OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Diamondback question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Diamondback question
    Posted: October/17/2014 at 11:14

I think for a couple of rifles that I am wanting to scope up the Diamondback has a good price/feature combination.  I like the reticles it is available with and the price is in my budget.  Since I am going to do 2-3 rifles I need to keep the price under $200.  Ranges will be 200M and less.   For those of you that have had one what is you feeling on the Diamondback?

Thanks

Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 11:31

Diamondback is a good budget friendly durable scope.  Ive had one on a dirty-30 lever gun for a while with no issues and its been bounced around a truck a bit too.  Has held zero fine and glass is more than serviceable for legal shooting hours.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 13:36
got one for my son to put on his 22-250... and now its sitting on his 17 B-mag...  been a good scope.. held zero and survived my Son!!!  I think its a 4-12X40

Edited by Tip69 - October/20/2014 at 08:48
take em!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 16:09
I've got one on my .22 mag.  good scope for the money.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2014 at 11:34
The only negative I have with the 3-9x40 is that the eye relief changes a lot when going from 3 to 9x.  Some scope's eye relief change with magnification change but I really notice it with the Diamondback.  The glass seems great for the money though. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2014 at 20:24
Originally posted by MikeStaten MikeStaten wrote:

The only negative I have with the 3-9x40 is that the eye relief changes a lot when going from 3 to 9x.  Some scope's eye relief change with magnification change but I really notice it with the Diamondback.  The glass seems great for the money though. 
actually according to the manufactures specs it only changes .2" from 3x to 9x, thats not a lot. .8" is a lot from 3x to 9x.  

On a side note, have you considered the bushnell legend ultra hd 3x9?? Same price, decent scope with rainguard. Just a thought...
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 10:47
"actually according to the manufactures specs it only changes .2" from 3x to 9x, thats not a lot. .8" is a lot from 3x to 9x."

That's what it's listed as but it seems much more noticeable on this scope than any other I've used.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 11:01
A buddy of mine bought one for a Savage 111 7mm08, his wouldn't stay zero'd.  He zero'd it one evening, went hunting, gut shot a doe, went back and checked it, 6" off.  This fellow is a flat deer killing machine with quite a few nice bucks to his credit already this season.  Took the scope off, replaced it with a Weaver SS yesterday, killed another fat doe over the peanuts last night at 200 stone dead.
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2014 at 08:21

Thanks for the information guys. 

Pyro I have not looked at that one, I will go take a look at it.

salty, did he send it back?  I wonder how Vortex would handle that kind of thing?

Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2014 at 09:50
Don't know what he did with it, I assume he sent it back to Vortex.  I know they'll replace it but, doubtful it ever sits on another rifle he owns.

I'm the same way with Nikon optics, had a series of bad experiences with them and just don't trust the name enough to spend money on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic