OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parshal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Suggestions
    Posted: December/09/2014 at 10:51
Hi, first post here.  I've been researching some new scopes and figure this is the best place for answers.

I've got a rem 700 BDL .264 win mag that's been blueprinted and will shoot under .5 MOA in the right hands.  It's got a Brown's Precision stock and is pretty darned light.  I've had a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VXIII on it for about ten years.  I've shot a few antelope and pigs with the scope before it was blueprinted.  On my deer hunt a couple weeks ago I got a nice muley at 293 yards but I had a heck of a time finding that deer in the scope.  It wasn't so much the FOV as it was trying to find the sweet spot (side to side) behind the scope.  I had an elevated position and a rock rest so stability wasn't an issue.  The scope was having issues when sighting in (it would move 2 - 3" rather than .25) so I sent it in for repair.  I'm looking for a better scope and will probably stick that old one on my .22 rimfire.

The rifle is my all around rifle.  I live and hunt mostly in the west.  I have 13 preference points for mt. goat and will be using this rifle to pack in.  I've also got 13 points for elk and antelope so it's going be used for just about everything.  I have a 600 yard range and will be practicing at that distance.  I don't expect to ever shoot at game beyond that.

The load I'm shooting is a 130 grain Swift Sirocco II at 3250 fps.  It's sighted in a 275 yards.  The PBR is pretty flat. 

I have Swarovski EL binos so I'd be using my scope for shooting and not spotting game.

Here's what I'd like to have:

1) Larger objective
2) Low rings mount
3) Minimum 14x high magnification
4) Elevation target-type turret

Price is important but if it's got the features I want I might suck it up although I'd prefer to keep it under $1500.  I realize #2 might be tough unless I look at the Leupold VX-L series.  For #4, even though I don't plan on dialing in my shots due to the PBR on the round I'd like to have it for shots longer than 375 yards or so.  I like the idea of Leupold's CDS for shots beyond that.  I believe that simple is faster in a hunting rig and will be shooting up to 600 yards to confirm my setup.  I think I prefer the SFP reticles over the FFP.

I've looked through the following:

Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x56mm
Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50mm
Swarovski Z5 3.5x-18x44mm
Burris Veracity 4-20x50mm

The Swaro was the clearest/sharpest of all.  The Leupold 50mm was adequate and I like the warranty.  However, I know there are better values out there in scopes in recent years over Leupold.

I've got a 6mm Creedmoor being built and will need a scope for it as well.  It will be a 10# target rifle (although it might be used for antelope or suburban deer with a suppressor) so the scope would be geared more for targets.  I might shoot to 1000 yards with it but most range work would be a 600 yards or less.  Although the ranges are similar to the .264 it's a different type of scope need, I think.

Sorry for a long first post but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.
parshal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parshal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 10:59
Oh, I forgot to mention that I like a simple reticle.  The BDC type reticles are just too much especially if I can dial the elevation turret.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 11:03
I would pick the Swaro.  I have a Z-6 on my 300 wsm and just love using it.  The optics are fantastic.  I have a real nice set of bino's as well, and I hate using my binos and then having to look through a crappy scope.  Sometimes, I can see the animal just fine in low light with my binos then when I put up a rifle with a lesser scope, I cannot even see the animal well enough.  The swaro surely helps in that regard. 

I have several Leupolds and they are good scopes no doubt, but they are no Swaro in regards to optical clarity.  A VX-L I believe is VX3 glass, so I don't think you are going to be improving much in that area. 

Any scope on higher mag is going to be harder to get behind.  When the exit pupil gets smaller you have a smaller band of light coming through the scope your eye has to line up with.  Obviously some scopes deal with this better than others, but that is one of the tradeoffs you have to deal with when you turn the mag up.  I personally don't have any big game scopes over 10x for this exact reason.  But that is just my personal preference. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 11:07
I've had this and with its weight and glass, going to be hard to beat.   There are also a few good leica's in your price range but I think the mag range and glass on the swaro get my nod
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
parshal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parshal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 11:09
I certainly noticed the lighter weight of the Z5.

I see the Leica ER's are priced to sell with the change to the ERi.  I've got no way to get my hands on one to see them, though.

I assume there are aftermarket custom turrets dialed for my load for most any scope I can buy.  Is that a safe assumption?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 11:27
You can't go wrong with either the Leica or Swaro.  I love the Swaro glass!  I would lean that way if it was my choice.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
parshal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parshal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 11:33
I should be clear that the scopes I listed are not the only ones I'd buy.  I just listed what I recently looked through.  I'm going to take a look at the VX-6 as well in 44mm.  That should give me the low ring height and from what I've read here it's got a nice large eyebox which is what caused me to start looking for another scope to begin with.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 12:16
That VX-6 ain't no slouch... but I'd still take the Swaro.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 17:37
Originally posted by parshal parshal wrote:

Hi, first post here.  I've been researching some new scopes and figure this is the best place for answers.

I've got a rem 700 BDL .264 win mag that's been blueprinted and will shoot under .5 MOA in the right hands.  It's got a Brown's Precision stock and is pretty darned light.  I've had a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VXIII on it for about ten years.  I've shot a few antelope and pigs with the scope before it was blueprinted.  On my deer hunt a couple weeks ago I got a nice muley at 293 yards but I had a heck of a time finding that deer in the scope.  It wasn't so much the FOV as it was trying to find the sweet spot (side to side) behind the scope.  I had an elevated position and a rock rest so stability wasn't an issue.  The scope was having issues when sighting in (it would move 2 - 3" rather than .25) so I sent it in for repair.  I'm looking for a better scope and will probably stick that old one on my .22 rimfire.

The rifle is my all around rifle.  I live and hunt mostly in the west.  I have 13 preference points for mt. goat and will be using this rifle to pack in.  I've also got 13 points for elk and antelope so it's going be used for just about everything.  I have a 600 yard range and will be practicing at that distance.  I don't expect to ever shoot at game beyond that.

The load I'm shooting is a 130 grain Swift Sirocco II at 3250 fps.  It's sighted in a 275 yards.  The PBR is pretty flat. 

I have Swarovski EL binos so I'd be using my scope for shooting and not spotting game.

1) Larger objective
2) Low rings mount

Price is important but if it's got the features I want I might suck it up although I'd prefer to keep it under $1500.  I realize #2 might be tough unless I look at the Leupold VX-L series.  For #4, even though I don't plan on dialing in my shots due to the PBR on the round I'd like to have it for shots longer than 375 yards or so.  I like the idea of Leupold's CDS for shots beyond that.  I believe that simple is faster in a hunting rig and will be shooting up to 600 yards to confirm my setup.  I think I prefer the SFP reticles over the FFP.

Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x56mm
Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50mm

The Swaro was the clearest/sharpest of all.  The Leupold 50mm was adequate and I like the warranty.  However, I know there are better values out there in scopes in recent years over Leupold.

I've got a 6mm Creedmoor being built and will need a scope for it as well.  It will be a 10# target rifle (although it might be used for antelope or suburban deer with a suppressor) so the scope would be geared more for targets.  I might shoot to 1000 yards with it but most range work would be a 600 yards or less.  Although the ranges are similar to the .264 it's a different type of scope need, I think.

Sorry for a long first post but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Sounds like you have a great rifle there sir. Let me say to you that I'm not trying to sound harsh or like an elite know it all. Its just in my humble opinion after owning a few and hunting in some dark twilight. Leupolds are junk scopes and Leupold has made a mint off American hunters for generations selling shotty OVER PRICED scopes with shotty  Japanese glass. It drives me crazy to see guys like you with great guns with what I'd call horrible scopes atop them. Right before 30 minutes past sun light most Leupolds are completely worthless. It makes me angry with their gimmick commercials. Putting a rifle scope on the bottom of a jet ski in a lake for 30 minutes then thinking its impressive because its able to shoot a few rounds. Who abuses their rifle scope to the degree of putting it on the bottom of a jet ski? And its still not the point. You can't shoot what you can't see in low light.

Of that group you mentioned please scratch the Leoupolds and don't let anyone fool you or tell you other wise. The Swarovski Z5 will be your best bet but if you would like to save an additional 400-500$ you will do just as well with the Zeiss 3x15-50s or the Zeiss 5x25-50s. Zeiss has really upgraded their Conquest and Conquest HD lines. The Swaro has slightly better glass than the Zeiss Conquest HD line. But Zeiss makes better overall glass than Swaro in their Victory FL and HT lines.

What you're looking to do, I'd say its a coin flip Z5 vs Zeiss HD5 line. The great thing now is that everyone can afford something from Zeiss, their lowest quality scope the Terra is better or on par with what you can get with Leupold's Vari Xs for the same price.

parshal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parshal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 17:49
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Of that group you mentioned...

I'm open to any and all scopes.  I'm not set on those particular ones.

Thanks for the replies.
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 18:09
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Originally posted by parshal parshal wrote:

1) Larger objective
2) Low rings mount

Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x56mm
Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50mm

Sounds like you have a great rifle there sir. Let me say to you that I'm not trying to sound harsh or like an elite know it all. Its just in my humble opinion after owning a few and hunting in some dark twilight. Leupolds are junk scopes and Leupold has made a mint off American hunters for generations selling shotty OVER PRICED scopes with shotty  Japanese glass. It drives me crazy to see guys like you with great guns with what I'd call horrible scopes atop them. Right before 30 minutes past sun light most Leupolds are completely worthless. It makes me angry with their gimmick commercials. Putting a rifle scope on the bottom of a jet ski in a lake for 30 minutes then thinking its impressive because its able to shoot a few rounds. Who abuses their rifle scope to the degree of putting it on the bottom of a jet ski? And its still not the point. You can't shoot what you can't see in low light.

Of that group you mentioned please scratch the Leoupolds and don't let anyone fool you or tell you other wise. The Swarovski Z5 will be your best bet but if you would like to save an additional 400-500$ you will do just as well with the Zeiss 3x15-50s or the Zeiss 5x25-50s. Zeiss has really upgraded their Conquest and Conquest HD lines. The Swaro has slightly better glass than the Zeiss Conquest HD line. But Zeiss makes better overall glass than Swaro in their Victory FL and HT lines.

What you're looking to do, I'd say its a coin flip Z5 vs Zeiss HD5 line. The great thing now is that everyone can afford something from Zeiss, their lowest quality scope the Terra is better or on par with what you can get with Leupold's Vari Xs for the same price.

Its people like you gives forums like this a bad name. I know very little about scopes but, listening to people like you makes listening to politicians pleasant.
I don't have a dog in the hunt one way or the other, I have looked at many scopes in the store, under artificial light. I have a hard time telling the difference in the glass. You remind me of an used car salesman, All opinion.

Anyway, trying to learn as much as I can here your post told me nothing but your opinions.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 20:17
Give me a break. Leupolds are not nearly as bad as u make them sound.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 22:15
No doubt, I can't imagine this brand of scope being useless junk with everything they make. Sure every brand has their lemons and models that are not all that great.
But according to Star Wars guy that this particular brand can not be successfully hunted with is reaching to say the least.

His advice to the op and anyone else reading is not at all helpful.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 09:28
Parshal, yours is a tough spot: on the edge of needing certain features that make a scope more cumbersome to use, but still needing the light weight and low profile of a packing/stalking gun.

Leica scopes are nice, great glass, but some of the older exposed turrets spun a bit too easily.  Be sure if you get a Leica that the turrets don't move too easily - or that the elevation has a zero stop, so you can always get back to good.

I really like Swaro, hard to go wrong so long as you have the features you need.  Also look at Zeiss, there are a few variants on the sample list (www.samplelist.com) now that could work for you.  I am a firm believer in glass quality over magnification, and I think you will be exceedingly pleased with almost anything from Zeiss (Victory and up) and Swaro - especially when comparing to your Leupold.

As said above, as you go higher in magnification, getting a good sight picture becomes more of a challenge, head position has less forgiveness. If you were set on 14X for a 293 yard shot, I think you would benefit greatly from a lower max power scope, ,maybe something in the 10X or maybe 12X range.  I avoid highest power for anything other than where it is absolutely needed - which isn't often.

On Leupold, I'll not wade into the conversation too far, other than to say I generally don't buy Leupold. I haven't been impressed with one in a very long time, and I think the competition has far exceeded - in quality and features, but not in price - what Leupold offers.  That said, some shooters I respect have recent tried Leupold's newer stuff and been pleasantly surprised.  There are great options, be sure to look at everything.

Lastly, not exactly what you asked for, but I'd consider the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10.  It doesn't have exposed elevation but it does have a very simple reticle, great glass for the money, and tremendous low light capabilities.  It isn't a small scope, but is among my favorite hunters in that category and where low light is assured.  I have yet to hear a hunter regret running a 2.5-10 Accupoint in any circumstances similar to yours.

One more point: consider acquainting yourself with a more complicated reticle.  The drop reticles, once understood, are amazingly useful.  I am an "old dog", learned precision marksmanship on a mil reticle and MOA turret, because that was the way everything ran; and I have learned to embrace and love the drop reticles for their speed, precision, and accuracy.  I was a turret-spinner for many, MANY years, and now dope most shots on the reticle, with great confidence.  Learning a new reticle can be daunting, but is very, very worth the effort.  Just a suggestion.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
parshal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parshal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I really like Swaro, hard to go wrong so long as you have the features you need.  Also look at Zeiss, there are a few variants on the sample list (www.samplelist.com) now that could work for you.  I am a firm believer in glass quality over magnification, and I think you will be exceedingly pleased with almost anything from Zeiss (Victory and up) and Swaro - especially when comparing to your Leupold.

I agree about the glass.  I have a Swaro ATX with both 95 and 65mm objectives.  It's fantastic along with two pairs of ELs in 42 and 50MM.

Quote On Leupold, I'll not wade into the conversation too far, other than to say I generally don't buy Leupold. I haven't been impressed with one in a very long time, and I think the competition has far exceeded - in quality and features, but not in price - what Leupold offers.  That said, some shooters I respect have recent tried Leupold's newer stuff and been pleasantly surprised.  

Exactly what the gunsmith who's building the Creedmoor said.

One more point: consider acquainting yourself with a more complicated reticle.  The drop reticles, once understood, are amazingly useful.  I am an "old dog", learned precision marksmanship on a mil reticle and MOA turret, because that was the way everything ran; and I have learned to embrace and love the drop reticles for their speed, precision, and accuracy.  I was a turret-spinner for many, MANY years, and now dope most shots on the reticle, with great confidence.  Learning a new reticle can be daunting, but is very, very worth the effort.  Just a suggestion.

I'm actually quite familiar with using the complicated reticles.  I just choose to not want to use them on a pure hunting rifle.  I'll be getting one for the 6mm, though.  Regarding the drop reticles, every reticle I've run through calculators have very odd ranges for the load I'm using.  That's why I'm leaning toward using the MPBR to my advantage and maybe using a custom top turret with yardages.  It's simple and can be dialed in at my range.  The vast majority of my shots are well under the MPBR of the rifle.

Right now I'm investigating the Vortex HST and I'm leaning toward the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 with illuminated reticle (to get the thicker reticle).  I can put the CDS dial on the Leupold and get most of what I want.  I'd put the HST on the 6mm.

Lots of choices out there and I'm not set on anything quite yet.

Thanks for the responses!

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 10:29
I've owned Leupold scopes in past and liked them just fine. The Leupolds I've owned would take me to the end of legal shooting time here in OK and I don't remember ever breaking one. Having said that, the low light performance of the top of the line Leupolds is not even close to being in the same league as the top of the line Swarovski, or Zeiss scopes. Not. Even. Close.

I once bragged here on OT about a VX3 low light performance vs. a Swaro based on a quick look around with each scope. I was challenged to prove it. A local dealer was willing to let me do a more extensive side- side comparison at night and the Zeiss and Swaro were resolving details where the Leupold was blacked out, or showed a murky view of something unidentifiable.
This test was in darkness, hours after legal light, with available light provided from nearby city lights illuminating an overcast sky... maybe like a quartering moon on a clear night. The test was really beyond what most of us would expect from our optics performance, but showed the true capabilities of each scope.
What would this mean in real world applications, in legal light? The Alpha glass scopes will give a hunter an edge. A friend and I watched a 14 pt buck step out into the wheat field about 180 yds away, with about 5 minutes left to shoot. I was counting tines with a Swaro and he could tell it was a buck with his Monarch. It was his turn to take one, so...
There is a reason that the Alpha scopes can sell at multiples of lesser scopes, not that it will always pay off for you.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 10:40
On custom dials for elevation: their value is directly correlated to 2 very specific factors:
1.   The accuracy of the initial data set
2.   That data not changing in any way.

I have run Kenton knobs on a few scopes, but quickly realized the limitations. As my turrets were custom printed with my data, they were dead nuts - till the weather changed, or the elevation, or till I wanted a different bullet/powder combination, then it was another turret for that.

In contrast, a mil or MOA reticle that gives no feet or yardage or meter values is immensely more usable.  Once I know range to target, I have data (on a card or in my phone) that tells me drop in mils or MOA.  My drop can compensate for weather, elevation, and any changes to weapon or ammo, everything simply gets plugged in and an answer comes out (obviously, the answer isn't known to be accurate till it is tested under actual conditions.)  Granted, this means I go to the field with a Kestrel and a phone or range card, but I don't twist turrets any more (much) and I can make much faster shots when necessary.

Stop thinking in terms of inches in drop, start thinking in terms of mil or MOA adjustment on target, and the precision shooting world gets much bigger real quick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 10:50
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

I've owned Leupold scopes in past and liked them just fine. The Leupolds I've owned would take me to the end of legal shooting time here in OK and I don't remember ever breaking one. 

For the vast majority of hunters, this rings very true.  They carry the rifle very little, they shoot the rifle very little, and they take care when handling.  When/if you move beyond that paradigm, Leupold's value, as a general rule, rests in how great is there customer service and how quickly they return your scope WHEN it fails.

I have pushed to failure a few Leupolds and have observed several more die in service.  Everything fails, but my experience (and experienced vary) is that Leupolds fail more often than do other makes.  Granted, rifles I use get bumped and dropped and drug through brush and over rocks, and that is not where Leupold scopes thrive.  Where they thrive is on rifles that are shot seldom, are handled with care, and are called upon to function in relatively nice conditions.

I never doubt an owner who says they have never been disappointed in a Leupold scope; however, I immediately know how they treat their gear.  Some environments and circumstances dictate that gear must be handled roughly, and those who operate in that world seldom carry a Leupold (by choice, at least.)  Admittedly, I am addressing tactical scopes more than traditional hunting scopes, but I see less of a distinction between the 2 with each passing year.

Opinions vary, and I graciously seek differing points of view and experiences; but I don't carry Leupold due to my experiences and first-hand observations of others' experiences.
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 10:55
Me not being anywhere as knowledgeable as the last two posts here. It seems to me no two eyes are the same? Not everyone hunts in low light? Not everyone hunts from a stand and/or a fixed point? Eye relief is a relative thing? Price matters to some? And so on.

Just a guess.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2014 at 11:12
No 2 eyes are the same (not even the 2 in the same head), not every hunter hunts in low light, not everyone hunts from fixed positions, eye relief is not relative, price matters to most (if not all); AND there are great scopes that are also inexpensive, one does not have to handle a scope roughly for the scope to fail, and every mechanical device can fail - and, over a long enough timeline, WILL fail.

All good guesses, osprey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic