OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pre 64

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre 64
    Posted: December/07/2014 at 19:41
After shooting it a bit I really like the feel. I'm looking to put a suitable scope on, I suppose I will be hunting mule deer with it. A gloss scope would look the best, something traditional looking. Since I will be hunting mule deer a low light scope will not be at all needed.

Suggestions?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 01:23
There are not that many gloss scopes out there and most of the decent ones are Leupold.  Get either 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 VX-3 and call it a day.

ILya
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 16:48
Will do, thanks.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 19:19
What is your pre-64 chambered for ?
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 19:32
30-06
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 20:45
Originally posted by osprey osprey wrote:

30-06

The perfect caliber in a great rifle. Good job.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 07:59
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

There are not that many gloss scopes out there and most of the decent ones are Leupold.  Get either 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 VX-3 and call it a day.

ILya
I had the 2.5-8x36 on a custom 30-06 and never regretted it.  Perfect match for that rifle.  However, I sold it becasue it was "too pretty" to hunt with…  One of the few Leupold scopes I was ever happy with.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 09:17
I got a gloss Leupold 2.5-8 for my dads 300 savage.  It looks great and it is a good scope optically. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 11:05
Get the 3.5-10 Leupold for that set-up as it has a longer scope tube which will give you more latitude for eye relief when you are mounting the scope and need to move it back and forth to fit you correctly. On long action rifles using the 2.5-8, it can get tight as far as being able to move the scope back and forth and you might even need extended or reversible mounts to get the scope in the right position for eye relief.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 12:33
What Roy said.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic