OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lesser Known Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lesser Known Scopes
    Posted: July/12/2004 at 22:12

I am curious about some of the lesser known (at least stateside) scopes out there.  What experience has anyone had with Kaps optics?  I have only seen one, but it made quite an impression on me.  It appeared to be a very well made German scope of the highest caliber.  Meopta (Cz)?  I have seen where they now have a 1" line that appears to be very reasonably priced.  Nikko Sterling?  I get the impression that these guys are the Bushnell of the Pacific, some good hi-end and some very low-end.  And finally, what in the heck is this "Tactical Hunter" from Holland's Shooters Supply?  It has the look of a hi-end euro scope.  I have only seen pictures of it. 

ranburr  

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2004 at 10:13

I have heard good things about Nikko but have never heard of the other two.  Can you give us a link to them or some pics.?  Nikko sources from some of the same factories that the high end tasco came from and yes tasco did have some high end stuff at one time (Titan, Euroclass, Japan World Class Plus, etc.).

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2004 at 14:04

www.kaps-optik.de , they are apparently looking for U.S. retailers.  English conversion is in top left of header.  www.hollandguns.com , this certainly looks like a brand labeled euro.  What about the 1" meoptas?

ranburr

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 17:39
We just added Meopta but not too enthusiastically after our dealings with them in the past.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 21:59

Are the Meopta issues quality or business related? 

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 22:03

i would guess and say business.

cory

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2004 at 22:05

and that is just a guess, becuase ive been wrong A LOT today, lol.

cory

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 00:33
Ranburr,  I had never heard of Kaps before but I am sitting here looking at a current Gun World magazine and, they have one (2-8x42) mounted on an ultra-light arms muzzleloader in their feature article.  They don't say a whole lot about it but, from the picture, it looks alot like an older style Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss Diavari ZA 1.5-6x42.  You may have already seen this.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 01:30

I did not know that Gun World was still around.  I have not seen it on the shelf in awhile.  What is their impression of it?  I have only seen one in my life and it appeared t be very well made, but I did not get to use it.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 10:26
Yep, they are still around. I have the July issue which has an article about the Nikon 10x42 LX bino's. The August issue does have a review of the NULA muzzleloader, but I just saw the cover and the contents on the web page.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 12:59

ranburr wrote:

Are the Meopta issues quality or business related? 

ranburr

A little of both.  A long time ago we imported the little Artemis 4x and 6x with a .223 and .308 bullet drop reticle.  This was during the time right after the Berlin Wall came down and I think they just had not had any real world experience doing business.  They did not even understand the concept of the word "warranty" and thought it was odd that we wanted them to repair broken scopes FOR FREE.

SAKO 75 SS View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO 75 SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2004 at 16:50
I went to OpticsHq website to check out the KAPS riflescopes and they are not listed on their website but I emailed them and they are waitng for the Euro/Dollar exchange is what they told me. They will then release pricing info. Rudy from OpticsHq said they already have a shipment in Customs now. He said they are looking for dealers. Are you guys at SWFA planning on dealing with KAPS riflescopes? I would like to see how they compare to Zeiss optics! They are made in Wetzlar the same town Zeiss manufactures their German made riflescopes and binoculars.       Brian
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2004 at 17:18
Not at this time, but if we get enough request we will.
Knewt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 09:38
Nikko-Stirling's website:

http://www.nikkostirling.com/content_pages/home.htm

Only known USA importer:

Legacy Sports International
Guided Bullet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guided Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2004 at 00:23
My father-in-law has hunted for 31 years with an East German Zeiss and nearly as long with a Meopta.  Both scopes are 4 x 32mm.  He hunts extensively and has never had a moment's trouble with either scope.  Both scopes are mounted on rifles chambered for oddball European calibers of approximately .30-06 recoil.  The Zeiss is mounted on a double rifle and the Meopta is mounted on a bolt action.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic