OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zeiss Conquest still the best 3x9 for under $500
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest still the best 3x9 for under $500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest still the best 3x9 for under $500
    Posted: November/04/2014 at 16:55
When I was looking to purchasie a hunting scope a couple years ago everyone recommended the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm. Is this still the case or is there a better 3-9x40mm for hunting? Thanks!!

Going on a Remington model seven 260 :D      
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 17:20
It's certainly a very good scope and a great value, given its quality.

However, it isn't manufactured anymore, so any Conquest 3-9X40 you're likely to find for sale is either going to be old stock or used. The Terra series has replaced the Conquest series. IMO, the Terra series is a definite step down from the Conquests. The next step up from the Terra Scopes is the Conquest HD5, which is a fine scope, but is considerably more expensive than the old Conquests of the same top end magnification. However, the HD5 scopes have 5:1 zoom ratio, the old Conquest and the new Terras 3:1 zoom.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 17:59
Is there a better 40mm hunting scope than the Conquest less thn $500? I have access to a new (old stock) 3-9x40mm Zeiss Conquest.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 18:30
I would grab it with both hands.
Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 19:15
Originally posted by cropslx cropslx wrote:

Is there a better 40mm hunting scope than the Conquest less thn $500? I have access to a new (old stock) 3-9x40mm Zeiss Conquest.

IMO, I don't think so, but then it all depends on what aspect of a scope's performance is most important to you. Optically, it's pretty much as good as scopes get in that price bracket. The Meopta Meopro 3-9X42 is a $500ish scope, and it's as good and some may argue better than the 3-9 Conquest optically, but I believe they're a wash. 

There really is no "better" or "best" unless you're comparing two items in entirely different price brackets, because what's best for one person isn't for another. It all depends on what's most important to you. 

The Leupold 3-9X40 VX-R is a $500 scope that isn't too far behind the Conquest optically, and it also has an illuminated reticle, so if reticle visibility in low light is a big priority for you, it's undoubtedly better in that regard. It's an excellent scope too, and everyone I know to who has one really loves theirs.

If length and weight is an important consideration to you, then he above scopes are long and somewhat heavy for 3-9X class scopes, so neither would be the "best" option there.

If you're the type of hunter who likes to dial in LR drop dope, the above scopes suck for that purpose, but they are really good "set and forget" scopes for the hunter who prefers to work within the MPBR of their chosen cartridge.

If someone really didn't like the Conquest's reticle options, or eye relief, or adjustments etc., then its optical performance may be irrelevant and therefore it wouldn't be the "best" for them. 

I have a 3-9 Conquest, and I personally really like it. If I were looking for a scope priced at $500 or under, it would be at the top of my list if I had access to one in new or like new condition.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 21:59
Another very good scope is the Minox 2-10x40 HD 5.Has a better eye box than the early conquest,glass is schotts & comes with a life time warrenty.Their CS is as good as it gets....................
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2014 at 17:17
id get the meopta 3-9 over the zeiss. ive had both and like the meopta better. zeiss eyebox was too finicky the meopta is much easier to get behind
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 00:21
Is the Meopta worth a $170 more?
jackofalltrades View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackofalltrades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 19:20
I don't understand why these post are saying Conquest are not made anymore. Zeiss still list them and this site still has them for sale, so are these just out of date scopes or are yall just talking about a specific size Conquest?
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 19:50

Originally posted by jackofalltrades jackofalltrades wrote:

I don't understand why these post are saying Conquest are not made anymore. Zeiss still list them and this site still has them for sale, so are these just out of date scopes or are yall just talking about a specific size Conquest?

Zeiss made the 3-9x40 Conquest for a number of years, and these are considered a high quality scope.

I just mounted one the other day, and waiting for the wind to drop to finish sighting it in.

This is the one the OP has mentioned.  They were made in Germany, and were priced right

and under $500. 

The ones you find now on the site here, are different.  The HD5 now has

replaced the Conquest, and the price has gone up considerably.  Zeiss has a new low priced

model the Terra, that is lesser than the original Conquest.  So they are just filling gaps.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 19:50
The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm has been discontinued, Friend. Heaven knows WHY, but it has. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 20:01

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm has been discontinued, Friend. Heaven knows WHY, but it has. 

I just mounted mine on a Ruger M77 RSI, savage 250-3000, just in case you were

wondering.  Very cold in the north, but I have time.  Deer numbers are down in

ND, but I have a gratis license.  Wink

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2014 at 05:49
Sounds good, ND. You don't see that cartridge around very often around my AO. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackofalltrades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2014 at 16:44
So just to make sure I completely understand, the 3x9x40 Conquest advertised on this site is not the scope yall are talking about being so good? I have a Conquest hd5 and like it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackofalltrades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 21:19
Alright guys I need some help. I went in a shop today and they had a few Conquest 3x9x50. I do not know if these are old scopes or what. They are in an original box and new, but that may be a new old for all I know. They were less than $450.00. Is there some way I can tell if these are the Conquest I would want? I don't care if its old but unused as long as its a high quality scope.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 21:34

That is the older Conquest series, and that is similar to the 3-9x40, that has been very well

respected.  If you can get one for that price, and that is the size you want, I would

consider that a good buy.  They are a high quality scope, and with that one, you would

have lots of low light gathering, and you would be set.

GWTX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 21:11
Where is that shop, and how many do they have???    :)
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2014 at 19:11
I have seen the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm for $330. I ended up buying a Meopta 3-9x42mm for around $355 delivered :D

That is insane that Zeiss stopped making the Conquest 3-9x40. They will lose money on the decision I believe!          
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic