OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight scope
    Posted: December/09/2014 at 17:24
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40813.aspx

Thoughts?
What would be your reason for not buying(con)?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 17:29
That is an excellent all around scope, besides being lightweight.  I have used it and it is on the short list for my next purchase.

Great optics and build.  Constant eye relief.

I have also beat around the 4-12 version quite a bit, and it has proven very durable.  I would expect the same from the 3-9.
-Matt
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 17:40
I am looking for a lightweight all around scope. That I can put qd rings on and use on multiple rifles.

I don't know why more manufactures don't make a around a 12oz 3x9ish scopes.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 19:05
The turrets on the Swaro would not be my first choice for what you are wanting to do. I have a 3-10 and love it but it stays on my 25-06.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 19:33
They are not built to be moved regularly?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 15:47
They are capped turrets.  Moving to a different rifle would be a pain in my mind to have to rezero every time.  I am not a big fan of moving scopes.  I have an AR I swap out red dots and scopes on, but I don't move scopes from rifle to rifle.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 17:00
Originally posted by osprey osprey wrote:

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40813.aspx

Thoughts?
What would be your reason for not buying(con)?

If, hypothetically, I had to resort to selling one of my kidneys to pay the mortgage.

Otherwise, no reason at all!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 18:57
I guess I don't understand, why would you not want a scope for each rifle? Buy a rifle , buy a scope what am I missing? I won't say what else I am thinking or I will get jumped again!!!!!

WTH???
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 19:22
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

They are capped turrets.  Moving to a different rifle would be a pain in my mind to have to rezero every time.  I am not a big fan of moving scopes.  I have an AR I swap out red dots and scopes on, but I don't move scopes from rifle to rifle.

I moved scopes around a lot for years.  Still do quite a bit, though I now have some scopes that are exclusive (at least so far) to some rifles.  However, I like to zero… 
At one time I had a complete zero data book built for all the scopes I moved.  Even with that, it can sometimes impact the decision on which rifle to use and there was a lot of "upfront" time invested (building the data books) in being able to move a scope fairly quickly and accurately from rifle to rifle.   The SS1-6 I've already had on 4 different rifles and still am only about 75% convinced where it will finally rest.  Right now it is on a 6.5Grendel, but I would really like something in 1-8 or 1-10 (actually 1-12 would be just about perfect) on the Grendel and prefer the 1-6 on the 7.62x39 AR, which currently has a 1-4CMR that I took off the 5.56… and they have all rotated… you probably get the picture... Good thing I like to zero.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 22:38
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

I guess I don't understand, why would you not want a scope for each rifle? Buy a rifle , buy a scope what am I missing? I won't say what else I am thinking or I will get jumped again!!!!!

WTH???

I guess I like the idea of having qd rings/mount on at least a couple different scopes. Go figure.
graywolf.260 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graywolf.260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 23:54
Originally posted by osprey osprey wrote:

I am looking for a lightweight all around scope. That I can put qd rings on and use on multiple rifles.

I don't know why more manufactures don't make a around a 12oz 3x9ish scopes.

I put an ultralight (10oz) 3-9x33 vx-2 with lr duplex ballistic reticle on a light tikka 7mm08 this season and have been really happy with it as a 7lb mountain rifle. I had the custom shop put a cds moa turret on for $90. It is a very versatile, compact, clear, light, and rugged scope. Eye relief is a bit tight but I am willing to put up with that in exchange all the benefits and the low price. Actually cheap enough to get 2 or 3 and forget about the QD rings...
I took a cow and a mule buck with the rig, both at dusk in low light. The elk was only at 100 yds but the mulie was at about 400 yds and the scope performance was fine. The Swarovski 3-9 tempted me when I was putting together the rig but honestly I would rather have the little leupold because of the much more versatile ballistic capabilities and weight and price that outweigh the optical superiority of the Swarovski (at least for me).

osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2014 at 00:37
I might have to consider that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic