OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

lo-flare 2-10x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lo-flare 2-10x?
    Posted: October/06/2014 at 08:18

Which designs best deal with situations where there is more light coming into the back of the scope than the front? I have had some unfortunate circumstances where I could not make out a deer in the shade when the sun was at a low angle behind me. I looked at a Leupold vx3 and a Zeiss yesterday while shining a light from behind my head. I sure thought the Leupold was better until I shined the light.

I am looking for a new scope for a deer rifle. One that has at least forty feet of field of view on the low end yet still cranks up to 9x or more would suit me.

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 18:00

Optics grasshopper is right because all I hear is crickets!

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 18:18
not much you can do in that case, bad position to be in really.  something like a boonie hat with a brim all the way around might help to block the sun some. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 22:27
Budget?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2014 at 04:24
About $1100. Thanks for the replies!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2014 at 12:30
This is about as good as you will get for $1100.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2014 at 12:39
What is it about that scope that makes it perform well in situations where there is more light coming into the back of the scope than the front? Internal coatings? Matted surfaces?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2014 at 13:10
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

What is it about that scope that makes it perform well in situations where there is more light coming into the back of the scope than the front? Internal coatings? Matted surfaces?

All of the above.

Leica ER scopes are about as high end as hunting scopes get, so $1100 for that is a pretty good deal.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2014 at 12:25
thanks for the heads-up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic