OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

binoculars recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DannyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: binoculars recommendation
    Posted: September/19/2014 at 15:08

I am considering two options for new optics:

• Swarovski EL Range 10x42
  • Leica Geovid HD-B Range 10x42

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on which is preferred? The Leica has more features, bells and whistles but I have heard negative comments about warranty service.

I would appreciate any comments, especailly if you own a pair.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 15:36
I have personally used Leica's warranty service on a RF bino and in my experience it was superb.  My had a chipped internal lens from the factory.  They fixed it with no questions asked.  I would not let that detract you from getting the one that fits your needs/wants best. 

But either way you go, they are both fantastic units.  I currently own the Zeiss RF bino and it is very good as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
DannyC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DannyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 15:53

Thanks for the info supertool73, where did you send the Leica's to for repair? A US service center?

Did you send them direct to Leica or go through a dealer?

Thanks
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 15:55
I really like my Zeiss LRF and the glass. I imagine the bins would be even better.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 16:00
The Leica US service center, I dealt with them direct.  IIRC it took a couple weeks is all. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2014 at 08:38
I just looked thru all of the big 3 at a local store and the Swaro's seemed to range the fastest.  

I decided I really probably don't need atmospheric pressure and temperature for most of my shooting so I'm going with the Swaro's since the price is comparable to Leica right now. 

I was really thinking Leica at first tho since I have one of their rangefinders and really like it but wanted to upgrade to carry less stuff when hunting.  The Swaro's just felt better to me.  

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though as the glass in all three is excellent and I have a friend with a set made by Zeiss that he swears by.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic