OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS actual eyes on opinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS actual eyes on opinion
    Posted: November/29/2014 at 08:00
Not to long ago I bought and returned a SWFA straight 6. When I got it there was a noticable "fish eye" look. It was very noticable on straight edges at distances and when I moved the FOV around. Called SWFA adjusted diopter per the instructions they had me print. Anyway sent it back and no fault found. So now they have a deal on the 3-15 and I can get a a FFP Vortex PST 6x24 for a $200 hundred more, through tomorrow only. I dont want to waste time and money if the SS series has fish eye look normally. I have only seen this on super cheap binocs, and the wife confirmed seeing the same thing.

Can anyone confirm SS scope look this way, besides people not wanting to pay return shipping?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 10:55
Neither of my two 3-15s show any "fish eye". And both are better optically than the Vortex pst's I have looked through. (And my buddy who owns them, agrees with me). The vortex scopes are a great value, but the SS is truly exceptional.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
subharmonic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 14:37
Bill, thanks for the reply. Nice that you have looked through both. Can someone else second this? I am a little gun shy from buying again through these guys. I guess worst case I will be out $35 in shipping, round trip.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 15:41
I am leaning towards giving SWFA a second shot. Anyone know why is the SS 3-9 variable listed under HD but no mention of it in the description? Anyone have an opinion 3-9 vs 3-15?

A little more info my rifle is a 270 Wby mag. Mainly a deer/speed goat/coyote gun but I am looking for a future of long range shooting for fun, upto 1k. I looking to only have this as my only centerfire rifle. My hunting is in the open plains and badlands of N. Dakota.

I am new to this. Thanks for your time, observations, and opinions.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2014 at 00:13
Never seen what you are talking about nor have I even heard of anyone with the problem you are talking about with any of the SS scopes. Not trying to be difficult, but what were you doing when you noticed the fish eye?

Here are some reviews of the 3-15 SS by some individuals who have "actual eyes on".

http://www.opticstalk.com/review-swfa-ss-315x42-at-13-sniper-challenge_topic38917.html

http://www.opticstalk.com/supersniper-315-review_topic38574.html

You could also do a search for reviews from other sites as well.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2014 at 09:48
No problem at all. I am trying to get to the bottom of this. All I know is I looked through Prostaffs, Vortex diamonbacks, bushnells, and Monarchs at ranges. In stores I have looked through a bunch of others high and low end and had never seen it before. All the other scopes have a flat view through them. That is why I am so perplexed, I talked with tech support at SWFA told him I didn't agree that there was no issue found and he even said he would set the scope a side to look but my shipping was never refunded for a defective unit as they said it would be.

Anyway, I looked at blue sky to set the diopter. Then when I looked through the scope at things: trees, houses, streets, signs. At all different distances (maybe 600 m max) and focus settings. The edges of the FOV scope would bleed off for lack of a better term, center was nice but when moving the all the edges of the scope "run into view". It was only at the edges but super distracting unless not moving the scope at all. My $10 menards special binoculars have a similar effect but the full FOV has optical issues.

I have read a ton of reviews on SWFA (scope awesomeness and customer service). Also a shout out to Tibasaurus Rex's youtube sniper 101 series for turning me onto SWFA. Between all that and you fine folks on the forum I am back here trying to find out the truth and get a nice scope for my new hobby.

The other review that has me perplexed is:
http://www.snipercentral.com/swfa39ss.phtml
Here they say it is not HD glass in the 3x9 but Skylar is attached to posts here saying it is, also it is in the HD section but not mentioned in the description, price wise I doubt it is. Full blown yes or no would be nice on the description would be nice considering the amount of confusion I found. Also a better description to match the other scopes would be cool. From my understanding they are made in the HD factory.

I just don't want to get burned again. The whole last situation cost me a month and a half between back orders and waiting for them to find no issue. All the good customer service I got was eclipsed by the issue with the scope, them saying there was no issue, and the lack of putting backorder notifications up front instead of after the accesories were shipped but scope wasn't for 3 weeks.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to explain my trigger shyness on this. Today is the last day for the PST with the reticle I want.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2014 at 20:50

"subharmonic"

It really doesn't matter who has or hasn't had a problem like yours. The bottom line here is you are unhappy with a product & service you got, and it sounds like you had a solid reason. Your the one that has to look through that glass, your opinion is really the only one that counts. There are a lot of great optics out there, and even more places that sell them.  

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2014 at 22:15
Skytrash, thanks for the clarity on that. I am very much leaning towards both were flukes but would be seriously upset if everything happened again.

The more I am thinking about it the more I am thinking there must have been a masking shoud or similar missing.

My bottom line is was it broken or not.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2014 at 05:43
Sub, I had an SS 1-4x FFP. I really liked the scope, but I found head position to be super critical to maintain sight picture. 
Meaning, when I was looking through the scope, if I moved my head side to side, or up and down, the sight picture would "black out". Funnier still, I sold it to a guy and he loves it. Hasn't experienced that at all. Other folks here had the same scope and didn't have the same issue either. 

So, did I have the scope set up improperly, or are my eyes funky, or was the scope weird?? Don't know. 

Welcome to OT and I hope you get what your looking for.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
malinoisrock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malinoisrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2014 at 17:20
"Anyone have an opinion 3-9 vs 3-15?"
As you asked this specific question I will reply although there are many much more knowledgeable than me. I own both these scopes.  I prefer the better glass on the SS3x9 over the higher mag of the 3x15.  I just dont think there is a better scope out their for the $ than the SS3x9.  It really apples and oranges.  The mil quad reticle really works best in the 5x20 magnification range for me, where I use it as designed and prefer it to a mil dot.  Most will laugh at this but all my SS3x9s are zeroed on the top point 6 mils up from center.  I use the edges of the thick part of the point to hold off for wind up to a half mil and dial after that.  Im quite fond of using the 3x9 this way at all of the powers including 3x.  In the 3x15 class i would spend the extra money and go with a weaver tactical if you like good glass.   Of course then you are only one step away from the superb SS 5x20 HD.The mil dot reticle is more usable to my eye at 3x when used conventionally than the mil quad but my eyes are old.  The sweet spot using the mil quad reticle for me 5x and up which is why I consider the 5x20 perfect for it. My understanding is the ss3x9s are not speced as HD glass but they are HD. They wont call them HD because they are not speced as such.  I cant imagine better glass.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2014 at 18:03
Welcome. Good comments, Malrocks. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2014 at 21:20
Again thanks for the replies. 

I was at my local Scheels and found the Leupold VX3 3.5- something had the same imperfections around the edges.....so maybe that is normal and I am sensitive to them. 

Anyway I am leaning towards the Vortex PST or HS LR in the 4x16. In the store they were much better than the 6x24 in glass and eye. The HS can be had for a decent price and come in MOA. 

Again thanks for the help. 
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2014 at 02:57
Originally posted by subharmonic subharmonic wrote:

Again thanks for the replies. 

I was at my local Scheels and found the Leupold VX3 3.5- something had the same imperfections around the edges.....so maybe that is normal and I am sensitive to them. 

Anyway I am leaning towards the Vortex PST or HS LR in the 4x16. In the store they were much better than the 6x24 in glass and eye. The HS can be had for a decent price and come in MOA. 

Again thanks for the help. 

I would not call it an imperfection, but the nature of the beast. When you clarified what you were seeing I can say that I see it on much more expensive scopes as well. When you said fish eye I think of the fish eye lenses on a camera.

Here is a link to a review of the Vortex PST 4-16. So you can compare it to the reviews on the SS 3-15. There are also reviews on the SS 3-9 in the member review section as well. Just do a search for them.

http://www.opticstalk.com/vortex-viper-pst-416x50-ffp-initial-impressions_topic24041.html
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2014 at 21:47
I found this interesting:

"I didn't have a SS10HD to compare it to but I did have a SS3-9.  The glass looks pretty good on the lower powers; powered down to 9X it looks pretty close to the SS glass."

Anyway after much thought, some more thought. Reading...a little more reading. Price comparisons, the lack of regular SWFA sales...I ordered a SS 3-9 before the $450 sale ran out. Figuring I can eat shipping .....again.... if it is not everything I think it should be, another $30 round trip vs $300 in savings if it works.

At the end of the day if there is not an "issue" with the edges running, then so be it. I thought I had a bunk scope and described the issue verbally to the support tech and he thought it sounded like an issue. Deer season has come and gone so I have time this time around, although coyotes are a plentiful. 

Call me Loco but second, or third chances are worth it....sometimes. 
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2014 at 18:28
Work an extra five minutes in the Bakken and there's your return postage.....or buy an old Weaver...Big Smile

Visit the Ed Show
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 09:41
Actually this week and last week I am working in "the patch" as they call it. Normally I only get the spillover benefiets to our community. We will see what the SS3x9 has to show as it should be in when I get back to Mandan.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2014 at 13:12
Originally posted by subharmonic subharmonic wrote:

Actually this week and last week I am working in "the patch" as they call it. Normally I only get the spillover benefiets to our community. We will see what the SS3x9 has to show as it should be in when I get back to Mandan.
I'm pleased with my SS 3-9 Mildot and have put it through it's paces on multiple rifles and in many conditions. It's a keeper. I've never shot at anything at such great range that I've run out of elevation.
I've never noticed what you seemed to describe as a 'rolling ball effect" with your straight 6, which is a more common phenomenon with binoculars. The only thing I could even begin to complain about the 3x9 is the tunnel effect below about 3.9 power, but it is not any kind of a problem. This effect is a design trade- off and is quite common. Several of my scopes, including a 2.5-10 Swarovski, perform the same way.
What do I mean by tunnel effect? When the magnification is turned down, at some point, the edges of the visible image seem to shrink a bit toward the center of the scope and a black ring becomes visible around the perimeter of the image. Optics design and implementation is an exercise in trade- offs. To increase this, you have to diminish that.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subharmonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2014 at 22:53
Righto. My SS3x9 came in, no issue as described above. Looks clean and clear. No bleeding/running edges. I am hitting the field tomorrow for some upland so I will look through it a little more before I mount it. So far so good. I will check back later if anyone is following/wants a noob opinion. I may bring it into Scheels for a side by side with a PST 4-6 and 2.5 x 10 just for a final comparison. Hopefully a guy I know is working then. They may let me bring it outside the front door.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 03:52
Sure. Talking about optics is what we do. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic