OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie needs info about binocular purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie needs info about binocular purchase
    Posted: November/14/2014 at 18:40
We picked up a pair of old-style binoculars today at an estate sale and  they are amazing.  Better than anything we've ever looked through.

This is where I need your help....
 There is no name on them - 7x50 is engraved on the right side, as well as a model # (or serial #?) and "Field 7.1". On the left side there is a funny-looking "logo" - a large U and inside the U are two C's = one inside the other and Coated Optics.

The case is nothing much - actually kinda cheap so doubt they're much but would appreciate some direction.  Thanks so much.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2014 at 23:34
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Vicki View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 08:31
Thanks, Bird Watcher.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 09:03
Any time. Smile
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2014 at 09:18
Questions like this one require photos.  On this site or any other site.  Photos, photos please Big Smile.

What you need is photos of both prism plates at the eye piece end of the binocular.  A really good clear photo of the objective end of the hinge.  If this is a Japanese made binocular, and I have a feeling it is, there will be either one or the other or both of the J-L codes this will show as either a J-B## or a J-E ##.  The maker of the binocular can be identified from these code numbers.  The binocular may well not be marked with the makers name.  Many were made by x and sold as brand y.  Also show photos of the prism plate covers at the objective end of the binocular.  Be sure to include photos with enough clarity to show markings and numbers.

Some will always be a mystery, but many can be, if not completely identified, at least partly so.  I would also caution against thinking you may have something valuable, probably not, which it sounds like you have figured out.  Sounds like one of the many, often very good optically, standard field 7x50,  dime a dozen example of many assorted branded Japanese made binoculars from the days of the Japan Telescopes Inspection Institute.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Vicki View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2014 at 09:25
Thanks, Steve.  I believe you're probably right.  We've used many a pair of Bushnells and they don't compare to these.

My photography skills are lacking but I'll see what I can do.  I posted to Cloudynights.com and I'm sure they're going to ask for photos as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic