OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Have a DDv7 Looking to get medium range scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayster37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have a DDv7 Looking to get medium range scope
    Posted: November/04/2014 at 07:17
I got an ACOG for really cheap somehow and was able to sell it for a good 300 profit locally.  I like the ACOG a lot but wasn't a huge fan of the red chevron that my particular model had -I'm not exactly certain what my philosophy of use will be with this gun.  

I'm basically thinking a 2.5-10x with perhaps a 45degree offset iron signs for QCB would give me a well rounded set up.  I found some nice Zeiss scopes, and they are great, but very costly which I am not totally opposed to but I just want to make sure I know what I want and will be happy with the end product.  Any idea or insight would be much appreciated.  So basically I want the flexibility to reach out 4-600 yard and hit small varmints and have the ability to react quickly to the 2 legged type predators up close.  
Jonathan Hunt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 07:46
What the heck is a DDv7?Bucky
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 08:09
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Daniel Defense AR
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 08:41
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Daniel Defense AR

OhStare

Carbine or rifle? Front sight, flat top, etc.?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Jayster37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayster37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 09:16
Daniel Defense V7 is a flat top mid length gas system 16" barrel "mil spec" AR..
Jonathan Hunt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 10:27
My fall back scope picks for a carbine would be something in a 1-6x like the Vortex Razor II with a Mil-dot reticle or the SWFA SS 1-6x. One is SFP and the other FFP.
For shooting small critters at 600yds you might want to look at the SWFA SS 3-15x42, the SS 5-20x50, or the Vortex Razor II 3-18x50, or the 4.5-27x56.
There are others of course, but going from a tactical requirement to a varmint scope is a tall order.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 13:23
I have an 18" DD that wears an SS3-9 with an offset Trijicon RMR.  It is dead nuts out to 500+ (which is, in my opinion, pushing the limits of my 75-gr round) and is quite adept at the up close shots too.

I also have a 16" 308 AR, it wears a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce, which I really, really like, but it is not inexpensive.

There are ACOGs with RMR's on top, they are quite nice and give you "best of both worlds" options, and are always on, which is a huge bonus in my estimation.

To help you narrow the options, it would help to know what you plan to shoot, what you can spend, and what the usual shot will be (no need to set the gun up for 600 yard shots if it will spend 90% of its time on the 100 yard line, or in the woods.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 14:20
Welcome to Optics Talk. These fellers here can get you squared away. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 17:42
I have an LWRC 16" IC SPR set up with a SWFA SS 3-9x mounted in a Burris QD Burris P. E. R. P. and a 45 degree offset narrowed Weaver rail mount with a Burris Fast Fire II.  It works well but if you are starting from scratch and using a scope with a belled objective you might want to consider a ring mount with 45 degree offset for better visual clearance of the objective bell and possibly quicker transition between the scope and red dot.  Another possible scope to consider is the newly released Burris Extreme II 1.5 - 8x but I have not seen any evaluations of the Extreme II models yet.  I really like my SWFA SS 3-9x and the optical quality is better than I expected.  I still may opt for a Burris 1.5-8x for something but not till I see some reviews.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Jayster37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayster37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 09:51
Thanks for all the input, truly.    I will be shooting in low light situations thats why I was leaning towards something like  Zeiss (plus I found a perfect condition Zeiss DIAVARI VM/V 2.5-10-50 T for $750.  I mostly hunt hogs here in Fla and Coyotes in MN in moonlight.

I know its unusual set up to have a tactical gun with a Zeiss type scope but I always feel I can move the Zeiss to a .270 or 30.06 or .308 when I do get one of those bolt action guns and in the mean time have a 45 degree offset rmr or diamond head 45 degree iron sights (which are just sweet looking).

I figue for $750 on a Zeiss DIAVARI VM/V 2.5-10-50 T I can't go wrong and if I want to sell it I can and probably make some money.. do you "jedi knight Optics Gods" agree ;)
Jonathan Hunt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 10:09
Thunbs Up
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 12:22
That is a good scope, assuming condition is good, that is a sweet deal.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic