OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Rem 700 in 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Rem 700 in 30-06
    Posted: October/13/2014 at 13:18
Putting together a rifle for my brother for general deer hunting.

Shots will range from 50-200 yards.  I'm leaning towards a 3-9x40.  I want to keep it under $300 so I'm considering the following scopes-

• Leupold VX2
  • Vortex Viper
  • Bushnell Elite 3-9x40

Aside from initial sight in, he won't be using the adjustments.  Primary concern is low light visibility.

Hate to say it but I'm slightly leaning towards the Leupold as he's not a gun enthusiast but he'll at least have heard of that brand.  However, if another scope is considerably better I'd definitely consider it.

Thanks,

Mike

DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 14:04
This is a little over your budget but would be my first choice:

iflescopes

Zeiss 3-9x42 Terra Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Product Grading Information

DEMO A: Like New In Box
DEMO B: Shows Very Slight Wear From Use
DEMO C: Shows Obvious Signs of Use
  $379.95

Zeiss 3-9x42 Terra Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Stock # - SPL20630
Add to Wishlist
< name="ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl10$Quantity" value="1" maxlength="5" size="2" id="ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl10_Quantity" style="width:30px;" ="text">
Zeiss 3-9x42 TerraNew Price: $449.95
Manufacture Part#:522701-9979
Reticle: RZ6
Finish: Matte
Tube Diameter: 1"
DEMO-A
2 units available

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 15:22
id get the leupold vx2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 15:50
Out of the list you put up the Vortex Viper gets my nod.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 16:03
Really, any of the three mentioned would be fine. The 3-9 X 40 basic scope makes sense. Do check out the Sample list for other options in your price range. Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 16:03

I have no experience with the Vortex but I do with the VX2 and the Bushnell Elite. I think the optics are slightly better in the Elite and the Elite has Rainguard HD which none of the scopes mentioned so far have any type hydro coatings. For me, I'd get the 3-9 Elite with the Firefly reticle cause the reticle is nice and bold (easy to see in low light) yet not to thick like Leupold's heavy duplex, which is a good low light reticle, but a little on the thick side for longer range target work.

Here is the Firefly reticle and you can see that the inner sections are thin enough for target work. The reticle is bold enough that it is easy to see in low light conditions without "charging" the reticle with a flashlight to make it "glow green". IMO, this is easily one of the best low light reticles. If I could get that reticle in my Leica ER 2.5-10x42 I could hunt at night with the optics that Leica scope has.

Edited by Roy Finn - October/13/2014 at 16:23
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic