OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 1-4x24 Illuminated Mil-Quad DM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 1-4x24 Illuminated Mil-Quad DM
    Posted: November/17/2014 at 09:38

• Utilizing the Illuminated Mil-Quad DM reticle in the second focal plane gives you better target acquisition in CQB scenarios while maintaining its ability to range and provide aiming points at max power.
  • The new Illuminated Mil-Quad DM Reticle has built in aiming points for 100, 200, and 300 yards for most 5.56 and 7.62 rounds.  
  • It utilizes a Mil based reticle and has the ability to provide the shooter with accurate target distances utilizing the built in target ranging references. The ranging references can be used to range various objects in various sizes. You can range anything 72", 36", or 24" tall as well as any object 18" wide. This gives you the ability to range objects such as human silhouettes, IPSC silhouettes, deer, hogs or even coyotes.
  • The exposed knobs have .1 Mil Adjustments per click and 5 Mils per revolution.
  • The power ring comes threaded for 3 different size throw levers, 5mm, 10mm and 15mm all of which are included. These give you the ability to rapidly zoom in and out and are customizable to fit each shooters preference. 
  • When you're looking for a scope that can accommodate all of your needs in a single unit NOTHING COMES CLOSE.

Specs
Exit Pupil:                               6mm - 10.5mm
Weight:                                  14.1 oz
Length:                                   10.2"
Field of View @ 100yds:            24.8 - 99.9 ft 
Eye Relief (in):                         
5.0 - 3.1 
Diopter Compensation:              
-2 ~ +1 dpr
Click Adjustment Value:             0.1 MRAD
Adjustment Per Revoultion:        5 Mils
Total Elevation Adjustment:       55 Mils

Total Windage Adjustment:        55 Mils

Type of Reticle:                        Illuminated Mil-Quad DM
Focal Plane:                             2nd
Coating:                                  Fully Multi Coated
Waterproof:                              Yes
Fogproof:                                 Yes
Shockproof:                              Yes

SWFA SS 1-4x24 SFP with Subtensions (Click to Zoom): 

SWFA SS 1-4x24 SFP (Click to Zoom):

100, 200, and 300 Yard Aiming Points 
When zeroed at 200 yards this reticle offers accurate 100 yard, 200 yard, and 300 yard aiming points for most 5.56 and 7.62 rounds. Utilize the center dot for your 200 yard zero. The top of the diamond offers a 100 yard aiming point and the bottom of the diamond offers a 300 yard aiming point.  

The rounds this reticle were designed to be used with are M852, M80, M118LR, M193, and M855.

The actual point of impact vs. point of aim:

M852      7.62 168 Grain @ 2600 FPS .35 Mils Low @ 100 yards, Zero 200 yards, .05 Mils High at 300 yards 
M80        7.62 147 Grain @ 2850 FPS .45 Mils Low @ 100 yards, Zero 200 yards, .15 Mils High at 300 yards 
M118LR  7.62 175 Grain @ 2600 FPS .35 Mils Low @ 100 yards, Zero 200 yards, .05 Mils High at 300 yards 
M193      5.56   55 Grain @ 3100 FPS .55 Mils Low @ 100 yards, Zero 200 yards, .15 Mils High at 300 yards 
M855      5.56   62 Grain @ 3000 FPS .55 Mils Low @ 100 yards, Zero 200 yards, .15 Mils High at 300 yards 

Target Ranging References 
All of the target ranging references are calibrated for 72" height as well as 18" width.

To use it for 36" tall targets simply divide your range shown on the reticle by 2 and for 24" tall targets divide by 3. Examples are listed below.

The target below is a 72" tall silhouette of a human. Considering it is 72" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 800 yard target ranging indicator this target is 800 yards away. 

The target below is a 72" tall silhouette of a human. Considering it is 72" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 200 yard target ranging indicator this target is 200 yards away.

The target below is a 18" wide silhouette of a human. Considering it is 18" wide and fits just on top of our 200 yard target ranging indicator this target is 200 yards away. 

The target below is a 18" wide silhouette. Considering it is 18" wide and fits just on top of our 200 yard target ranging indicator this target is 200 yards away.

The target below is a 36" shoulder height silhouette of a deer. Considering it is 36" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 400 yard target ranging indicator this target is 200 yards away. It is 200 yards away and not 400 yards because we are using a target that is half the height of what the target ranging references are calibrated for, so we have to divide the given range by 2.  

The target below is a 36" shoulder height silhouette of a deer. Considering it is 36" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 800 yard target ranging indicator this target is 400 yards away. It is 400 yards away and not 800 yards because we are using a target that is half the height of what the target ranging references are calibrated for, so we have to divide the given range by 2.

The target below is a 24" shoulder height silhouette of a hog. Considering it is 24" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 300 yard target ranging indicator this target is 100 yards away. It is 100 yards away and not 300 yards because we are using a target that is one third the height of what the target ranging reference is calibrated for, so we have to divide the given range by 3.

Edited by Chris Farris - November/15/2018 at 15:30
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 10:14
YippeeExcellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 10:27
Very cool!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 11:34
I like it... bears some similarities to some other scopes I have, but this is a highly functional application. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 13:00
That's a great addition to the product line. The accompanying ranging diagrams help show the utility. I've found with other 1-4s and 1-6s that I either wanted to be at 1 or the highest setting so making it SFP makes sense. The price is fantastic.
Reaction time is a factor...
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 13:48
Call
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 15:37
I spent about a week playing with this scope and I will do a more thorough test once they have a batch of these come in.  The scope I had was, I believe, a fully finished design, not a prototype of some sort.

Overall, I liked it a lot.  I will have a proper article on it up shortly, but in the meantime, I canfield most questions I suppose.

In terms of price and performance this scopes goes after the same crowd that is looking at Vortex PST 1-4x24 and Leatherd CMR4 1-4x24.

I had the CMR4 on hand, so I looked at them side by side and also next to a few other scopes I happened to have lying around.

Here is the brief summary: 
-optically I expect it to be about as good as you will find in the sub$500 range.  It was better than the CMR4 which is no slouch by itself.
-I looked at it both in good light and low light found no major issues: flare is well controlled, resolution and contrast are both quite good.  Contrast is where it had the most edge over the CMR4.  There is a black ring around the image.  It is not hug, but it is noticeable.  In actual use I did not find it particularly noticeable though.
-Reticle illumination has a good range.  It is not quite bright enough for the brightest light conditions, but plenty good enough for everything else.
-I did not spend a whole lot of time working out the turrets.  I made a few adjustment and they seemed to track fine.  The turrets are of a low profile exposed design, but honestly, on scopes of this type I do not use the turrets much.
-The reticle itself I liked a lot.  Really a lot.  I had the scope sitting on my 6.5Grendel and after shooting some obligatory groups I started shooting at the metal plates out to 500 yards. The reticle is exceptionally good for shooting at objects.  Shooting groups took some focus, but shooting at silhouettes was very natural.  I did not really miss anything I shot at within 500 yards, which is pretty good for me shooting a scope that tops out at 4x.  For the load I was shooting, the outer top vertice of the diamond was dead on at 100 yards, which made the inner top vertice dead on at 50 and 150 yards.  The center dot was just right at 35 and 220 yards.  The inner bottom vertice was dead on 285 yards and the outer bottom vertice at 300 yards.  For 400 and 500 yards I used the mil scale that is underneath the diamond, which was less fast, but worked fine.
-This scope is just about the lightest design of its type at around 14 ounces, which I liked a lot.  The eyereleif is long and forgiving.

Once I get my hands on it again, I plan to put it on my 458SOCOM and see how it does.  The reticle should be perfect for the SOCOM with a 150yard zero.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 16:24
Fantastic. Thank u swfa.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 16:30
And we have to wait until the 28TH?!?!?!?   ARGH! 
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 17:56
Very nice write up Chris, can tell a great deal of work went into this. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 18:47
how many are you getting?  Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 19:49
I'll be picking up at least 1 right now I'm sure
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 07:26
yeah me too but it is going to play hell with my Xmas budget.... Bucky
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 07:27
My finances are in obamashambles.... Whacko
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 09:59
I really wish they had a 1-8 with that reticle and superior glass...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 12:57
55 Mils of adjustment.  Yippee  That is crazy.  This will be awesome for a 300 blk
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 13:26
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I really wish they had a 1-8 with that reticle and superior glass...

Well dorothy keep clicking those heels and maybe it will happen!!!

That would be a must have sciope for sure!
--Thomas Jefferson

SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 14:11
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

My finances are in obamashambles.... Whacko

If that is the case you should order 10 of these and ask them to send the bill to someone else!Wink
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 20:10
LOL, unfortunately that only works for them....we go to jail!
--Thomas Jefferson

637mase View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 637mase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 20:34
This is great news, although I'll have to wait till the new year and miss out on the intro pricing. Holiday 

budget is so tight it creates a vacuum. Thanks to all at SWFA for great products and outstanding service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic