OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marine Plywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Plywood
    Posted: October/02/2014 at 11:58
     Checking just about everywhere in Oklahoma for even a scrap of 3/8's marine grade plywood and it can't be found. To far from the ocean I suppose. I need 2 pieces 10"x 36" in size. It is looking like special odering a single sheet and paying outrageous freight may be the only answer unless someone can be found with access to 3/8'marine grade plywood. If needed I will pay for a sheet. You cut off what I need and you can keep the rest. It would be cheaper than the freight for a full sheet. I am needing it to replace the outside transom board on 2 early 70s FD Alumacraft fishing boats that I am restoring.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 12:13
Just cut a piece of 3/8 ply wood and coat it with polyester resin. We have done it a few time with poone toone boats...LOL yes I spelled it like I say it.. It work very good.

Here is a helpful link

http://www.ehow.com/how_10053007_make-marine-plywood.html

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 12:59
Since this board is used to cushion the hull from the abrasion of the outboard. It gets bruised and scuffed. Varnish will not protect enough to keep the moisture out leading to the plywood prematurely separating. Using the wrong plywood when it was replaced before was the problem on one of the boats. On my boat it deteriorated from 40+ years of exposure.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 13:08
well, I tried. Good Luck.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 13:26
I am sure there is plenty of around where I live.

I can pick up a couple of pieces and send them to you, I suppose.  

However, a brief search suggests that there are a few marine plywood suppliers in Oklahoma.  I am sure you checked with them, but just in case:

Cedar Creek Lumber, 405-947-6900 - L
* Oklahoma City - Paxton Woodcrafters' Store, 1815 S. Agnew Ave, 73108, 405-235-4411 - L
* Tulsa - Paxton Woodcrafters' Store, 8309-C E. 68th St., 74133. 918-459-8888 - L

ILya
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 14:02
I can check around here if need be. Please advise if necessary.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 14:32
The supplys in OK are 3/4" and 1/2". I am not secure of the integrity of taking the 1/2" and planning it down to  3/8" It may be what I have to do. I never want to do this again.  M&M is only a block away. Cedar creek is Wholesale only warehouse . I asked if they could tell me who they supplied and was told longer stock Marine plywood. I have spent most of a week looking for all the parts needed. I thought the solid rivet's would have been the hard part and not the plywood. The box stores have all but wiped out the do it yourselfer's.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 17:17
Hope you get your wood Lile.  Gotta ask BD, what the hell is a Poon Tang boat?
God save the Empire!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 17:17
Lile,  how about we do this: if you find some place around here that has the plywood you want, I'll be more than happy to go buy a piece, slice it up into sizes you need and send it to you.

ILya
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 18:59
I was thinking that Graham might have a little left over from the boat project he did last year. Still may try to plane a piece of 1/2". At least the 1/2 I can get is made with the water proof glue, If I seal the whole thing with tung oil it may hold together. I have to R&R 24 rivets to remove the tray brace.
 These pics are not my boat but shows what I am replacing.

My boat has a 2013 20HP Suzuki 4 stroke. This shows the area for the back plywood.

The interior transom board will be 1 1/8" Cypress. It was originally western Cedar that had dry rot.

This is the seating layout.
 With 2 people and gear the boat will reach 26 mph by GPS where the rev limiter cuts in. I may take the prop from a 10" pitch to a 11" pitch. Hope to lower the RPM to run beneath the rev limiter.  Last week it ran 26 miles on less than 2 gallons of gas.  I can't imagine putting a 40 HP on the boat. Even though it is rated up to a 40 hp. Loco

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 19:17
I don't have any 3/8 plywood left but if you can't source it locally I'll be glad to run down to the store and get it.  Just PM me.  Not sure what shipping it would be like on it due to the od size but shouldn't be to bad.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 05:58
I'm wonder where in the world Lile ever found time for this project?!?!?!?!

Sounds like a fun project!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 07:44
I have access to cedar and cypress if you'd rather have that Lyle, my uncle has a saw mill and I can get pretty much any thickness you'd want for that.  Just have to  find if he's got any that will fit your size needed.

If its 10" wide by 36" long no problem,  if you need 36" wide by 10" long that could be an issue finding a tree over 3" in diameter with usable  center.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 09:47
The 10"x 36" is the 3/8" Marine grade plywood. Just to keep it more simple I will try to plane down the 1/2" to 3/8 and hope it will not degrade the integrity of the piece. This piece is only there as to protect the back of the boat from the outboard.

I have the Cypress for transom brace.

Edited by 3_tens - October/03/2014 at 09:59

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 09:57
  Bud as for the time. Since the government has placed the 6 month moratorium on foreclosures across the board. Things here are dead.  The mortgage company's must prove that the clients in foreclosure do not have good credit, and are not able to restructure the loan.

(Once foreclosure is filled the clients credit is trash to where they couldn't finance a box of Cheerio's)

Obama don't understand this. (DING DING DING!) But it keeps all the houses off the market until after the election.    The true reason revealed.      At this time, inventory is under 30 houses. Time is avaliable to complete projects. It may be possible to go hunting this year.  The flood of the backlog should hit after thanksgiving or the first of the year.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

The 10"x 36" is the 3/8" Marine grade plywood. Just to keep it more simple I will try to plane down the 1/2" to 3/8 and hope it will not degrade the integrity of the piece. This piece is only there as to protect the back of the boat from the outboard.

I have the Cypress for transom brace.

Ok.

Just make sure the plywood you have is truly marine grade treaded, some treatment doesn't penetrate like it is suppose to and planning it down would expose untreated wood.  Quality ain't what it use to be.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 13:01
10-4 on quality. The Marine 1/2"& 3/4 here does carry the Loyds approved stamp. The Tung oil will penetrate deep if it is kept from drying to soon. Not my first choice. Then again, It will likely last the rest of my life.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2014 at 16:24
3/8" plywood arrived yesterday. Got home at 10:30 stopped at the barn sawed it out, sanded, and had a coat of oil finish on it by 11:00. This morning applied a 2nd coat. I was lucky. The  temps dropped into the 30's. This allowed the oil to penetrate but not dry so the second coat should penetrate even deeper.

Before and after shot of the inside oak board that I replaced

This is the new back plate I started on the drying stand .

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 08:41
nice.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 11:23
A well done job Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic