OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Hot Shots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remember the Alamo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remember the Alamo!
    Posted: September/10/2014 at 16:38
A famous war cry from generated from Sam Houston as Gen. Santa Anna begin deployments around the Alamo.

This fortress was supported by around 250 men during the Revolution of Texas. Famous men we now revere were present, like Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin (Grandfather of Law Enforcement in Texas) Davey Crockett, Jim Bowie, Col. William B Travis and Col. James C Neil, held their ground while under attack.

Recently I was in San Antonio and while I am there, I find it imperative to visit the Alamo. Not just because of its tourist appeal, however to always remember the Alamo and that freedom has a price.

Personally I am a huge history fan and learning from it. That first photo was my favorite. It provides, almost, a reverential awe. Because of the architecture.

Shooting this was somewhat tricky, because just trying to shot it in aperture priority was not supplying the shot that I wanted. Luckily with new technology I was able to immediately reference how the pictures turned out. Unlike older cameras that Rancid Koolaid and I discussed long exposure with film cameras. I wouldn't have been happy with the results if I maintained using those settings.

After making some adjustments and finally finding a result I was pleased with I managed to walk away with photos I was very happy with.

Hope you guys enjoy them as much as I did shooting them.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 17:29
WOW !

Skylar, very nice. We visited the Alamo when my BIL lived just outside Houston. Stayed in the old German Hotel ther
My BIL worked for USX at the time. If I remember the town was Sugarland.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 17:40
Good photos!!  I have a great photo of my daughter in the garden behind the Alamo taken in 2004 with my old Zeiss Ikon Contaflex. 

I'll have to scan two million photos and get them digital!!!   Shocked
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 17:43

" Eduardo went to college at San Antonio College about 20 blocks up from the Alamo!!  ( snorfle!!  sniffle!!  ) "  

Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 18:01
Well done, Sky! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 20:19
Nice shots, Sky!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2014 at 18:42
Thanks guys.

This was sort of tricky to shoot, but they came out really well.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2014 at 21:55
As Santa Anna was dploying around the Alamo, their was nothing to remember. I believe that 'remember the Alamo' was the battle cry at the Battle of San Jacinto.

Walking the ramparts of the Alamo is on my bucket list. I've have kin in Waco, and am more than overdue for a visit. A trip to SWFA while in the neighborhood is in that list as well.

ETA; Those photos are actually inspirational !
daveco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2015 at 18:37
I like the compositions, and you nailed the exposure.  I also like it that you could get most of the images without people in them, although people visiting tells a story, too.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2015 at 16:03
Thanks Dave.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic