OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 700 Varmint 308 Win.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYH1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 700 Varmint 308 Win.
    Posted: September/13/2014 at 03:47

I just got a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint Rifle in 308 Win. (26" heavy barrel). I need to decide which scope I want to get for it. I really like Leupold Scopes. I had an issue with one of their scopes years ago and they went out of their way to fix it for me and then air shipped back on a Saturday so I would have it for the following Mondays opening day for deer season. That really meant a lot to me.  Since then I've become a dedicated Leupold customer so I'd like to stick with a Leupold Scopes and Mounts.....as long as they fit my application and budget.

This rifle is going to be a target/fun gun that I might add some things to it as I go.  First a Timney Trigger,  then maybe a better stock, a bi pod and things like that. My budget for a new scope will be up to $600, NOT including the mounting system.  I plan on using Leupold's Dual Dovetail base and rings (mounting it as close to the barrel as possible.  I plan to shoot it from 100 out to 500 yards or so.  Would a 20 MOA mount be a better choice?  

I currently have five Leupolds, a VX-I 2-7x28mm Rimfire on our S&W MP15-22, a VX-II 2-7x33mm on my Rem. 7600 Carbine 30-06, a VX-1 2-7x33mm LR that I switch back and forth with QD mounts between that and my Aimpoint PRO on my Colt AR15 Carbine 223/5.56 (MT6400) this setup works awesome, a VX-1 3x9x40mm "lady's edition" on my wife's Rem. 700 Compact 243 Win. and a VX-II 4-12x40mm AO on my Remington 700 BDL 223 Rem. it's a tact driver and I really like that scope.

I have to say that I probably prefer to have more magnification then most guys do, that's just me.  I usually use my scopes turned all the way up unless I'm moving.  So I'm looking for a scope similar to my VX-II 4-12x40mm AO for my 308.  Should I consider something like a VX-2 4-12x40mm, VX-2 6-18x40mm (this is the most powerful scope I'll probably be able to put on my rifle) or a VX-3 4.5-14x40, they all available with nothing on them or with AO or CDS or with both AO AND CDS. Or should I put my current VX-II 4-12x40 AO from my 223 Rem. on my 308 Win. then get a new VX-2 6-18x40mm to put on my Rem. 700 223 Rem?   

I've also been seriously considering the fixed power FX-3 12x40mm AO, seems like nice simple scope.  I've looked at the Mark AR Mod 1 4-12x40mm and 6-18x40mm Scopes too. I like the tactical look and the idea of being able to use adjustment turrets for elevation adjustments. However, the markings on the scope dials are for 223/5.56. Can I get them for a 308?  

I'm leaning heavily towards the VX-3 4.5-14x40mn (w/AO, CDS or both AO and CDS), the FX-3 12x40mm AO, then the two 6-18x40mm (both the VX-2 and Mark AR Mod 1).  Which "reticles" work on larger caliber rifles for long range shooting?  What about the Custom Dial System (CDS)?  How does it work, is it worth getting?  I've never used a scope with adjustable turrets.  This will be the first rifle I'll be setting up as a dedicated target/long range rifle.

Thanks, NYH1.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2014 at 09:18

use the vx3 4.5x14 varmit ret a lot on a swift , as well as the 12x on prairie dog. guns.  the 12x would be my choice hands down, but I would use their Weaver (base) type mounts, 1000 times better

the ballistic profile of a 223 and 168 gr 308 is not that much different and with a little playing around you can use it for most, usually there is more variation in 223 rounds than these two. it depends if you reload which allows you to change the velocity to match the drop profile of the scope.

while I have many leos and like them for hunting, I would get the SWFA SS 10x with their reticle, for this type of gun. better turrets, better recticle

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2014 at 13:21
For a strictly bench gun, I'd go with the SS 10x Dale suggested too. It's a wonderful optic, for the price.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 13:34
+1
NYH1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYH1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 01:10

I bought a Leupold VARI X III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Tactical Scope (30mm tube) this weekend at a gun show.  It's in really good condition.

Thanks, NYH1.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 16:39
All the best! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jmr1969 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 09:05
I would recommend Ordering a Jewel Trigger and patiently waiting for it to come they are the best!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic