OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6.8 spc scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.8 spc scope
    Posted: November/11/2014 at 12:53
Looking for a scope for an ar.
The rifle already weighs in at a bit over 5pounds so I am not looking to ad significantly to its heft. Also, something with dials as I am not at all a fan of hold-overs.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 13:10
Budget?
Target?
Approximate ranges?
other than target turrets, anything else?  Illumination?  Christmas tree reticle?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 13:21
Probably 300 and under yards. No Christmas tree hold-over please. Up to around 1000$ but less would be absolutely fine.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 13:50
5 pounds is a very light AR.

I am not sure if dialing for shooting within 300 yards, is all that warranted, but different strokes for different folks.

The lightest weight appropriate variable scope I can think of is Leupold VX-R Patrol:

Personally, I run the Elcam Spectre OS 4x32 on my lightweight AR and I am quite happy with it, but I do not think it is optimal for dialing elevation:

ILya
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 14:12
I just want to use a range finder and simply turn a dial to the appropriate range.

I want to avoid range time necessary with an hold-over scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 14:26
Originally posted by osprey osprey wrote:

I just want to use a range finder and simply turn a dial to the appropriate range.

Well, to save "time" you may want to consider a Mil Dot. If your zapping your target with a laser, dialing it in, your basically exerting the same amount of time, (probably more), than you would to run a hold over reticle, unless I misunderstood your intent. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 14:26

I do not think I fully understand.  How is that simpler than figuring out the range and using an appropriate holdover mark?

Either way, with a typical 6.8SPC load, a 100 yard zero gives you just about exactly 0.5mrad adjustment for 200 yards, 1mrad for 250 yards and 1.5mrad for 300 yards.

You can use either the turrets or the reticle with equal ease.  Personally, within 500 yards I prefer to use the reticle.

ILya 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 14:39
WHOA....The Dark Lord and I sorta agree on something! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 15:00
I guess what I was thinking. Getting the scope bore sighted then going out and zeroing at 100 yards. Then just ranging and dialing accordingly. Therefore having just a simple duplex reticle to make it simple as possible?

osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 16:54
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40812.aspx

I am thinking this w/dials from reviews I have read. Or is it overkill or just not right?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 16:55
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

WHOA....The Dark Lord and I sorta agree on something! 

Don't let it go to your head...
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 16:58
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-Mark-AR-MOD-1-Riflescope-P60891.aspx

Maybe this is more appropriate/practical??
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:12
I would get the 3-9x vrx partol. That would do everything u want and it is a good scope, i really like mine
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:15

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40812.aspx

I am thinking this w/dials from reviews I have read. Or is it overkill or just not right?

It is a nice scope and will work well for you, except the turrets on it are not designed to be dialed back and forth all the time.  

Scopes that are designed to be dialed usually have tactile exposed turrets.

All that having been said, the "keep it simple" approach is to not mess with the turrets if you do not have to.  I do not think I know anyone who thinks that dialing is the simpler approach for comparatively short distances like 300 yards or so.

There are plenty of scopes out there with very simple holdover reticles that you can set up once and then use.

If you like the Swarovski, you do not need dials.  The top of the thick post is 0.96mrad down from the center at 9x, so you can use that.

All that having been said, if you are looking for the absolute simplest approach, you should be going with a front focal plane or fixed power scope.  That way, you do not have to worry what powe the scope is on.

Something like the Leupold 6x42 with the LR duplex is probably the most foolproof way to go.

ILya

osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would get the 3-9x vrx partol. That would do everything u want and it is a good scope, i really like mine

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-Patrol-30mm-Riflescope-P49445.aspx

??
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:18

This would be a good scope if it was a $100 cheaper.  It is a pretty archaic design with new turrets slapped on.  I played with a couple of samples and both needed the turret box slapped after adjustment to settle in.

ILya
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:19
6x at 300yards give or take??
A little weak??
osprey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osprey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:23
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

This would be a good scope if it was a $100 cheaper.  It is a pretty archaic design with new turrets slapped on.  I played with a couple of samples and both needed the turret box slapped after adjustment to settle in.

ILya

By slapped??
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:26

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

By slapped??

Exactly, what it sounds like.

A lot of older designs did not settle after adjustment until you fired a shot or slapped the turret box with a rubber mallet or something along those lines.  

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 17:27

6x at 300yards give or take??
A little weak??

That depends on what you are shooting at.

It is plenty for anything this side of varminting.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic