OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

set screw swfa ss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: set screw swfa ss
    Posted: September/13/2014 at 21:31
I have a swfa ss 10x scope, which has surpassed my expectations and has performed extremely well.
the only thing is the set screws on my windage dial loosen up after firing several rounds. is there a trick to keep this from happening, or am i not tightening these up enough? or is this normal and need to be checked often?
steve
KD5AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD5AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 23:43
The set screws are a steel alloy, threaded into aluminum, tightening against brass.  Yes, they do require a certain amount of tension to hold but too much strips the aluminum or destroys the brass.  Loctite 222, purple, is recommended for holding the screws on most rings holding our scopes on our guns.  If need be, I would use that same Loctite on the turret screw.  There is a magic number for the torque setting, in inch pounds or inch ounces for the screws to hold without destroying things, but I forget what the numbers are.  I googled it once and I do believe the answer was on this forum, but that was a while back.
KD5AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD5AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 23:53
Here are one I remember talking about this topic:

http://www.opticstalk.com/keeping-turret-screws-from-coming-loose_topic1965.html

and

http://www.opticstalk.com/lost-zero-after-90-shotsnormal_topic33445.html
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 18:08
Those screws have very fine thread, so I would not use the same loctite as what goes onto the ring screws.  That'll gum things up and not work too well.

You can use some nailpolish on the threads (very little of it) or the fine thread non-permanent loctite.  I think it is green and it is not nearly as common as the regular loctite.  

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic