OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

binoculars for big heads with IPD of 80mm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: binoculars for big heads with IPD of 80mm?
    Posted: December/04/2014 at 16:30
Let me start off my saying that I probably have a big head.  I've always had problem finding the motorcycle helmets that fit me comfortably.  

I recently started looking for a pair of decent binoculars.The search has led me nowhere.  My budget is around $400 or less.   Power in the 8x42 to 10x50 range.

I've found a couple of Nikon Monarchs that were very nice, but I could never see clearly through them without moving my head left and right.  The salesman at the camera shop thought I was being a difficult, until the manager overheard us and came over with a ruler.  She measured my IPD.  It never occurred to me that binocular manufacturers don't always make binoculars to fit the entire human population.  She said the distance between the centers of my pupils was just a hair short of 80mm.   The only pair of binoculars in the store could go that wide was a huge 20x70.     The Nikon Monarch's spec was max 72mm IPD.   :(

This morning, I was getting an eye exam for some new contacts.   I asked the ophthalmologist what my
IPD was.  He asked me why I wanted to know, so I told him about my binocular story.  He measured me again and the result was 80.5mm. He said I probably fit the top 1 or 2 percentile of the male population.

Okay.. so I have a medically-certified big head with eyes wide far apart.  Now what?   Can someone 
recommend a pair of binoculars under $400 that will fit my big head?  :)

Thanks in advance for all replies! 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2014 at 18:16
If you can find a used Captain's Storm King Porro prism binocular on the internet it has a 
maximum IPD of 81mm. However the eye relief is too short for use with eyeglasses.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2014 at 18:44
Get a couple of spotting scopes and get a custom mount for them. There are people that make custom mounts like that. Maybe a pair of 50's would work.

Please don't think I'm trying to be funny I recently got jumped for trying to be helpful!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2014 at 22:41
1. With a budget of $400 or less, two spotting scopes & a specialized mount, for collimation, are not likely
to fit the bill.

2. Spotting scopes cannot be worn around the neck or hand held.

3. The OP is looking for a binocular not a tripod mounted instrument.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2014 at 04:48
I did understand that BW.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2014 at 10:03
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2014 at 10:05

" Why doesn't he just get a smaller head? "  

Visit the Ed Show
MyBigHead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2014 at 15:05
Originally posted by <div>Son of Ed
Son of Ed wrote:

" Why doesn't he just get a smaller head? "  

Head size reduction surgery? Whacko

Or head transplant? Loco

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2014 at 15:13
I just had eyelid reduction surgery [ upper eyelid ptosis] it was ugly for a few days.

MyBigHead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2014 at 05:00
I'm confused...  I tried a pair of Canon 15x50 image-stabilized binoculars at a store yesterday.
They look perfect to me.  However, Canon's spec shows max IPD of 76mm only.   

If my IPD is 80.5mm, how did I see through the Canon?
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 04:53
Was your head in a vice?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by MyBigHead MyBigHead wrote:

I'm confused...  I tried a pair of Canon 15x50 image-stabilized binoculars at a store yesterday.
They look perfect to me.  However, Canon's spec shows max IPD of 76mm only.   

If my IPD is 80.5mm, how did I see through the Canon?
The mysteries of the optics universe are not always disclosed to us as consumers.
The same can be said of the mysteries of the human body.

If you find a binocular that works well for you get the most enjoyment out of it that you possibly can. Wink

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/08/2014 at 18:06
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2014 at 19:34
Howdy MyBigHead,
Welcome to the forum.
Minox BL 8-44 HD are a bit above your price range at just under $500, but offer a full 80mm IPD.
They are very good and perform above their pay grade, IMO.

Several binos come close to your size, with 75-77mm IPD and are generally within your price range.  This category includes two Hawke pairs @75mm, the Frontier ED 8x43 and the Sapphire ED 8x42, the Vanguard Spirit ED 8x42 @77mm, The Vanguard Endevour ED 10x42 @75mm.
Vanguard also makes an inexpensive compact 10x25 ORROS @75mm.

There are doubtless other models out there, as well.
I hope you can find enough dealers nearby to find something that works well for you. If you were near SWFA, I think they carry all the models mentioned.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2014 at 23:46
I've been shopping for a pair of 8x32 or 8x42 hunting binos the past 2 wks (haven't bought binos in 30 yrs) and have come to the conclusion I'm plagued with the same issue -- my eyes seem to be set too wide for most binos that I pick up.  My suggestion is to go to a Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, or similar store and figure out what works for you via trial and error.  I've found that Cabela's Euro HD 8x32 works well (which suggests the Meopta 8x32 would as well) as does the Swaro 8x30 CL and 8x42 EL.  So far I've crossed Leupold and Vortex binos off my list, as both brands are too narrow.  I don't have a Swaro budget, but am thinking I can probably swing a Meopta Meostar B1 in 8x32 or 8x42.  (The Meopta made binos actually had a little more width than I needed, while the Swaro's were fine when stretched as wide as they would go...)  Good luck.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 16:12
( I once knew a guy who couldn't button his top button on the neck of his shirt....and he couldn't button the cuffs together...he was too big....)   Light It Up

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic