OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best in $800 and less class for long range hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best in $800 and less class for long range hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best in $800 and less class for long range hunting
    Posted: November/03/2014 at 22:42
Considering the dollar ceiling, what's my best bet for poking holes in paper to around 800 yards as well as deer to 500-ish? I range and dial everything so excellent tracking and target knobs are a must. Other than that just the typical best glass in class and other ho-humm stuff you've all answered many times. I don't have an opportunity to look at many in person so help with reticles would be a huge help too. If it helps it's going on my 6.5 Grendel AR. THANK YOU MUCH!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 00:24
Sightron S3 6-24x50
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 06:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Sightron S3 6-24x50

I've have a SII and did like that scope. Do you think it'd be better than an offering than Meopta or Vortex in that range, Koshkin? As in, that's what you'd mount on yours? I'm familiar with your professional background and value your opinion a lot, so thanks for chiming in! 👍
Stiller3.43 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiller3.43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 13:51
Your in that Vortex/Burris (and others) range. I think if your NOT on the knobs much those are fine. I had two PSTs and had problems with both.... However Vortex has the best customer service I have ever seen and made it right. If you do that much shooting save a bit longer and get a NF. I tried to save money and bought a Zeiss instead. It was in your range $800 and had great glass but did not track so I sent it back to Zeiss to get checked out and it took 29 weeks to get back to me!!! I think that when ever you buy/invest in something such as a scope you should ALWAYS look at the customer service rating of that company.   I am poor so I tried to take the more economical route and it just caused me more work in the long run.
I KNOW MANY people have had good luck with other mid range scope companies but do they shoot like me???? as far? as often? etc.... Everybody shoots differently and require different levels from our gear.
JMO
Good Luck     
"I'm just a monkey on a gun"
-Chris Kyle
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 07:44

I have been looking @ the S-111 line-up, they are very popular with the bench rest shooters @ our club. I am also considering the NF SHV for $900 http://nightforceoptics.com/shv-4-14x56/

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 10:28
I've been thinking the same thing but don't know anyone with experience with the SHV. Hopefully someone who has and can give an objective opinion will chime in!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 11:38
huff,you might also want to keep an eye open on the  Sample list,I've gotten a lot of goods deals there over the years.That NF looks like a terrific deal also.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 12:06
Thanks and will do. Do you have experience with the NF SHV by chance?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2014 at 13:31
If you like Mil-Mil adjuustments and lots of bang for your buck I'd look into the SS variables... just saying...Howdy
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 06:38

I have no experience with the NF SHV, but I have had the pleasure of looking down range through their NSX scopes, and equate the experience to the equivalent of an eyegasm. They make some great stuff, and if the SHV is using the same glass as their higher end scopes, then it would have to be a contender in it's price range.  I'm also a big fan of their reticles.

I'm surprised that no one on here has any experience with this scope. SWFA doesn't list NF as a product that they handle, and the topic may be considered taboo Big Grin   The price tag of most of their products makes them taboo to my budget.

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
d.id View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.id Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 07:36
Sightron siii lr or bushnell elite tactical.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 09:22

In 1968 I bought a freaking beautiful 1962 Impala Sport Coupe for $700 cash....

......good scopes were costing between $49 and $100..... Whatever

Visit the Ed Show
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2014 at 09:46
a dealer in the uk sent me a Sightron S3 6-24x50..to play with did a comparison with my weaver tactical 3-15...Sightron above 10mag started to get milky which was worse on full mag....the waver did not exhibit any of this. colours also looked more vibrant in the weaver....similar money to the sightron we'll worth a lookBig Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic