OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

wool hunting gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wool hunting gear
    Posted: October/01/2014 at 10:12
Im looking to get a wool hunting coat/parka or something like that. Doesnt neccessary have to be camo. Usually I wear a wool base, and  light/medium fleece outside.  That works pretty good most the time, but I would like good wool outer layer for them cold and windy days.  I'm 6'9" so it must come in tall sizes.  I live in the hills of tennesse, winters here can be 5 degrees to 55. Generally they float 20-40 though. Any recommendations?
Ive been looking at the LL bean maine guide parka,  Cabela legacy parka. Looked at the Filson double mackinaw. Looks awesome, but I dont think im ready to put that much in a coat. Maybe one day when ive got more pennies to go around.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 10:23
I have a BeagleWear from Vermont (I think) that is awesome. However, I've heard they are now out of business. Perhaps there are still some floating around online.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 15:34

" ' I'm 6 foot nine!!'  Have you tried the Woolrich warehouse?!!! "   

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 16:35
At 6'9" you ain't gonna have many choices but I guess you know that. You'll be lucky if you can find a tall. Try Cabelas they make a series called Outfitter Wool, I have a pair of the pants and they are quite good. Best guess you will have to buy whatever you can find in a tall wool or not. Good lick.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 17:26
This is a pretty cool one, but WHOA! it's pricey:

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-the-mix-up-wool-jacket/_/R-16177 
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 17:47
Nice coat Deck but no tall. We were Woolrich reps some years ago but the only talls they offered at that time were in the Chamois shirt line. He can always call and ask?

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 18:48
A Filson Cruiser is a little less expensive than the double Mac and comes in tall sizes.  Though lighter weight wool for your temp range it should work okay with a wool base layer and fleece second layer.  I have a wool Cape Coat but it is lighter than the Cruiser so probably not a good choice for your needs.  Unless you outgrow them Filson garments lasts forever.  Lots of used Filson on Ebay and I bought a used tall size wool vest last winter that looked unworn for under 60% of list.  My hunting coat is a fully wool lined Filson field coat with canvas outer shell that is not waxed.  It was also available with waxed cotton outer which would provide more wind proofing but I don't see either listed in the current catalog.  Mine is marked Style 71 and as I recall these were less than the Cruisers, intended as daily working "barn coats" and were also made in tall sizes.  Should still be plenty around in store inventories or on Ebay. After 15+ years of use if I were to choose again I would buy the oil cloth short Packer Coat with removable full wool liner because of the zip front and longer cut which provides a bit more wind proofing if you need that.  My coat was plenty warm for hunting seasons in WY and I think it was well under $300 in the mid 1990s.  I also noticed a Filson store recently in an outlet mall which I did not check out but might be worth a look if you are near one of these malls.  I have access to the Seattle main store which is usually where I look and then buy where Filson is discounted-lots of dealers around here.  I'm 6,4" and wear a 37" dress shirt sleeve and the extra long sizes provide plenty of length for me.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 19:19
Rain man you can scratch your knees without bending over cantcha?

I'm only 5'7" with long arms and I can get close!!!

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 20:04
I'm six feet tall with 36 inch sleeves!     Coffee
Visit the Ed Show
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 20:40
Yes, almost!  Can't imagine being 6"9".  It was tough to find affordable clothes for a tall kid in the 50s and 60s in small town America, probably better now.  It got even worse at age 12 with size 13 AA foot.  Expensive special order shoes, probably better than most professionals wore.  It was much later in life before I fully appreciated what it cost my folks to keep me in decent clothes and shoes.  Anyway, I think stork23raz has a decent chance of finding a Filson coat that will fit even though the price may be a bit much to swallow.  Amortized over 20 years it is more reasonable and if you have kids it goes to the next generation and maybe even a couple more after that.  Buy once, cry once as they say.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 22:01
" I Gotta have a Large Tall.....and don't ever dry anything with long sleeves!!  Hang 'em out in the wind! "   

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 22:04

" Gimme two rum and cokes. Make them doubles---it'll save you a trip!  "   

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 04:12
Rainman, I've been selling boots and shoes for a long time and 13AA would be a b***h to find.
16EEEE is easier to find.

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 05:10
Thanks guys for the info It would be great to get  filson discounted or something.
Yes finding clothes is kinda a pain. Its gotten easier in the past 5 years or so. I just dont get to be very picky. I plan on buying some wool pants too. I'm probably just gonna go with the LLbean on those. I can either get them in 36" , be a tad short, but they will be stuffed in the boots or get them unfinished.(I wear a 38 length) Most of these specialized clothing like Under armour, or hunting, active wear. Pants only come in 33 or 33.5. I'm not sure what kind of midgets they think we got around here.
Does anything have any experience with the LL Bean maine guide parka? I'm not crazy about it, its only 85% wool/15% nylon then has prima loft. I'm gonna look around and try to get a Filson though.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 05:23
Years ago I got some terrific deals on Army Surplus wool pants.  They were German Army...two pair for $10!!  They were so freaking nice I couldn't wear them out in the stickers!!  I used them for dress pants!! 

I also got a wool blend pair of pants at the same time.  I think they were Czech.  They are gorgeous, too, but very, very tough ( double layer on part of the leg ), so I did actually wear them for hunting.  

The wool pants were gray.  The Czech pants were grayish-green.

You might try some Army Surplus and see what you can come up with.  
Visit the Ed Show
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 07:03
+1 on the Filson recommendation.  I know they seem expensive up front but they more than make up for that in longevity.  My go-to hunting coat is an unlined Filson in Tin Cloth (gives me the option of inner wear depending on temperature).  100% water and wind proof and except for replacing the odd button it has had hard use for about 15 years and is still going strong.
God save the Empire!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 07:56
I have several LLBean items and the quality is always great, as is their customer service.  My favorites from them are the Maine Hunting Shoe - I have three pairs - one uninsulated I keep at the camphouse, an identical pair that I keep at the house in case someone invites me hunting, and one thinsulate pair that I pack around wherever in the winter.  Not to get too far off-topic, but for $4 they will add lacing studs to them. 

Back to the clothing - I have an issue with clothing - including LLBean, in that I have a 38" waist and a 50" chest, so I have to buy XXL in everything.  PRoblem with that, as you can imagine, is that the vast majority of folks that have a 50" chest also have a 50" waist.  The only off-the-shelf dress shirts that work for me are 18 1/2" / 36 in an aggressive athletic cut.  No suits off the rack - ever.  Makes my life more expensive, too. 

In any event I end up having to dress-off my LLBean shirts.  I do have some of their wool shirts, though, and like I said, the quality is great.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 12:29

US Navy Pea Coat would be a good option if you dont mind the color. I have been using Swanndri out of NZ and find it to be one of my favorites along with the llbean,filson,woolrich,pendleton,eddie bauer, sleepping indian and all the others  i have forgot Smile   luv my wools

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 14:24
I'm with Ed on the military surplus. I have a couple pairs of the German wool pants. You'll never wear them out, and there is no doubt they are warm. It's harder to find the stuff from Europe now, but if you can find the stuff from W. Germany, Switzerland, or Sweden it's good stuff. Don't forget the British wooly pully sweater too.
There is still lots of U.S. Military wool clothing available too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 14:34
I had two beautiful ( I think ) English wool Military sweaters with the shoulder patches and arm patches, etc.  One, ( my favorite Blue one!! ), got shrunk up to the size of Barbie and Ken!!   Shocked 

I didn't think wool could get that small!!!    

I still have the tan one.  Indestructible!    

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic