OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for an lr308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for an lr308
    Posted: October/25/2014 at 08:17

I am new to the forum, but I have been searching through and read a fair bit.  What I need help with is deciding to illuminate or not.   Well, I may need more help than that, but I hope I have done enough research that I am not too lost... yet.

Ok, so 45 and good eyes.  I still don't need readers or anything.

I am looking to scope an LR308 with the AP4 upper right now, but eventually, this rifle will have a nice longer range upper built for it as well. 

This rifle will be used on hogs now and again.  It will be a range gun.  It will also be a rifle used on the "farm" to deal with critters.  I am having issues with coyotes, etc. in the horses and chickens.  Most of these critters are there at night, so I need lots of light gathering and a reptile I can see without washing out the target at night.  A spot light can be used for really dark nights, but I would like to be able to use it with some moon light without the additional light.

I shoot currently out to 600 yards with a Service Rifle.  I would like to be able to get at least that far, and maybe 1000 with whatever scope I choose when at the range.

Budget $500-$800. I really can not stretch this right now.  This price does not include the base. 

Things I want:

Mil/mill

FFP

Parallax adjustment

2 or 4x low and 12 to (?) highpower

50 mm (I think) but school me on this.

Illuminated reticle  (I think)

Solid and reliable both with optics and mechanically.     

Scopes I have looked very seriously at:

Weaver 3-15x50

Vortex 4-16 (Really a little out of my range with the FFP and illumination)

Primary arms FFP (little nervous about this one but The Truth about Guns site had a good review)

Burris XTR II, but I will have to wait for a sale.

Thanks for the help.  Right now, the Weaver is at the very top of the list due to price, features and reviews that I have seen.  I can not find a review about that scope's illumination for night though.

redman2006 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 08:26

Oh, and the SWFA that I just saw listed to the side of the home page if I do not go illuminated.

I would have just edited the original post, but I can not seem to find the edit button. 

Thanks again

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 18:08
Have you checked samplelist.com?
http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-4-16x50-Xtreme-Tactical-XTR-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P77062.aspx

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 18:16
I have no . Thanks
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 18:18
http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x44-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48417.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-Patrol-30mm-Riflescope-P49445.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44561.aspx

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 18:19
I am a huge fan of the Leupold patrol. Great illumination, good glass too
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 20:57
Is it enough though? I think I want a little more magnification.   That one is not ffp is it?   I guess without mil dot ranging it would not matter.

Too many options. The more I read, the more confused I get.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 20:59
Of the 2 stated uses (low light hunting / varmint control and range) which is most important? If hunting in low light, trijicon accupoint 3-9; if range, SS 3-9.

Both will work for the other task, neither will do the other especially well.

I have no experience with the others listed, or the Leupold.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - October/27/2014 at 08:38
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 21:06
The low light is more important.

The leupold looks good   I had missed that model some how. I would still like a ffp with a mil dot reticle.   
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 21:18
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2014 at 07:41
I own both the SS and the Leupold.I really like the Firedot Leupold VX-R, but the glass in the SS is clearly, no pun intended, better than the Leupold in low light. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2014 at 22:54
For the uses you listed, and of the choices you listed, buy the Weaver.  It's really a great scope.  The illum is pretty bright in absolute darkness, but either the red or green on its lowest setting should still be useful for you.  The color will bleed significantly on the high illum settings.

The PA is a great scope in its price range.  It's not as good optically as the Weaver (my friend has one of each, and I have a Weaver and have used his PA), and it won't work as well in the dark, but it's a nice scope in its price range.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 06:25
Thanks to everyone. It looks lime I need to do more thinking.   

My big concern for the coyotes is an illumination that won't wash out the yote in dim light. I don't really need daylight illumination, because at that point I can see the reticle just fine.

Light gathering is important, but I don't want to over do it. Most of the dim light shots will be under 100 yards, so exit pupil at really high mag will not be an issue, right?

I really like the fire dot mil reticle on the leupold, but wish it was a bit more than 9x at the top. Others in my range tend to be mismatched mil/ moa setups.   

I worry that the weaver and Burris will over illuminate at night. It looks like Bushnell has a couple of reticles in some of the tactical elites that would work. Supposably there are scopes in my range by them with mil/mil and dot type illumination even in ffp, but I can't find one for sale.

If there are other brands at or under $800 that you suggest, I am all ears.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 07:29
Man,  I've had a totally different experience with the Patrol,  it with the ND-3 has slayed a many a coyote in pitch black with no problem. 

I guess it boils down to how good is good enough? 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 07:45

Stupid question, but is there a way to edit a post?  My grammar and spelling look like a 2 year old got to the keyboard since I was using a phone to post.

hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 07:57
For some reason you will need 50 posts before this site will allow you to edit. 

What are your plans regards a 'long range upper' ??
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 08:40
Mine too, redman, but I have 50 posts!

On the washout in low light, the Accupoint mil dot is quite unobtrusive, the dot is very small; however, the reticle itself is a bit heavy for my tastes.

It sounds like those with hands on experience really like the Leupold.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redman2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 09:33

Hatton,

My plan for a long range upper is still up in the air, but a 20-22 inch bull barrel, floated of course will be the backbone.  There are several options there.  Honestly, it is down the road quite a while.

The lower already has a Gisele service rifle trigger installed since I am familiar with that I'm my service rifle for HP. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 10:24
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

It sounds like those with hands on experience really like the Leupold.

I'm torn between the better glass quality of the SS and the Firedot reticle on the Leupold. The SS is really a better scope overall, if I had to choose in a "low light" scope.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 19:00
but if you can see the reticle/aiming point, what good is good glass?  I ain't knocking the SS, its a better scope glass wise and in almost every situation, however in low light I have to give the nod to the patrol simply due to the firedot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic