OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CZ 527 Varmint .204

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CZ 527 Varmint .204
    Posted: October/16/2014 at 21:20
So I've had the CZ 527 Varmint since January and I have a question to anybody with experience with this gun. So I've been working up loads for it with 32 gr v-max 40 gr v-max and 34 gr dogtown (Nosler) bullets and a couple different powders. It seems to shoot all these, no matter what load or powder, in .75- 1 inch 5 shot groups. I have about 100 rounds through it +/- a few rounds. Is there a barrel break in period? From what I've read this gun is capable of a lot better. I've used Ramshot X-terminator and Reloader 10x all with CCI primers and Hornady cases. Any suggestions on powers or bullets. I hear sierra 39 gr work well but they suck for coyotes so probably wont try those. Thanks.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 05:45
Rifledude might help. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 08:41
Other than powder and projectile, what have you varied?  Have you tried different seating depths, have you run the projectiles from mid-velocity to hot?  How precise is your loading process?  Do you weigh and batch brass?

Assuming you are quite precise with your reloading, it may just be that you have a 0.75MOA gun, which isn't bad.

What scope is on the gun?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 10:31
If your mag box length will allow, load OAL to just touch the lands, but don't jam into the lands. Back off your powder charge and work up until you get 3800 - 3850 fps or so and watch for pressure. Then if touching lands doesn't give you acceptable precision, experiment with seating depth up to maybe .010" off the lands max. You'll usually get best results very close to or touching the lands.

I use the 39gr SBK bullets and Benchmark, but most of my shooting at critters with the .204 has been prairie dogs. I've shot a couple 'yotes with it, and it worked, but these bullets are very frangible, so you won't get deep penetration.

If you're not satisfied with SBK performance on coyotes, I would probably try the Berger 40gr. I doubt the 39 NPT would be any tougher than the SBK, though I haven't tried it on coyotes. I also haven't tried the 40 gr. V-Max, as they didn't group quite as well in my rifle as the SBK. Experience in .224" rounds tells me that the V-Max will likely behave similarly to the SBK.

Other than Benchmark, I would also try RL10X, RL15, and H322. If you don't get acceptable precision from one of those powders with the aforementioned bullets, you're not likely to see any improvement with anything else.

Good luck!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 19:15
My CZ 527 Kevlar .223 Varminter started shooting noticeably better after about 400 rounds and will deliver consistent half MOA five shot groups when I perform.  My 527 sporter weight .204 with maple stock did this out of the box after finding the load it likes best which ended up being 24.6 grains of VVN 140 under 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings seated to magazine length with Federal primers.  However, with the light weight barrel it clover leafs three shots and then steps the last two out about 1/8th inch and is a lot more sensitive to shooter error.  It works well on coyotes.  A friend's 527 .223 Varminter, the twin to mine, was a shooter out of the box so not surprisingly each rifle acts a bit differently.  I do not shoot the 32 grain projectiles so have not worked with those considering them too wind sensitive for where we hunt Coyotes (S. E. WA State).  Good luck.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 21:33
Well I haven't tried anything other than these powders and bullets. I've just decided to seat them magazine length, i don't want to load one at a time in a hunting scenario. I consider myself a pretty precise reloader I use a RCBS balance scale and weigh every charge, im not too big a fan of those electronic scale measures. It takes me a long time but my last 5 shot group had a spread of 19 fps. They generally arent that good but usually run 30-40 fps spreads. I run ladders of min charge to maximum in .5 grain increments. I measure each shot after i press the bullet to make sure they are all the same. 

I use the steel rings CZ sends you. They seem very sturdy and well made. I have an older 4-12x40 nikon prostaff w/ nikoplex that my dad bought me in 2010 for like 250.00. Not the best scope but it tops my new guns until I save up for the scope I really want.

After I posted I went searching around the internet for other information. In some other forum some gu asked the same question and he was advised to check the action screws. I grabbed my gun to check and my front screw was finger tight and my back screw dang near broke my screw driver trying to get it loose must have been tightened to about 100 foot pounds... It literally took all my power to loosen. I feel that might have contributed a little to the inaccuracy. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 21:57

This was my last outing. Theres been many more targets that look about the same. The bottom right 3 shot group got me excited but those last two shots sucked. I loaded up five more of the same load went out and shot those and these three must have been a fluke but the spread for tip to tip was .055 in. hopefully i can figure out how to make it shoot like that every time.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 22:01
oh this was before i asked my question and the middle is a 4 shot 40 gr vmax. the rest are 34 gr

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 10:19
I'm not a reloader... and we shoot Savage model 11s.. but we've killed yotes out to 300 yds with 1 shot with the Hornady 32 grns!  You might try the Superformance powder as that's what Hornady developed along with this round!  I have seen this powder on the shelves around here too.
take em!
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2014 at 00:46
My rifle is a Howa 1500 Varmint. It's too heavy to carry around when I coyote hunt, I sometimes use a 12 gauge for that anyway. Mine likes Norma brass, 39 gr Sierra Blitz Kings, 25.7 grains of Benchmark, Federal match primers. Seating depth is 2.260. That is 10 thousandths off the lands. That IS a max load so start less. Like someone above mentioned, the Hornady factory ammo shoots very well too and has more velocity than I have have been able to get. I wouldn't be that disappointed with .75 inch groups. I can sometimes get half inch groups but not consistently.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 19:38
Well its been a few months since i've been able to shoot but i tightened down my rings, bought a box of 32 gr superformance and headed to the range with my wife. previous tests with 32 gr vmax bullets were pretty bad with accuracy. I think the culprit for crappy accuracy has been discovered. This was a great group my wife shot at 100 yards. Shes a crack shot, shot slightly better than me even though it hurt my pride. my groups were a tiny bit larger but almost all touching she had one flier.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 19:38
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 19:42
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 19:43
She said she knew she pulled the shot 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 19:45
I wish that i could edit a post then i wouldnt have to post 15 times when i screw up i didnt tighten the rings i tightened down the action screws
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2015 at 22:22
I was thinking that after 50 posts you could edit them. Look at the post options on the right top of your post for the edit option.

Also glad you found out what the problem was.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2015 at 00:01
Thanks Sparky, with all the time ive spent on this website you would think i could have found that by now. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic