OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leica or zeiss?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leica or zeiss?
    Posted: September/10/2014 at 11:21
the zeiss Victory PRF and Leica 1000-R CRF are similarly priced, though i think the zeiss is rated at 1300 and the leica at 1k.  which is better?  ease of use? quality of build? glass quality?  display readability?

Thanks in advance.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 11:51
They are both great units with great glass.  The Leica is a lot smaller, that is a big plus in my book.

I have had both and liked both.  I have RF binos now as I prefer one unit. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 11:54
i'd prefer the binos too, but i already own a decent pair of binos and the LRF binos are a bit outside my price range. 

i hadn't considered the size issue, thanks for bringing that up.
Stiller3.43 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiller3.43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 15:08
I too have had both. Zeiss is great it consistently went out past 1400 yds. I did sell it and bought a Leica 1600 and that thing is great. I love it. Spend a lil more and get the 1600 if your gona shoot shoot over a grand.
JMO
"I'm just a monkey on a gun"
-Chris Kyle
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2014 at 15:18
LEICA
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Brocksw View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brocksw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 13:24
I don't believe the Zeiss has a corrected horizontal range function, it just gives you linear distance, maybe that's fine for your purpose but definitely a significant feature.  Leica's most recent 1000-R has "equivalent horizontal range" from 10-660 yards and then linear distance out to 1000+.  The Leica 1600-B has the ballistic arches (12 of them I believe) out to 500 yards and then does EHR from 100-880 yards and linear out to 1600+.  I think the Zeiss just does 1300 yards linear, still a very good range finder though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic