OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 1-4x24 scopes UNDER $600

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 1-4x24 scopes UNDER $600
    Posted: November/24/2014 at 17:42

I am looking for a decent, low-cost scope for my 300 AAC SBR (9.75") and I'd like to go with the 1-4x24 optical format. However, I am stuck right now between a few scopes

The SWFA Super Sniper Classic 1-4x24   ~ $299  (as of 11/28)

The Burris MTAC 1-4x24   ~ $350

The Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24   ~ $499

The rifle has no dedicated purpose, I will use for hunting, plinking...may even try my hand at 3-gun. I will be shooting mostly subsonic (suppressed), but will shoot supersonic from time to time as well. Most targets within 100 yards, and probably not a whole lot of low-light shooting...but would like a scope that will perform adequately up to 250 (because I'm a wishful thinker!!). The one thing I am concerned about is fogging, as it does get a bit chilly this time of year in North Texas. Will I have to choose an Argon gas scope (like the Vortex Viper Series), or will the Nitrogen scopes resist fogging just as well??

I fully realize you get what you pay for (I usually buy-once-cry once), but the addition of the Gemtech Sandstorm has already maxed my budget on this rifle. If it would make a significant difference, I'd be willing to consider slightly more expensive scopes (like the Leupold VX-R Patrol FireDot). However, I'd really like to keep it UNDER $600.

I'm sure that SWFA is going to be a VERY popular choice on THIS forum, but I'd like to know if there are any other recommendations.

I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six!!
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 17:58

I am not sure about which scope to get as this is not a size I am interested

in.  The one thing you mentioned is Argon or Nitrogen, do not let that make

any difference in which scope you choose.  The argon thing is just a marketing

gimmick, as to any advantage.  They are equal in a properly made scope.

Flight Medic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 23:40
Good to know. Thanks.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 12:19
All in all, you statement about getting what you pay for is accurate. With optics there is always a trade off.

Unfortunately I have yet to see our new 1-4, but I have high expectations for it, because it is based off the original chassis that has proven itself time and time again on larger caliber weapon platforms.  So, needless to say, I'm enthused with the new addition to the SS family and I have no reservations that it won't be outstanding.

With regards to the others that you have selected, I have looked through them on a number of various occasions and they are very appealing. However the MTAC is one that I wasn't overly enthused about and the reason was because of the reticle.

For one hundred yards and in, I feel the reticle is very useable. But anything beyond that, I personally feel the reticle covers up target surface area. Which may be problematic for you with how you intend to use it.  Now if it was like the older XTR's with the ballistic reticle I would think the decision would be much more difficult to make.

There is one other, I would entertain though. It's from Leatherwood. Have you looked at the CMR? It's actually one of our more popular 1-4's available and they work very well.
Flight Medic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 12:49
 I've decided to go with the SWFA HD 1-4x24 because I really like FFP reticles....and thanks to the SWFA Black Friday deals, it will now be within my budget.

Thanks for the replies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic