countryboy wrote:

Fellers , 

what  do ya'll  guys  think of these scopes I have listed?WHICH  IS BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK?Bucky

vortex  viper  3.5 x10 x50

zeiss conquest 3.5 x10x50

meopta  meostar  3.5 x 10 x50

That depends on what price you can get them for.

Optically, Meostar is a bit better than the Conquest with Viper being a bit further behind.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 18:03
I agree 100% ^
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 21:57
Guys  ,I  appreciate  the  answers. I  know  I can ask it on here and I  will  find out  the truth.Yes  Alann I  love my Tarheels also.
countryboy appreciates
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 03:55
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Howdy countryboy,
I sure grew fond of you Tarheels and your state when I was at Ft. Bragg/Fayettenam about 45 yrs ago.

The Nam isn't what it was back then. It's a suck hole and not worthy to base some of America's finest warriors.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Howdy countryboy,

The Nam isn't what it was back then. It's a suck hole and not worthy to base some of America's finest warriors.
Fayetteville was an eye opener for this naive country boy back then, too. I remember... lots of sand and pine trees and humidity and that my legs were like iron bars and i didn't have a spare ounce of fat. I remember young men just back from Nam, who... and those about to go.

The fellow who came up with Putt-Putt golf was from there and on the East side of Bragg Boulevard, he had the original Putt-Putt as well as a couple of other ventures, Slide-Slide (giant slides) and a burger joint, Wow-Wow, although I've never seen those two other ventures anywhere else. I'd never seen tobacco farms before and a pack of smokes was cheaper off base, being only $.18 at a few places. There was a place, or street or something on base called Smoke Bomb Hill. The name stuck, but that's all. I watched the moon landing at the home of a very nice local lady, which would be in '69. It's funny after all these years, the things I can remember and the things I can't and the things I should forget.

I've been meaning to talk about your hat. The first time or two you posted after you changed your avatar, I didn't really look at it and thought it was a pic of some guy in a British feathery ceremony helmet, then I looked at it...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 14:46
What hat?? Wink
ugapaul View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ugapaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 16:18
I have a Meopta Meostar and two different Vortex Viper models. The Meopta is ever so slightly better at low light. There is not enough difference to warrant the expense imo. I do love the Meopta, it has a beautifully colored, large image that is quite comfortable to look at. Is it worth an extra 3-400.00 over the Vipers, not to me. The actual resolution and light transmission are very close.

If it is bang for the buck you want with light transmission, the only scope to consider is a Bushnell elite 3-9x40 or 50.
ugapaul View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ugapaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 16:34
I do think it important to consider the No Fault, lifetime warranty of the Vortex Viper.
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 20:09
Yes , that  warranty  is something to think about with the vortex, ugapaul.I  don't know how zeiss or Meopta would handle  an problem  with an scope or just  give  yu  the run around.Big Grin
countryboy appreciates
sambubba View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sambubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 10:41
I don't know about Zeiss cs, but my experiences with Meopta have been great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by sambubba sambubba wrote:

I don't know about Zeiss cs, but my experiences with Meopta have been great.

My personal experience has been exceptional, with Zeiss. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 12:43
Since this is about a low light scope, the Vortex as good is it is, the BDC reticle is not going to work well. I have a Conquest #4 that is great in low light. The #4 Meostar is even better in the scope my brother has.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic